Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hey all.

So we are staying in our trailer (hopefully) until the end of October. The weather up here in Calgary get's to be a bit whimsical and looks like tonight it is supposed to drop to a temp of about -6 Celsius (21 F).

They are shutting down the water for the night, and turning it back on tomorrow. Last night it got down to about 0 or -1 Celsius, no issues.

Just wondering, we have a Sunset Trail 26BH, has the enclosed under belly and I believe the ducted heating.

We have yet to really run the furnace, just using the electric fireplace, and space heater. We left the hot water heater running off propane last night.

Some folks at the park said to just turn of the water feed hose, and unhook it, and leave the propane water heater running.
That being said, is that enough?
Should we be worried about the grey/black tanks at all?
Any water lines?

Kind of new to all of this.

Thanks.

wikdslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

As long as you have heat in the trailer you should be fine.

Beautiful country. Although I seem to recall the it felt like forever to drive from the airport to Banff. Enjoy your trip.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I normally unhook the water line and drain it, during the night we use the pump. Not sure why you were told to run the W/H on propane, I'd leave it on electric (if you have enough amperage). I also run the fireplace all night with the furnace running occasionally. The grey and black tanks should be fine.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
I normally unhook the water line and drain it, during the night we use the pump. Not sure why you were told to run the W/H on propane, I'd leave it on electric (if you have enough amperage). I also run the fireplace all night with the furnace running occasionally. The grey and black tanks should be fine.

Well, someone at the park had recommended not using the electric water heater, since it isn't as good, but they also worked there and probably say that so they make $$ in selling propane and not lose it on the flat rate i pay for electricity

Appreciate the advice.
I was thinking,
Disconnect the hose and let it drain out as much as it will on it's own.
Electric water heater on.
Furnace on to keep some heat to the Grey/Black tanks.
Portable space heater on (for the kids bunk).

This should ensure that my H/W tank is heated,
My grey/black are warmed enough to not freeze
The trailer is kept warm, and I won't have to worry about any lines.

Sound about right?

The electric water heater AND the electric fireplace won't run at the same time, the switch for them is an either/or, but not both.

BOO!

Thanks for the help folks.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2
As long as you have heat in the trailer you should be fine.

Beautiful country. Although I seem to recall the it felt like forever to drive from the airport to Banff. Enjoy your trip.
Not that long of a drive, plus it is one of the nicer drives you will take in your life!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I think you just about got it. The only thing else might be to ensure the outside shower hose is drained out.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We are just a few hours north of you, and going through similar weather right now. -6 is no problem, its not going to cause any issues with your trailer. When we are out in those temps, I unhook the water line at night and leave it at that. We have stayed in our Seville when it was -20C (-4F) and nothing froze up. At that time we put a space heater in the basement. Bought a heated hose for the water hookup, and put antifreeze in the outdoor shower. I dont think our fireplace ever got turned off. Also went through a 30 pound bottle of propane in about 48 hours.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Lenny,
Wow, are you kdding? 30# of propane in 48 hours? I take it that it must not have warmed up that much during the day. I boondocked (with electricity) when it got down to 20F and at the time had no electric heaters...kept my furnace at 63 and it hardly kicked on during the day when it was in the low 40's. I think for anything to totally freeze up it has to be in the 20's for sustainded periods of time...as long as it warms above freezing during the day you should be fine...put a glass of water outside in an uncapped insulated drinking cup. Watch what happens to that and let that be your guide...JMHO

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Nope, not kidding. Overnight lows of -20C or -4F, and daytime highs of -15C or +5F. Got to be expensive after about a week...

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

With city water shut off at night and using the 12v water pump, the biggest risk is not with the fresh water tank or the black/grey tanks, but with the pick-up tube for the pump. It is a small diameter tube on the side of the tank and right next to the steel frame I beam. It is not close to the furnace duct that heats the basement and there is limited air flow, so it is the most likely item to freeze.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
With city water shut off at night and using the 12v water pump, the biggest risk is not with the fresh water tank or the black/grey tanks, but with the pick-up tube for the pump. It is a small diameter tube on the side of the tank and right next to the steel frame I beam. It is not close to the furnace duct that heats the basement and there is limited air flow, so it is the most likely item to freeze.
I actually never filled the holding tank, ever! Since I got it new 2 months ago we have been on city water, so we just disconnect and do without water through the night.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikdslo

Quote:
I actually never filled the holding tank, ever! Since I got it new 2 months ago we have been on city water, so we just disconnect and do without water through the night.

That works until the city water stays frozen longer than just over night. The fresh water tank, pickup tube and 12v pump will still be usable when outside water is shut off for days. Something you may want to reconsider.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
That works until the city water stays frozen longer than just over night. The fresh water tank, pickup tube and 12v pump will still be usable when outside water is shut off for days. Something you may want to reconsider.
Sounds good. At present, we are only in this until November 1st. Then we have a condo rented to stay in through the winter.

Looks like we may have decent enough weather until then I hope!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Hey we have a 26BH and also live in Calgary.

Are you visiting or living here?

There is so much house construction I think that lots of people are living in their RV.

My theory on the water situation is:

a. the electric heater would certainly keep hot water tank OK, of course can not run Fire Place and Elec water heater

b. let all taps trickle and water at -6 should not freeze, wasteful but I have done that in a house I rented that constantly had 1 line freeze regularly.

c. dump some (1 gallon) good old windshield washer fluid into holding tanks. black water pour into toilet that goes directly into tank. Grey water pour into tub it also goes directly into tank.
Windshield washer fluid is cheap ($2-3 bucks at the most) It freezes at -50 so the alcohol will keep waste water from freezing.

d. snuggle up close to someone and enjoy the cool crisp night weather, Indian summer is great around 0 (Celius) at night and warm 10 - 12 during day.

egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

If the trailer is stationary, you could consider skirting it with some 2inch rigid insulation and some type of face board (fence board, plywood, siding etc.). This will help the tanks and plumbing.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

..... or follow the seasons!
Travel Well / Travel Safe

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

About five years ago, I stayed in our CF28CK while we were building a new stick and brick house. It was in the middle of the winter and the temps got down to 14F (10C) on several nights.
Ihad no problem with the water freezing, but I did disconnect the city water connection from the RV water inlet on the nights when the temps were forecast to go below about 25F.
I realize this is short sleeve weather for "youse" guys up in Canada and the northern tier of the states but down here in TX, it's down right cold.

I did have one time that the water temporarily froze right at the connection just past the water filter going into the RV. I knew where it was and applied heat froma hair dryer and it broke loose inless than a minute of direct heat at the filter connection.
On the weekends, I would leave the thermostat set at 55*and had no issues with the water heater since it's inside the RV and on electric.

On the propane issue. 30#s in 48 hours is about right for those temps. I was going thru 2 - 30# tanks in five days, but I kept the thermostat down to 60* in the daytime when I was on the jobsite.

As long as there is heat in the RV for the sustained period, you need not worry about the grey or blackwater holding tanks. Same for the fresh water holding tank since it's located in an area protected by the underbelly insulation.

Some time back there was a post about someonefull timingin their Crossroads RV when the temps got down to 18*/20*F for several weeks and they didn't have any problems with frozen water pipes.
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote