Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
New Camper

Trailer or LT tires

I have a heavy 5th wheel (34’ paradise pointe) and have had two blowouts recently. I am replacing my older trailer style tires with LT load range E. The old tires still look like new but are several years old. Which are best for a heavy RV trailer tires or LT tires?
slwilliams625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We just recently had a discussion here about blowouts and warnings on the cheep Chinese trailer tires. A lot of members have switched to Goodyear Endurance tires (including myself). Here is the post: https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ing-13927.html

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Here is an easy tip as to WHY you should check out Goodyear endurance trailer tires. Go to the Goodyear dealer and ask to look and handle an endurance tire, just stick your thumb into the sidewall and press and examine that quality, there is your selling feature. then go do the same thing to any other tire on the market. Your not going to duplicate that anywhere else. Our trailer became the best handling bumper mount trailer I have ever experienced since switching over to Endurance. Guaranteed and I have no reason to kid ya..
Old 08-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

What about the Hartland tires? I have been reading all threads as well. Our TT came with C rated tires. Both endurance and Hartland would be an upgrade to the D rating in my size. We have a couple more trips planned, then storing it for the winter, but before next season they will be replaced. Local Discount tire has the Hartland rated as good, endurance as best. But there is a $50 price difference between the two. We don't do more than a 3 hour trip at a time, no long distance over the road camping here. On the website I can't see the difference other than endurance being 4 lbs heavier per tire.

Thoughts?
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I can’t speak to the Heartland tires referenced here, but I want to add my two cents in support of the Goodyear Endurance tires. I replaced my “China Bombs” two years ago, as soon as I could after seeing the discussions on this forum. I am super pleased with them and the trailer tows great! I’m not dissing the option to go with LT tires at all, I just know I’m very satisfied with the Goodyear ST tires I have now.
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Personally, I like LT tires. I've had a set for nearly 4 years and thousands of miles. I made the dealer put them on before I bought the trailer.

All truck tires are built to haul people rather than stuff so they have a better safety margin for legal reasons IMHO. Unless you are running industrial G or H rated Goodyears or similar, I think you are better off with a comparable LT tire. If yahoos can hotrod their pickup trucks with them, they will be fine on a safely driven trailer. Many disagree but I think a D or E LT tire is superior to all or almost all ST tires. LT tires built better and are more forgiving for the legal reasons cited. I did a lot of research and you should too so you can make an informed decision that YOU are comfortable with.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #7
Site Team

I agree with stormseeker.
I purchased a set of Good Year Wrangler LT's back in 2013. I'm satisfied with them.
Like stormseeker said, do your research and buy what you are comfortable with.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

ST vs LT tires is like apples vs oranges, they are designed/ rated totally different. E.g. the ST235/80r16 rated at 3520# at 80psi, where the LT225/75r16E rated at 2680# at 80psi. Further, side forces on a dual/ triple axle TRAILER tire are totally different from a Dually or a steering tire on a MOTORHOME/ TRUCK. You may also find all against you in court/ liability involving accidents/ death if running tires outside of recommended. Buy the good/ best tires for each application, put the LT tire on the truck and put the ST on the trailer.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
Site Team

At the start of the 2017 season I replaced my ST225/75R15 China bombs with German made Michelin XPS RIB LT225/75R16 tires on new 16" wheels. The trailer sits more level with the taller tires and tows so much easier than before. The best part is the ease of mind on the highway. I don't think twice about the tires if I ease up to 80 to pass someone. Before, I was on pins and needles all of the time trying to stay under 65.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
You may also find all against you in court/ liability involving accidents/ death if running tires outside of recommended. Buy the good/ best tires for each application, put the LT tire on the truck and put the ST on the trailer.

I have never seen any rules, regulations, or laws that state what type of tire you have to run/use on your car, truck, trailer, or RV.
Curious as to where you came up with your information.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

To me, some is logic; in a case of injury/ death, lawyer would look at tires/ MFR as a possibly defendant, (e.g. Recalls) where tires contributed to the loss of control, (even without a blowout). Where the owner ran tires that were NOT recommended, and lawyer discovered that the tires involved were rated at 1000# LESS (+/-) capacity per tire, I.e. TON PER AXLE LESS that "contributed to" or "were the direct cause of the BLOWOUT leading to the accident", he now goes after the vehicle owner (assuming they lived?) and the tire installer/ supplier (vs the MFR)? Another easy one is the accident where the lawyer can prove the driver was going 75-80, while running tires "rated maximum 65-mph"? But what do I know?
Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

(Another analogy)... suppose you ran a tire was was labeled "NOT for highway/ high speed use"... and blowout contributed to injury/ death?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #13
Site Team

So if my truck came with P rated tires I should not put on LT tires as it did not come with them.
If my trailer came with St 225 75 15 tires I should not change to ST 235 75 15 tire as it did not come with them.

I think somewhere the op question got lost and now we have lawyers involved. If you don't want to run Lt tires on your camper then don't. A lot do with no problems. I have Goodyear St tires on my camper and I run LT tires on my utility trailer. Right or wrong that's what I run.

There are things more important in this world to worry about then what someone else runs on there trailer. I go CAMPING TO GET AWAY AND RELAX.I know my tires are in good condition so off to the woods I go.

HAPPY CAMPING
dagst1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
Site Team

Running tires labeled "NOT for highway/ high speed use" shouldn't even enter the picture.

I think the topic is getting carried away with analogies and assumptions.

dagst1 is right --

I think somewhere the op question got lost and now we have lawyers involved.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #15
Site Team

It comes down to run what you want.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:19 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

It is my understanding that some manufacturers have installed LT tires as OEM equipment but I can't cite a specific example. ST tires in the lower load ranges, especially the cheap ones that mid to lower RV builders use, frankly terrify me. If you upgrade sufficiently in load range and quality, ST tires are probably fine but I think LT tires are generally more forgiving and I have personal experience that they are superior to factory Chinese ST tires.

In the 40 years I spent as an insurance adjuster, I don't recall a driver ever being nicked for wrong tires or even bald tires, only for being careless or stupid behind the wheel. (And I've talked to investigating officers who've said "the tires were so bald, you could see the air inside.") If you hit someone or something you automatically have all the liability you can stand and the only reason a lawyer or insurance company would look at a tire is to try to drag the manufacturer in as a deep pocket for additional money for a defective product. If the tire did not blow, they wouldn't bother. I don't know about DOT but, again, I've not seen them comment on tire type in an accident, which doesn't mean they never have.

My bottom line is that you are far more likely to have an ST tire blow. Your mileage may vary.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:20 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

All it takes is one blow out to make you question the ST tires. On the last unit I replaced the tires because of age and after three years they were cracking. I took the tire stores word on the replacements I had a blow out with in 100 miles of leaving that store. Only minor damage (1000.00) replaced those with Carlies which had a decent rep. Blow out in two years (7000.00) dollars worth of damage that blow out took out two tires replaced with LT tires no more blow outs while I had that unit. in three years. Do not forget the spare tires I had a blow out on it while camping just blew while parked granted it was 7 years old. This new unit I brought it home and Have put the new Goodyears on like them a lot better construction than the Chinees Bombs seems to tow better also. Oh yes I had to buy new rims when I ent to the LT as they do not make a 15 inch LT tire that I could find
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:23 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
All it takes is one blow out to make you question the ST tires. On the last unit I replaced the tires because of age and after three years they were cracking. I took the tire stores word on the replacements I had a blow out with in 100 miles of leaving that store. Only minor damage (1000.00) replaced those with Carlies which had a decent rep. Blow out in two years (7000.00) dollars worth of damage that blow out took out two tires replaced with LT tires no more blow outs while I had that unit. in three years. Do not forget the spare tires I had a blow out on it while camping just blew while parked granted it was 7 years old. This new unit I brought it home and Have put the new Goodyears on like them a lot better construction than the Chinees Bombs seems to tow better also. Oh yes I had to buy new rims when I ent to the LT as they do not make a 15 inch LT tire that I could find
Amen! I had to get rims too. Well worth it.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormseeker View Post
Amen! I had to get rims too. Well worth it.

Same here.