Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Tripping Breaker-AC and Microwave Use

Every time we attempt to use the microwave while the AC is on, we trip the breaker!

Our TT is wired for 50 amps, but we were told by the dealer that we would only ever need to connect to to 50 if we added a second AC, which we have not nor plan to.

Our power connection is as follows:
50 amp cord > 50 to 30 adapter > 30 amp Surge Guard > breaker box

In order to use the microwave when the AC is running, do we need to plug straight into a 50 amp box?

2018 Crossroads Z-1 Zinger 328SB
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Missouri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cuevrojamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Site Team

The microwave and the AC running at the same time on a 30 amp plug in isn't going to work very well. Especially if you have other things going at the same time.

We had a small class c MH and there was a switch for either micro or AC. You couldn't run both at the same time.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Need to hook up to 50 amp service. Like Lloyd said, 30 won't cut it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Yip! One or the other or 50

Old 07-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for confirming everyone.

cuevrojamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

If it won't, it won't. 50 amp is always better if you've got it. But after experimentation, on a good 30 amp circuit I could run the AC and one other large appliance, including microwave. The AC will run on my 20 amp barn circuit which leaves at least 10 more amps. If there's a poor connection somewhere down the line, that could be a factor. I had that experience once in an old campground where 3 strands of stranded 12 gauge wire were trying to carry 30 amps.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

30 amps should work as that is the only hook up I have unless I use an adapter.

You probably have a week circuit breaker. I had to replace at least one of mine as we could not use a hair drier with ac on

With new cb all is well.

Joe

Been fixing a lot of cheap build issues on our 3 year old 250. New waterpump (quit) new city water connection (leaked) new gear box for the slide (broken case) rebuilt bottom shelf of pantry so it could hold a case of water bottles
(collapsed ) new circuit breaker for fan bathroom circuit (kept tripping)

Far too much and just starting our 3rd summer of Use
Smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
New Camper

I'm Mike Sokol from the No~Shock~Zone, and I write extensively about RV power hookups and safety. Here's something I just wrote for my RVelectricity newsletter about calculating watts available from a 20, 30 and 50 amp service. What confuses many RVers (and salespeople) is that a 50 amp service is really two legs of 50 amps each, so there's 100 amps of current available. That suggests that a 30-amp service can provide 3,600 watts of power, while a 50-amp service can provide 12,000 watts of power, more than 3 times as much. So if you can find a 50-amp pedestal, you'll always want to plug into it. If you have an RV designed for a 50-amp/240-volt cordeset, then they tend to put power hungry appliances in it. For instance, a higher watter microwave/convection oven, etc... You can limp along on a 30-amp pedestal, but running two big appliances at the same time (AC and Microwave) probably won't work. Read about it here: RV Electricity – Watt's Up? - RV Travel
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to k5sat Send a message via Yahoo to k5sat
Tripping Breaker

I have the exact RV with the exact breaker problem. We always hook to 50A. My RV mechanic advised to let the AC run and cool down the RV before trying to use the Microwave or anything that pulls a lot of amps. He was right. No more breakers tripped when we let the RV cool down.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
Site Team

Our rig came with a breaker panel that had quite a few of what they call - double breakers. They are junk. I had extra slots in the breaker panel so I converted everything to the single pole breakers. That was a huge benefit. It ended most, if not all of my breaker problems.

The double pole breakers are guilty of when one side is drawing a lot of amps, it will tend to heat up the other pole also. Needless to say this causes a lot of issues.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
Site Team

When I changed my converter I also changed to single breakers and that helped. Just a side note was at Mark Twain lake over the weekend and all the boxes we checked the 30 amp plug had a sticker that said 24 amp max. the 20 amp said 16 amp max. The campground area we were in had no 50 amp service.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:28 AM   #12
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Just a side note was at Mark Twain lake over the weekend and all the boxes we checked the 30 amp plug had a sticker that said 24 amp max. the 20 amp said 16 amp max. The campground area we were in had no 50 amp service.
REALLY!!! Would you happen to have a picture of the pedestal sign that said 24 amp and 16 amp max? If so, please forward it to me at mike@noshockzone.org. Or you can just post it here.

I'm currently working on a nationwide safety campaign to catalogue a list of campgrounds with substandard and dangerous pedestal wiring. This database will be online at RVtravel and RVelectricity for everyone to access.

Mike Sokol

the No~Shock~Zone
Old 07-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #13
Site Team

I do not have any pictures but have reservations again 3 weeks from now will try to remember to have the wife take some. We were in the group camp area at indian creek rec area.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

X2 Lloyd, when I had my 5th wheel. the double breakers are junk. get rid of them.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #15
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
I do not have any pictures but have reservations again 3 weeks from now will try to remember to have the wife take some. We were in the group camp area at indian creek rec area.

Thanks very much. If you could do a few close-up as well a full campsite pictures that would be great. I really appreciate your help.

Mike Sokol