Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Site Team

I'm using the HawksHead TPMS. Really haven't been very satisfied with the performance lately. Was wondering what others are using and how satisfied you are with it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I use the pressure pro product. Of course mine is 5 years old and still works like a champ. Since the sensors are only on while we are using the trailer the batteries are still working. It will cost big bucks to send them in and get new ones when the time comes. I liked the system you have because you can change out the batteries as the go dead. I am not sure what the exact problem you are having so maybe someone here who uses this system can help you out.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have had the HawksHead for about three years now and so far have had good luck with it. I just changed the batteries in the sensors before our last trip (total cost was under $20). I intend to transfer it to our next unit.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Have the Tire Tracker 2 years no issues. Pressure and temp with replaceable batteries.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Lloyd,

I'm using the TST system, 507 model as I recall. I like the very small monitor. I am using external sensors with replaceable batteries on the truck rear tires. Trailer has internal flow thru sensors that are supposed to have a 7 year battery life. One quite working a few weeks ago and TST sent a replacement w/o question. Otherwise it works as it is supposed to. As should be expected, the internal sensors provide more accurate temp readings than external sensors.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Site Team

When I first got the HH, it worked great. Then antenna came out of the monitor. They sent me a new monitor, but I had trouble getting it to install. Sent it back and they did what ever to it, and sent it back to me. I then could get everything installed, but what I don't like, is it just doesn't seem to read all the time. I've seen it go for a 1/2 day or so and the readings never change. Then it will work just fine.
I thing I noticed on the last trip, was the temperature not reading the same as my heat gun. At times there was a difference of 10 to 20 degrees. With the heat gun reading the highest. I have pretty much lost faith in it. and , yes, I have changed the batteries.
I do like that heat gun tho, I can check temps on all the tires and shoot across and pickup the brakes and wheel bearings on the inside.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Lloyd I use the same brand and haven't had any problems. The longest it has gone before updating (usually first thing in the morning) is about 1/2 hour. I get the batteries on-line for about .75 each and they last about two years. I test it before each trip by removing a sensor and it has always given me an alert in about 5 - 10 seconds.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Site Team

I'm starting to wonder if I need the booster with mine. I have always discounted that idea because it's not very far back to the wheels on my little short rig. But, maybe this monitor isn't up to snuff.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

That should not be the case. That monitor was replaced I guess that is in the back of your thoughts. Any chance you can get them to cooperate again?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Site Team

I doubt it Al. To far out of warranty. They weren't real congenial the last time we communicated.

Just another thought to share---I have seen it in the morning starting out when the outside temp was 60-70 degrees and some of the sensors read that for the better part of the morning.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Question? Is that while towing or just ambient air temps? My updates frequently when towing as road and tire temp rise. It does sound questionable Lloyd.
Edited by: socoguy
Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
I doubt it Al. To far out of warranty. They weren't real congenial the last time we communicated.

Just another thought to share---I have seen it in the morning starting out when the outside temp was 60-70 degrees and some of the sensors read that for the better part of the morning.

Kind of defeats the purpose in having a tpms if you can't get readings 100% of the time. I have never had a problem getting inputs from the sensors, even the ones INSIDE the trailer wheels. Mine also has an ignore mode for the trailer sensors, when running solo. If I forget, within about 15 min. the monitor starts beeping that it is not receiving updates from those sensors.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
Site Team

Thanks to all for your thoughts and feed back. I'm going to give the HH one more try and see how it goes. I might have found the problem. I'll see.