Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what you all use for water filtration. I have a filter box right now, it is a tote on wheels with the filters and regulator inside it along with all my fresh water hose.

It has 2 filters one a carbon block, the other sediment. It also has the regulator in it too. My water pressure isnt the greatest while at the parks because of the water box set up. I can only get about 40psi out of the box because the filters slow down the water pressure so much.

I have the regulator dialed open as far as it can go and still only 40psi. Now when I omit the water box and just use my Camco faucet pressure regulator the pressure goes up and is great.

Anyone have this problem at all in the past with the larger filters and how did you fix it?

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I always had a problem with water pressure, I ordered a watts water regulater, it's a 263-A...eliminated all the problems, well worth the expense.....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I already have the N55BG water regulator which has a 6-9gpm rating. The 263-A only has 4-4.5gpm rating so I dont think it is the regulator, but thanks for the recommendation.Edited by: fixit5561

Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbinohio
I always had a problem with water pressure, I ordered a watts water regulater, it's a 263-A...eliminated all the problems, well worth the expense.....

ditto. This is the one I use as well. A great resource is the RV Water Filter Store.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I alreayd said I had a regulator that had a larger GPM than the 263-A My reuglator is the Watts that allows 6-9 gpm.

The 263-A only allows 4-4.5 gpm.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Did you read the information on the sit I linked to? There's more to it than the regulator or the gpm. After reading call these folks. I find them both knowledgeable and helpful, whether you choose to do business with them or not.Edited by: papa2

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Hi Papa, yes I did read that a long time ago,I bought my regulator from the Rv filter store and this is what is said on the page you linked to:

The top-of-the-line regulator is another Watts unit, Model N55B. It provides the best flow rate of all and is well-built of brass. In our tests it produced a flow rate of 6 to 9 gpm. A home style regulator suitable for mobile homes, cabins and RVs, it is larger and heavier than the other models, but the most durable of all.

The N55B (the G added at the end of my regulatoris just to recognize that my model has a gauge on it)is the regulator that I have which is their top of the line with the best flow as stated above. Basically what The webpage says is, the 263-A is good but the N55B is better with a better flow rate.

Thuis is what has me stumped, the regulator I have is the best that is made and still at a park it has low flow, only 40 psi.Edited by: fixit5561

Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

40 psi is not bad. I run mine at 45. Since you're not happy with the pressure it sounds like you have a "flow" problem, not a pressure issue. Some ABCs that no doubt you've been through, but...
1. Any kinks in your hoses which would restrict the flow?
2. Are filters fresh and unclogged. Clogged filters restrict flow?
3. Are you using a small canister (smaller than 10"), a standard canister (10") or a jumbo (greater than 10")? Obviously the bigger the canister the less restriction you have to water flow.

A work around often overlooked is to use the filtration system to fill your fresh water tank, then pump water from that. I've never been happy with the flow rate at the shower head and we use the fresh water tank for showers.

All that being said, I would call Rick and discuss your specific issue with him. Great guy and very knowledgeable.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Hi Papa,

Yes I checked all above the hose wasnt kinked and the filters are both brand new. They are 10" filters so should have alot of flow to them

Not a bad idea filling the fresh water tank, If I dont get any results from talking with the RV store I will do that.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

do a little search on your filtration system parts, as far as flow rates..

You may have a good regulator with a decent flow rate..

But what about the filter housings??

Check your rate with just a city water connection..
Check your flow rate with just the regulator and the city water connection..
If they both seem ok, then it is your filtering system restricting the flow, be it the actual filters or the size of the inlets/outlets.

Edited by: Jimehc
Jimehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

ffffff
Texas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Texas4 is offline   Reply With Quote