Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I need help. My 2012 zinger had water damage after hurricane Irene. I claimed it to my insurance. After camping world and my insurance went throught the camper, they determined that the water leak was from a manfacture defect with the camper. Now it is destroyed and has mold growing in it. Not sure what to do now. I'm paying for a camper that I can't use now.
swampi28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Help us help you - where did the damage come from? What was the specific defect and it's location found by the (I appologize in advance) moron's at CW? How long was it wet, did you get another opinion? Have you contacted Crossroads?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I used it twice this year. Noticed no water. Parked it in the backyard until after hurricane Irene hit. After the storm,I pulled the camper into my driveway and when I stopped, water came rushing out from under the camper. Water came out were the hitch frame connects the trailer frame. The underside is seamed up. When I looked inside the camper the back bunk room had mold growing on the cabinet, seats, and table. Started to grow on the bunks. That is when i called my insurance company. I emailed crossroads and have not heard back yet. Camping world did a pressure test on the unit and it showed leaks all over the unit. Edited by: swampi28
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

First, with something as important as your situation you ought to be calling. Second, they found leaks "all over" the camper? Something smells funny here and it isn't the mold in your bunkroom. A hurricane like Irene can DRIVE water into seams, seals, and slide openings that otherwise wouldn't leak. At the end of the day a hurricane isn't a warranty issue - what does your selling dealer have to say (I hope it isn't the same CW you mentioned leak-tested your camper)? Are they standing up for you? How about your insurance company, did they send out an independent inspector?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Was there pressureized water connected during its stay in the back yard?...if not, where did all that water come from?...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I did buy the camper from camping world. That same place that tested it. We will be making phone calls come monday but looking to see where to start. I did talk to my insurance and they denied the claim.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

No water hooked up at all. Not sure where the water came from. Camping world said that the seals are bad all over
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

How long ago did you purchase from CW? Dont they have a warranty? I know Crossroads does...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I bought it nov 11
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I'd call Randy at Crossroads and see what they can do....

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Do you have a number for randy?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Forgive me I am a bit foggy and need some help please? Do you mean Hurrican Sandy? Hurricane Irene was over a year ago, so it couldn't have just damaged your new camper. I think you got the two storms mixed up. IMHO

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

You check your insurance policy and to see if manufacturing defects are excluded.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Yes it was sandy. My insurance policy does state it does not cover manufacture defect
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampi28
Yes it was sandy. My insurance policy does state it does not cover manufacture defect

Your original post states Hurricane Irene, so I believe folks were confused.

As I mentioned earlier, there is a burdon of proof from both parties in a claim like that. If you believe the weather event caused it (very likely) then request an independent review. As you can tell from earlier posts, I'm not huge fan of Camping World and I would recommend calling Crossroads and see if they have any suggestions. You stated you emailed them but I would suggest a phone call given your situation.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

I will call Monday. Thank you for all the info. I have never had to deal with this before and this was my first new camper purchase
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampi28
I used it twice this year. Noticed no water. Parked it in the backyard until after hurricane Irene hit. After the storm,I pulled the camper into my driveway and when I stopped, water came rushing out from under the camper. Water came out were the hitch frame connects the trailer frame. The underside is seamed up. When I looked inside the camper the back bunk room had mold growing on the cabinet, seats, and table. Started to grow on the bunks. That is when i called my insurance company. I emailed crossroads and have not heard back yet. Camping world did a pressure test on the unit and it showed leaks all over the unit.

How come they didn't test it like that before they sold it to you?

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

When they sold you the camper they did a walk through I presume. When I did mine all the water was hooked up and electric to show me everything was functioning properly at the time....even heated the water. If they did this for you and it wasn't leaking then and you made two trips in which it didn't leak then they should be backing you with crossroads. It isn't funny but before you purchase everything is so rosy and once you sign the papers things sometimes change for the worse.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Update:
When I bought the camper,Campign Worldnever did a pressure test or water test on it. They hooked up the eletric and showed me how things worked. After talking to crossroads, they stated that they will not do anything for me. They said that the manfacture defect would have showedleaking signs before the storm hit. After looking at the report from camping world, the pressure test showed major leaks all around the roof line on the camper. Water had to get in somewhere. that is why my insurance denied my claim. All I'm looking for is a replacement camper. I really like the zinger and would buy another one. But after how the company is treating me, I'm going somewhere else.
I major thing that sucks is that I retired from 20yrs active duty Air Force and this was my first ever new camper purchase. Was looking to start camping alot. But now I have to wait until I pay off a camper that I can't use ever again.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

You should still have a 2 year warranty. Seems to me that this should be covered. Where did they say the leaks were coming from?
2014 Sunset Trail 32bh

"I work so I can CAMP, I camp to get away from WORK"
dminer04 is offline   Reply With Quote