Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Water Heater Will Not 'Start'

So here we go again........just got the unit back from 2 weeks in service and now the hot water heater will not turn on. Completely dead.

It is an Atwood MPD 93755 6 Gal Electronic Ignition unit installed in a brand new 2014 Crossroads Z-1 25 BHS. It will not work on Electric or Gas.

Gas in the unit works as the Furnace will ignite & produce heat and the Stove top works. Same with electrical devices. Everything else works.

The switches that control operation in the cabin (the gas and electric) light and stay lit, but that appears normal from what I am reading. The switch/controls are on the top right of the photo below - just above the stereo. One is the water pump (left switch) middle switch is the gas hot water heater operation and the right switch is the electric hot water heater operation switch.

I also tried with and without city water hooked up.

Anyone else have the same issue and know the solution? Thanks!

RVBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Was the service work completed that you mentioned on the water heater?? Could they have pulled fuses and flipped breakers?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

No sir. The service work was on the awning, some bad wallpaper seams (which they didn't fix) and a bad door latch. I checked the 2A fuse inside the rear access panel on the circuit board - its fine.

The only other 'fuse' is the circuit breaker itself which is not tripped.

I let the electric run for 30+ minutes and the water was no warmer. I also plugged into a generator to see if a load was put on when I flipped the electric WH switch and nothing. No change - so there is no doubt its not heating on electric either. I know for sure its not heating on gas because it simply won't fire.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Believe there is also a 12v fuse in the CB panel panel. Forget what it is labeled but it's not Water Heater. This supplies power to the relays.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Is the bypass valve closed and the inlet valve open to the water heater?

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Yes sir. Water is flowing correctly at the unit. The instructions leave alot to be desired but I assume the way you regulate temperature is by mixing cold water with the hot water return. Otherwise no thermostat.

No fuses either. Checked every one.

I'm at a total loss outside of an incorrectly wired unit. Or defective unit. Not really logical as it's all brand new.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

close the bypass all the way . regulate hot water at the taps...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Tried
Nothing. I hoped it would be that simple.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

By the way - my RV is so new that I messed up the model in the original post. Its a 2014 Z-1 252BH (NOT at 25BHS as originally posted).
Old 10-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

When you check the water heater overflow do you get water out? This really sounds like a bypassed water heater.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Sure do. Just let it flow for 30 seconds to be sure. Also checked the bypass again to be sure.
There is no flame, spark, smell of gas or current draw at all when the switch (es) are flipped. )-:
Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Does your water heater have a reset button on the outside. should be black and about 1/2" around
grandpadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:58 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

I wasn't aware of a reset button but I did look everywhere anyway and found nothing. Top, Bottom, Inside or Outside.
I don't even see or read of a way to produce spark manually.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Here are some photos - if they help. I have more if you think there is a specific picture that would help figure out why its totally dead. So frustrating as we have our first trip planned this weekend and its a trip with no electric and water hook ups.

Water Heater Valve Config - The Way It Sits Today:

Water Heater Back Panel - Open (Not getting spark, smelling gas nor is the electric heater firing or working):

Water Heater Switches - Inside The RV (The little "problem" light does not illuminate and has not ever lit):
Old 10-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Did it work before you took it for service?

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I don't think there IS a reset button. I believe you need to either take it in for repair or try troubleshooting the electrical if you feel comfortable. You can download a manual from Atwood.com. I also think your posted model number is wrong (believe you have the owners manual number posted). Since both fuels are not working it could be a bad module or you actually have two separate issues. You might try unplugging wiring connectors and re-plugging them back (loose connection?).
Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Thanks
I spoke with Crossroads this morning. They seemed great - but at the end of the day its a dealer issue. They will try to help though.
I honestly do not know if it worked prior to the service visit. I literally got it home, did some cosmetic stuff in the driveway and found the issues which promoted the service call and a week later it was back at the dealer for 2 weeks.

Highly unlikely it ever worked. The dealer was SUPPOSED to do a complete check of all systems but since there is still sawdust and such in the burner tube and no signs at all of even a spark even having been lit, I doubt it ever fired. Twice they were supposed to perform this action and twice they failed to do so.....or they did and hoped I wouldn't notice the water heater not working.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

What happened at your PDI? Did it work then?
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

boater
Does the red light for the gas or the electric, light up when you switch either of them to the on position, on the panel in the picture you sent?

I would take that panel off and check all electrical connections. Also check all electrical connections at the outside portion of the W/H..lastly check to see if the W/H is grounded...IMHO

Forgot to ask...is the W/H full of water?
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

They did not operate the Water Heater during the inspection. 100% shame on me. I took them at their word that it operated but not only did I not see it work, there is simply no way they tested it. They did that twice, but the first time I didn't notice.

The tank is full.

I also checked all connections, wires, grounds, etc except those behind the switch panel. I did not see a easy way to access the back side, but I will check. All the lights do illuminate (the Gas & Electric) except the small 'error' light. It doesn't light but that may be because its not even attempting to fire.