Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
New Camper

travel trailer tanks

Ok we just purchased a used travel trailer and new to using one. I know that some of the gray water tanks don't hold a lot so I was wondering if I find a area to park the trailer and it has full hookup does that mean that the gray water is hooked up to a sewer line or tank so it goes right on out of the camper?? Also like do we carry water with us or when we arrive at a campground we water hookup also??
farmboysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you are at a fhu site, then you can leave your grey open if you desire. I prefer to hook it , keep my drain valve closed and just open and drain as needed. Never leave your black tank open. You want to keep at least a couple gallons of water in your black tank at all times to help prevent the dreaded stone mountain from forming. I try to get it @ least 2/3 full before dumping (you may need to run water into it to accomplish this.) This will help with draining. We also flush ours out really well after each use (a clear elbow on the sewer hose will help you see when this is accomplished.) I also use the Geo method to maintain my black tank. You do not need rv specific toilet paper, single ply septic safe like angel soft is ok to use.

For fresh water, I keep a minimal amount in there for bathroom breaks on the road. I hook up to city water at the campground.

If you are partial hookup then water conservation is key for your grey tank or you can get a honey wagon/blue tote to empty grey into. Some state parks may have limited water hook ups so you may opt to fill your water tank there or at home for that. I keep a y connector to hook two water hoses up in case I have to share a tap with someone. I also use a water pressure regulator to keep from having too much pressure in the lines (approxinately $8 @ Wal-Mart I believe).

Remember you want the white fresh water hose for drinking water and a separate hose for flushing your black tank.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

X 2. Well said anaro!!
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
Ken
Weekend Camper

One more thing that is cheap and well worth it when camping for more than a weekend. We bought one of those tank caps that have the garden hose connections on the end of it because some of the campsites that we frequently visit let us dump our grey water out in the grass. We bring about a 100ft garden hose and let some grey water out when needed during the stay, it is a lot easier than using the blue tote.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
One more thing that is cheap and well worth it when camping for more than a weekend. We bought one of those tank caps that have the garden hose connections on the end of it because some of the campsites that we frequently visit let us dump our grey water out in the grass. We bring about a 100ft garden hose and let some grey water out when needed during the stay, it is a lot easier than using the blue tote.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
some of the campsites that we frequently visit let us dump our grey water out in the grass.

ok Tim please pass the popcorn.

ken- this is not allowed most places and in fact IIRC is usually considered illegal dumping. At best it will attract all kinds of critters to your campsite and create nasty odors as well as unsanitary conditions. please share these campgrounds so I can avoid them.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Ken
Weekend Camper

It's actually a very nice campground that we spend about 6 to 7 weekends a year and there has never been any issue with bugs or a smell. I am pretty sure it is not illegal if there is a sign when you enter the campground. The particular campground that I do this has RV space very spread out so it's not like you are dumping grey water any where near other campsites. Pretty much every campsite that I visit will have it posted wether you are allowed to discharge grey water or not and yes most do not but there are some and the ones that do that I have been to it has not had any bad affects or I would not camp there

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote