Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I will be driving from Washington state to Florida in mid-March. Has any made this trip (or something similar) during that time frame? I basically have three routes I am looking at:

I-90, I-84, and I-5 to I-10. I want to avoid as much bad weather and road conditions as possible (i.e. snowy/icy mountain passes), especially with the rig behind me.

Thanks,

Jim

(and the kids- Christopher and Jenna)

2008 ST31QB

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty (7.3 Diesel)

https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSC_0633.jpg
JimandCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Team

I guess if you want to avoid the conditions you described, you would be much better off to run 5 down to 10. I haven't been to far on 5, but have went all the way across on 90 and 94 from WI. the end of Dec. with just our car. I would not have wanted the 5er behind me on that trip.
You never know when those passes will get dumped on. Mid Mar. is still winter up there.

I traveled on 5 more then I remembered We went from Portland down to some where around the Bakersfield area, then cut across to AZ.
Not a bad route.
If you want to see the northern route you could do that on the way back maybe.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I've done a fair amount of traveling during this time of year. I wasn't pulling a trailer but I'll relate what I think. I90 looks like an accident waiting to happen. I 80 looks better but not by much! If you can pick the time you leave, and can get a good 2 day weather window to get you to I10, you should be in the clear from there. It's not the most direct route but I believe that it is definitely the safest, especially if you can pick that first 2 day weather window.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I drive I-5 and I-10 a lot. In March you should be good to go as long as youavoid any late snow storms over the Siskiyou's in So Oregon/No Cal. The southern Cal passes are only 4,000 ft and will be open. If you want to avoid LA ( I always do), take hwy 58 east at Bakerfield to Hwy40 to Needles then drop down to Hwy 10 on either the Cal or Arizona side of the Colordo river. You will see a ton of RVers traveling those routes at that time of year. Hwy 10 will be good to Texas. I haven't been beyond Texas at that time of year so I can't say for sure but since it is the southern route, I expect it will be fine all the way to Florida. Maybe a tornado here and there but good oterwise.

You will want to keep track of the weather since the springcan be avery active time of year weatherwise. You can have some pretty windy days in the spring here in the west, especially in the mountains and deserts,so it's always a good idea to watch the wind reports.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
jeb
Family Vacation Member

I-10 from Texas to Florida and then I-75 south is clean and green.

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks Ridgeman. I think I will take your advice- Ireally hate the 55mph limit in CA, but I like your recommendation to avoid LA.

Jim

(and the kids- Christopher and Jenna)

2008 ST31QB

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty (7.3 Diesel)

https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSC_0633.jpg
JimandCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Glad to help Jim. If you drive 55 you will probably be the slowesttrailer on the road.As you know it is the max speed limit for trailers and big rigsin Calif, but not many folks drive that speed. I usually travel at 60 unless I see the 18 wheelers slowing down to 55. They usually ID when and where the speed traps are and pass it alongon their CB's and all of them will slow down. If your not passing big rigs you are probably OK. Or you could slow down and enjoy the ride, you'll only be in Calif for about800 miles.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote