Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Martin&Rog
Hello all. We have a 2011 Cruiser CTX 27RLX. OAL of 29.5'. I pull a smaller single bike trailer behind it. I just purchased the HawksHead Pressure track 4 TPMS with six sensors to install on the 5er and the bike trailer, since I can't see the smaller trailer when towed. I also purchased the signal booster. My question is, the HawksHead website gives no information on the best location to put the signal booster. Anyone have a similar setup or advice? By the way, we will be attending our first factory rally in August. Look forward to meeting you all.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Are you certain that the booster is needed? I have a CTX 29RLX and have a TST tmps and don't need the booster although I don't pull the second trailer. I wouldn't recommend towing the bike trailer with a bumper mounted hitch. My bumper had to be reinforced just with the weight of the spare tire.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I use the HawksHead TPMS on our 35' trailer but do not have a signal booster. I am with Russ, are you sure you need it? Have you tried it without the booster to see if it works? When I set our system up the head unit was inmy truck and it was sitting a good 30'to 50' in front if the trailer.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I also don't have the booster and it works fine for me. In fact, I am getting ready to reinstall it for the trip to Texas. I have walked 100' feet away from the 5er and it still receives a signal.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

First of all thanks for all your feedback. My bike trailer is small and tucks in behind the5erwhere you can't see it. I'd never know if something happened to the tires. With that in mind, I bought the signal booster thinking that it would be better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. HawksHead will take the booster back if you don'tuse it. Also the Cruiser website indicates and shows the CTX line being designed for triple towing. My bike trailer fully loaded is less than 1300lbs. If the rear bumper turns out to be to weak, I'll reinforce it.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

If I were you, I would definitely check with Crossroads before using it to pull your bike trailer.

Think about it, you bought the signal booster just in case, and that is for tires.

What ya gonna do if your bumper fails on the road and you find out after the fact that you should have beefed up the bumper before towing a 1300# trailer behind it. Plus your bike will be trashed from the run away trailer and think of the people behind you that have to deal with a run away trailer.

Id be double sure that the bumper hitch can pull another trailer, FWIW.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

According to the CTX page on the web site, the CTX fifth wheels feature a tandem tow option which boast a 2" receiver built into the frame. You won't need to worry about a bumper hitch.My 25RL has the reciever from the factory and it is welded into the frame.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I received a response to my question from Matt at Cross Roads. The frame manufacturer states that the 2" receiver has a maximum 300# tongue load rating and a maximum 3000# towing load rating. I thinkI'll be alright towing my 1300# bike trailer. Thanks once again for all your feedback.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I'm looking into purchasing a TPMS for my TV and 5er this year and I'm just looking for any recommendations. From what I can see, its really down to the TST or hawkshead. Both are 'comparably' priced. I've been reading on some other forums that some people think the sealed type battery systems are better than the replaceable type battery systems... the sealed ones have a longer life span but more of a hassle to refurbish or replace them as opposed to buying a new battery and be on your way again. Any positive (or negative) stories?
Thanks!!

Edited by: happycampers
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I've had the TST for about a year now and towed about 7000 miles with it. It works fine and relieves some of the tension of towing. TST now has a unit with user replaceable batteries which wasn't available when I purchased my unit. I did have a sensor that didn't work out of the box and the factory replaced it. Steel valve stems are required and I had the wheels rebalanced with the senors installed.The signal booster isn't needed on my unit. I bought mine from the factory and they were offering an extra year warranty at the time and the price was the best I could find.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 03-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I see the Hawkshead website is now offering T valve stems so you can fill the tire with air without removing the sensor. That sounds like a nice option. Have not replaced the batteries yet but I like the idea of being able to get them easily at most stores.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

has this system saved a blow out for anyone ? (or proven to be a good investment?)

If the bearings were to go on the unit, would it be noticed through the tire temp?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

russ-carol: I read in another forum (can't remember which one) but someone had their tire balanced with and without the sensor and the balancer didn't even notice a difference
Was that not the case with yours?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Happycampers- There was some difference in the balance with the steel stems and sensors.

Russ
2009 F-150XLT