Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

My CF29RE has about 2500 miles on it, the tires are original and were manufactured in 06, the tires are Power King Tow Max the size is 225R75/15, just noticed that the driver side front tire on the 5er' is wearing uneven, it has a few flat spots in the middle of the tirethread and is also wearing on the inside thread of the tire in a few areas, the other 3 tires are fine, recently hadall the tiresbalanced and also brass valve stems installed, on a recent trip I checked all tires, hubs, axles, etc. with a infrared thermometer for possible heat buildup, nothing was wrong. I have thought of using the spare tire which is new, and replacing it with the tire that is wearing oddly, could be just the tire or something else, anybody got any ideas??
kylied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Could be just that tire or it could be that axle is out of alignment/bent.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I will probably have to take it somewhere to have it inspected.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I had the exact problem with the same brand of tire on the right rear. Had them balanced and all and no difference. I rotated the tire to the front right and it still wore badly. I nursed it till it was unsafe and replaced all 4. No more problems. I assume it was just a bad tire.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bent axle. I had to have the axle replaced.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

How can my problem be diagnosed as a tire or axle issue ? Hopefully its the tire, replacing a axle has to be expensive.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
Site Team

I think if it was me, I would swap out that new spare, and see what happens. That should give you the answer as to whether it's the tire or the axle.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylied
How can my problem be diagnosed as a tire or axle issue ? Hopefully its the tire, replacing a axle has to be expensive.

You're right, replacing an axle is quite expensive but in my case, I had no choice. You could easily see that the axle was bent. The wheel was actually tilted out at the bottom when you compared it to the wheel in front of it. I'd noticed this anomally but I didn't pay much attention to ituntil one day when I was doing some work under the trailer and noticed that the inside of the tire was worn down to the steel belts and some of the steel beltingwas worn off.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I agree about putting the spare tire on, they are already 5 yrs old, so pretty soon it will be past it's "expiration date" anyway. I mean, an old spare tire is OK if you need it for a few miles, but what if you have several hours driving to do in hot or bad weather.

Used to be, I thought tires were ok til age 5, but most ST manufacturers now recommend replacement between 3 and 5 yrs.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I had the same problem driving from one stop to the next. I am glad that I was able to notice it and change it before it blew. It was also a tow max that was installed on my 05 PP. Needless to say it was the tire going bad. I changed it out with the spare and was OK the rest of the trip. I did however, have the axles aligned after getting home as I was buying new tires before the next trip.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I had uneven wear on one of the original Mission tires. Took it off at a campground and in to a local Big O store where they told me the tread was starting to separate from the casing. Said it wasn't uncommon for OE Chinese brands. The tire on the other side of the axle was wearing uniformly so I didn't think it was an axle problem. Maybe that's what you're seeing. Had new tire put on and all is well after 4,000 miles. The other 3 Missions are still wearing O.K.Edited by: coastn

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks to all for the advice, I'llbe installing the never used spare on the rim that has the bad tire and we'll see what happens, hopefully its just a bad tire.