Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Does anyone know how much room is needed to turn my 5er around? We have a place in the country that we'd like to visit, but not sure if there'd be enough room to turn my rigaround. It's a small lot only 65 ft wide, think that would be enough ? Maybe with the slider fifth wheel in the back position would help save my back glass on the TV, what do you think?...any experience to share?...Thanks...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I'm going to have to give you specifics later (I have to go measure my drive) since I have to make a 180 circle to park mine on the storage pad. I make a "U" turn and can stay on the concrete with my truck but the 5er tracks inside the truck by 4 feet or so at the apex of the turn.

My drive on the south is 2 cars wide with a 2 car turn around going to a single drive. Dimensions I don't have but I will get them. I do have to hug the south (right) side and run as far forward as I can before I start making the turn.

Edited by: WoodcarvingGypsy
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I do the same as Al. I have a U turn and then once straightened out again I back up into the parking space. My driveway is 60' wide and I use all of it. I don't use the slider but did the first few times and it helps make a sharper turn. I also had the wife watch the window area to make sure it didn't hit and it does come close (as in very close) when I don't use the slider. Hope this helps.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Thanks guys, think I'll try it...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

go to walmarts or other large parking lot (off hours)get all the way over by a curb and make your turn,when you get it made,measure from the camper to the curb.
just a thought

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I would think 65' should be plenty. Don't know how tight your truck turns but the one I had (pictured) had a very sharp turning radius and had no problems with making contact with truck to trailer. It was an '08 F450. Have a 2012 F350 4WD and the turning radius is no where near what I had. What I don't appreciate is the trailer tires slide and drag across the ground when turning real tight, but doesn't seem to present a problem. Was told, by someone from factory, may have been Randy, to just make sure, after turning, you pull straight for a bit to re-align the tires. Hope it all works out for you, let us know how you make out.

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Since a fifth wheel tracks inside the radius of the truck, just check the truck website for the minimum turning radius of your vehicle configuration (changes with wheel base and 4WD vs 2WD), then give yourself some extra clearance. I have a 75' diameter turn around, and don't come close to locking the wheels.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote