Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Water heater/fireplace

Quite by accident, I plugged our fireplace into the same electric outlet our TV is plugged into. We have two outlets under the pop up TV and the fireplace cord was plugged into the bottom outlet originally. When I flipped the switch on the control panel to electric for the water heater, the fireplace which used to turn off, stayed on! We can now run both the electric fireplace and have the water heater switched to electric whereas before, it had to be one or the other using electric, not both at the same time. So far, we haven’t tripped any breakers and we are enjoying having both heat and hot water.
Buffy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Might be on the same switch for a reason , maybe the firepace does not use to much juice and you will be lucky. Feel the receptical occasionally to make sure it is not to hot...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Might definitely want to keep an eye on a few things, you must be a 30A service hence the reason for one or the other. Water heater would be 1500W plus fireplace must be another 1500W so your at 3000W of a 3300W service. Now add in your 12V DC inverter and your right up there maxing out your 30A system. You might want to check your cord at the pedestal for warmth..
Old 11-08-2018, 04:44 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Might be on the same switch for a reason , maybe the firepace does not use to much juice and you will be lucky. Feel the receptical occasionally to make sure it is not to hot...
Thanks for the reply. You are correct about it being on the same switch for safety reasons. We are keeping an eye on this and we only have both on when we are inside the trailer. So far, so good.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
Might definitely want to keep an eye on a few things, you must be a 30A service hence the reason for one or the other. Water heater would be 1500W plus fireplace must be another 1500W so your at 3000W of a 3300W service. Now add in your 12V DC inverter and your right up there maxing out your 30A system. You might want to check your cord at the pedestal for warmth..
Absolutely! We are 30 amp and are close to the limit. So far, the cord and recep have stayed cool but we are being cautious. Everything gets switched off when we are away from the trailer. Thank you for your reply.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
Site Team

Sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I definitely don't recommend this to anybody.
RV manufactures have a notorious reputation for under sizing the wire they run to the receptacles. I found it in our unit.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy B View Post
Absolutely! We are 30 amp and are close to the limit. So far, the cord and recep have stayed cool but we are being cautious. Everything gets switched off when we are away from the trailer. Thank you for your reply.
Another spot to watch is your 30 Amp RV plug, especially if you're using an extension. They get overheated pretty easily, too.
Personally, I'd run the hot water and the fridge on propane. Both seem to work better on gas (to me a flame is hotter than a red coil). Propane here costs $10 to refill a tank, and keeping the load off of the electrical system is worth it. Consider using your propane furnace, also.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I definitely don't recommend this to anybody.
RV manufactures have a notorious reputation for under sizing the wire they run to the receptacles. I found it in our unit.
You are correct. I am slowly coming to my senses and will play it safe by plugging in to the correct outlet so both the water heater and fireplace operate separately. We’ve never had our water heated by propane, only electric. For some reason, it doesn’t work with propane. I’ll search other forums to see if I can figure out the problem. Better safe than sorry.... Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
You are correct. I am slowly coming to my senses and will play it safe by plugging in to the correct outlet so both the water heater and fireplace operate separately. We’ve never had our water heated by propane, only electric. For some reason, it doesn’t work with propane. I’ll search other forums to see if I can figure out the problem. Better safe than sorry.... Thanks for your reply.
Vyour propane fix wil to be to loosen the air adjuster on the 1/2" tube that goes into the tank fire flue and run a papi cleaner in there all the way to clean out the spider web in there. Put adjuster back in the same spot and should work.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Vyour propane fix wil to be to loosen the air adjuster on the 1/2" tube that goes into the tank fire flue and run a papi cleaner in there all the way to clean out the spider web in there. Put adjuster back in the same spot and should work.
That sounds like an easy enough fix and something to try first. Thanks for the information.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
That sounds like an easy enough fix and something to try first. Thanks for the information.
I meant "pipe cleaner"

Old 11-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Watched a tech service my heater when I had a problem with the flame. He also cleaned out the burner with the end of a paper clip. Might want to take a look at yours.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Another thing to try with water heater. Make sure air is out of your lines. Light stove top and furnace to clear air out.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote