Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
New Camper

Water heater issue

My water heater red light just started staying on all the time. The water is still running hot but the light was turning off on its own after heating. I'm a newbie at this and need some guidance on how to fix this. I don't now anything about this repair. I have an electric water heater. Thanks in advance. I need this fixed before winter, only a few months away. You help is really appreciated!
Millbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I haven't heard of an RV with only an electric water heater, they are gas & electric. As for the light, it should only illuminate when the gas burner does not light after 3 tries. Is your gas turned on? Check to see if your switch for gas is also turned on. If on, turn it off and the light issue should go away.
To use it on gas, first turn the gas on at the tanks and then purge the system by firing up the stove for a couple minutes, then try the water heater on gas. Go outside and see if you can hear the burner or see a flame in the little window on the cover to the heater.
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
New Camper

Sorry, I didn't mean it was all electric. It's an electric start. We do have propane and it's been on for some time now. I checked to make sure it's full, it is. I did try turning the heater off both inside the RV and the outside in the actual unit. I see the pilot light on. Just can't figure why all of a sudden the inside red light stays on. Also why it only heats up if I do the restart and not for long. The red light goes off after the restart and then about an hour later it turns on and stays on.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Do you have access to the owners manual? May be some info in there - go online and search if you don't have it. Also, post your rig year and model plus the model of your W/H.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

No apology necessary, sometime a tidbit of missing info can head me off in a different thought pattern. I know Attwood heaters, due to ours causing me to research them until my brain hurt.
I second Stan's request, what make is yours?
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
New Camper

I've been looking online for the manual but haven't found it yet. I have a 2003 AmeriCamp Travel Trailer, 33 foot. I will look inside the heating unit to see which one I have. We have a bit of a rain storm going on right now. I really appreciate your help.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Owner manual http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/atwood1.pdf

Check out page 4 "Electronic Ignition Operation".

Should help you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
New Camper

Thanks for the link to the manual. I read most of page 4. I now have no pilot light on. The heater makes no noise when turned on. I really would like to fix this myself instead of overpaying someone to do it. Am i foolish to think i can fix it?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
New Camper

I flushed out the water in the heater. So far the lights off and the pilot is lit. 🤞 Hope that does it.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Happy for you that you got it fixed. Doing it yourself and learning how to fix something, on your own, is a great achievement. This forum is a great place to gather good information, and helpful guidance, and then apply it to your problem .
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote