Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
New Camper

Trailer Cover Recommendations

Just picked up a new 2017 Sunset Trail 330BH and am looking to purchase a cover to keep it looking nice and new. Specs list the length as 37', but I am wondering what size cover current owners have used successfully. I assume I may need to add length for AC and spare, just not sure how much more?
backpacker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

As long as it is out of warranty. Crossroads says no to covers. At least they use too.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Glad this topic has been brought up. I too am ready to buy a cover for my 250RB. While I never wanted to buy a cover, for various reasons, my dealer suggested that I do buy a cover if for no other reason, but to protect it from the sun damage. I just received my 250RB back, a few weeks ago, from having warranty work completed. This would include having the front cap repainted. While the cap was not faded as much as many others, it was faded from the sun. The dealer said they believed it would happen again if I chose not to cover it. So, I am about to buy a cover and any suggestions would be helpful. (Saving money on Amazon vs. buying from the dealer).

2016 Sunset TraiL 250 RB
2011 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
GBZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Not a fan of covers but this one did interest me. https://www.adcoprod.com/Roof-top-covers

If the front cap was repainted with automotive paint, it should never fade again. Just like a car.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBZY View Post
Glad this topic has been brought up. I too am ready to buy a cover for my 250RB. While I never wanted to buy a cover, for various reasons, my dealer suggested that I do buy a cover if for no other reason, but to protect it from the sun damage. I just received my 250RB back, a few weeks ago, from having warranty work completed. This would include having the front cap repainted. While the cap was not faded as much as many others, it was faded from the sun. The dealer said they believed it would happen again if I chose not to cover it. So, I am about to buy a cover and any suggestions would be helpful. (Saving money on Amazon vs. buying from the dealer).
In the past several years the front & rear caps fading has been an issue on EVERY make/brand/model with colored gelcoat whether stored in the sun or not.
In my opinion if you live where there's any wind the cover will do as much damage, or more, than the sun. Once dust/dirt get under the cover it's like sandpaper on every corner.
Not to mention being a royal PITA to put on.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

To cover or not to cover

Unfortunately I can't tell you what my current cover is since I made the dealer give me one when I bought the unit and its not with me now. Its my second cover. Here's what I have found.

!. The sun WILL eat your finish alive.

2. I wash/wax my 5'er and put rubber balls on the downspouts before putting on cover. I have not noticed any "sandpaper" effect. If you live in the dusty windy desert SW or Great Plains, you might.

3. Covers save a lot of scrubbing if you park under oak trees.

4. Covers aren't much help when large oak branches fall.

5. Covers tend to be fairly flimsy, perhaps as the cost of breathability. A really heavy wind could split and remove it, especially if you don't keep up with repairs. (See # 6.)

6. Gorilla tape is your friend. (See # 5.) Also getting the cover as snug as possible.

7. Covers are ephemeral. With obsessive care, you might get 5 or 6 years out of one, possibly more. Alternatively, I suppose you could end up with a new one made of Gorilla Tape. (See #6.)

8. Covers are a PITA to install or remove but I feel they are less work than the work needed for a naked 5'er.

This is just my experience, of course. Your mileage may differ. I'm sure location makes a big difference. I think the best ways to maximize benefits are to get the cover as tight as possible so It doesn't flap and be vigilant for small rips or seam separations. You also have to be patient and gentle in installing and removing. I feel its worth the hassle just for the sun protection and the reduced crud scrubbing is a bonus. Don't forget the Gorilla Tape.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
Site Team

That was an excellent write up Tom. Don't see many like that on this particular subject.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
That was an excellent write up Tom. Don't see many like that on this particular subject.
Thanks Lloyd. I don't write much because I don't know much but if I'm pretty sure my little bit of hard earned knowledge is accurate, I like to pass it on. I appreciate it when someone else does it for me in the sea of opinion and acrimony.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Yes, thanks for those who replied. I definitely will follow everyone's advice if I do buy a cover. Unfortunately, I am unable to use the 250rb as much as I would like. Therefore, it sits in my driveway, exposed to the elements of weather.

Thanks again

2016 Sunset TraiL 250 RB
Old 03-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Which leads to a product I use on my exterior.
RejeX® - Official Site

I like it a lot. Has a good UV protector in it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks Mark for the product link.

2016 Sunset TraiL 250 RB