Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Towing with full water tank

Yesterday we purchased a used 2011 ST25RB Question is it OK to pull around these trailers with a full clean water tank. The waste tanks will be empty. My concern is can a tank get damaged or crack from water swishing around? I'm not to concerned about the load on the tow vehicle as I been told that our Silverado Z71 will not know its behind. Well at least till it encounters a strong cross wind I said. Were picking up the trailer Monday to bring it home and new to having a trailer. Been reading in this forum all day trying to gain a little knowledge about a few do's and don'ts finding some interesting reads. Hopefully we'll have it dressed up and homey so we can take it for a try'll run in a week from today.
Aceallenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Team

You should look and see what they used to support the tank.
I reinforced mine because I do travel on occasion with a full tank of fresh water.
If you plan to dry camp, you have to be able to fill the tank.
Here is a couple links you might want to read.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...too-11899.html

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...way-12121.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Before you take some salesmans whose lips were moving word that "your Z71 won't know its back there", go to the scales & spend $10 to prove it.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Lloyd, and sure glad I asked as I see that'll be my first mod. I'm a great believer in preventive medicine, will be checking all the tank installations and fixing that up to my standards. Like most people I'm just not into unnecessary preventable issues when your suppose to be relaxing and enjoying yourself. As the old saying goes, it should be better after your done than it was brand new, and that seems to happen a lot around here.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

My freshwater tank dropped out...

I have always towed with a full fresh water tank. It has to do with the wife trusting the water from home over water "on the road". But thats another subject.
Two years ago, just prior to reaching our destination, we stopped and I smelled gas. Sure enough, the water tank had dropped from under the RB and broken the 'T' fitting in the black pipe gas line.
I repaired it myself with extra support and am now assured it will NEVER drop out again.
Turns out, it was held in by two thin metal straps and a couple of screws. Not enough to support the 300+ lbs of sloshing weight.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

MN SUNSET, that's just the kind of scenario a person wants to avoid. Looking under my trailer I see 2 lengths of 2 inch X 1 inch C channel rods ( look like 1X2 square tubing but only have 3 sides ) that go across from frame to frame that are quite bowed, I'm assuming this is fresh water supports, but not sure if its factory or already added. I'm thinking its for the fresh water as its sorta close to the water filling location. Can't easily tell with the enclosed underbelly. These metal cross members are of a lighter quality. If this is the fresh water supports and if I'm talking about the right area then now would be a good time then to add a few more. supports. Is the fresh water a flat bottom tank, and I ask how big a job to open the underbelly to get an ideal as to see what's needed. You didn't by chance take a few pic? I see that the rubber/plastic enclosure is held there by big flat washers, do I just open it up from the front to inspect, or just undo enough to get a peak, or are these already extra supports
Old 07-30-2017, 12:17 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

The C-irons that go frame to frame are held by single 1/4 inch bolts, The C-iron is hammered flat on one side to allow it to slide between the frame and gas line. So that kinda means reinstalling the gas line in order to put a 1x1.5 inch square tubing inside the C-iron, and thus eliminating some of the bow. So what I think I'll do is double 3/8 bolt the existing C-iron, and I'll even take the bow out before I re-drill. I know the existing C-iron will not tear away from 350 sloshing lbs, I hope.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
Site Team

I think you have the same supports as whats on mine.
Here are a few pics. One is the tank sitting on the floor -- on end. The others are showing the supports with the square tube I added, bolted in the middle of the original supports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103-albums112-picture706t.jpg (87.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg supports 001.jpg (271.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg supports 002.jpg (153.2 KB, 17 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

ThankYou to everyone with your assistance, Re bolted my straps with 5/16ths #5 bolts and locknuts. Redrilled and doubled up the bolts, Thinking that should be twice as good as before, Just hope I'm right, lol.