Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #1

What do you use for TV as far as satellite? I have a winguard Carry out and have difficult time getting reception. Does anyone have better ideas for satellite? This is like totally frustrating for me everytime we move to re set this dome thing up and half the time I get no signal at all.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher
I use a Winegard Trav'lr that is the HD antenna. It's fully automatic and kinda pricey, but it's 1 button push. I built a tripod base for it. These are meant to be permanently mounted on the roof of an RV, but I didn't want to drill all the holes. I put it in the back of my pickup when I'm traveling. You could strap it to a rear bumper mounted platform I suppose.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We just bought a wineguard carry out in Feb. Had trouble picking up the signal. I talked with a dish installer and he said that one problem with the carry out is that it operates off a single lnb. I actually think the manuel antenna is better.

2012 King Ranch,F350,CC,SRW,

LWB,FX4,6.7 Diesel

2012 CR Cruiser 330SS

God Bless

https://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/...ictures005.jpg
Traveling Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

We bought a Tailgater this spring and have had great luck with it. You set it on the ground, plug the coax into the satelite receiver and wait for it to get set up, all you have to do is tell it what state you're in. This is a Dishnetwork product and requires a subscription.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I read that it has to be level.
firefighter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Yes, thats true, but so far I haven't found that to be a big problem.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We had a Winegard Carryout, older one and had Direct TV service. I switched carriers to Dish RV service because I could turn off service for months we werent using trailer. We purchased aDish tripod satilite on line $128.00. It gets all three main satilites, 110, 119 and 129. Took a while for my husband to figure out extact transendors and elevations. He has it down now. Since we purchased the Dish Service, Direct is now offering the same RV package. Our winegard DID have to be level for sure. The Dish satillite is mounted on a tripod and works fine. EXCEPTION!! The tripod needs to be weighted down, as a wild wind can knock it over. We have it tied to a cement brick. I have seen other fill gallon milk bottle with sand and tie under tripod.

I am thinking now of purchaseing another transceiver box from Dish for the second TV in the bedroom. Camping has to be perfect right???
Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I also use the Winegard Carryout with Direct. It usually takes my about 30 minutes to set up and get a signal. Ounce I get the signal I have never lost it. My buddy who we go camping with all the time has Dish with one of those Winegard auto find satellites. He plugs it in and has signal a minute later, its pretty sweet. But I paid 120 bucks for my carryout and he paid around 500 for his. So I figured for that much money it doesn't hurt to spend the 30 minutes.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

Wow thanks for all the responses!! I have finally found a signal and have been running pretty good so far. Today I ran a second wire for the bedroom receiver so I can plug into the same spot as the living room receiver. That actually turned out to be a nightmare when my husband was drilling a hole for the plate he hit the water pipe.. He was not very happy about that. So we repaired the pipe and got the second plug in. We move tomorrow and hope that I can easily hook up the Winguard. The carry out sounds so easy, we paid about 500 for ours because it was suppose to be user friendly, however, for me the easier something is the harder it is for me to get the concept!