Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

OK here is the Situation

I have been considering an RV cover from Campers World

We own a CrossRoads Sunset Trail 26BH which according to the dealer and manufacturer is a 26 foot trailer. Measured from the rear bumper to the front of the trailer cap.

I had taken these measurements to be somewhat close, but when I was getting ready to order a cover, Campers World recommends that one actually measure their trailer. from the rear spare tire carrier to the front cap not including propane tanks or hitch.

So out I go with my trusty tape measure (not the same one I use for fishing) I carefully measure 3 times and what I get is something around 30 feet not 26. Even if I subtract rear bumper and spare tire I still have a trailer that is longer than 26 feet, more like 29 feet.

Is it possible that we actually have a 29BH (which was/is a 2012 model, although when we looked at the 29's the floor plan was different).

Can some one else who owns a 2012 26BH Sunset Trail check their unit and let me know.

Also, I understand that manufacturers recommendation is to NOT cover any units with tarps or covers during winter/extended months. Last year when we covered our trailer with a large tarp (fully wrapped) in the spring when I removed the tarp I found that in several places (particularly
corner beads) the tarp had wore the paint off down to the bare aluminum.

What are owners thoughts on covering?

Does anyone know if the covers sold (ADCO is the maker) have a softer interior and less likely to cause wear and wear on the exterior?

Remember we live in Calgary and some winters are cold (-20) and blustery, and we can get hugh amounts of snow. I think the cover would protect against wind and snow.

Thoughts.

Thanks
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

26 is only a model number not lenght of camper. I would not cover my camper.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

my trailer is a 32ck but measures just shy of 35ft. The model # has no relation to the length. x2 on no cover. It creates a place for condensation to build up and wears on the camper.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

A typical rule of thumb is that the model number is actually the box length. Actual length includes bumper and hitch.

If you look at a model, add 2 feet and you will be close. For example, ours is a 27BHSE, but actual bumper to tongue is about 28'-6". Box is 27ft.

Sometimes actual is even more. We like the Sunset Trail 26BH - total length is just over 30ft.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

But I am not including the tongue.

The Spare tire carrier is approximately 10" added to the rear bumper, but I still get a measurement of 30 feet for the "box".

Now as we have a bowed front cap on the trailer maybe that makes some of the difference. However I am talking a +4 feet difference.

But thanks for hte input
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote