Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
New Camper

Ihave a shurflo model # 20884-22144 I was wondering if i should install a accumulator or a smart sensor 4.0 pump. I am tired of the noise but the pulsating is the biggest problem. Thanks in advance.
tnkdamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have an accumulator in my boat and it is a great upgrade. You will be very pleased with the results. Easy to install as well.</span>
</span>
I haven't put one in my Cruiser yet, but plan too. I keep putting off buying another accumulator as I am considering selling the boat..... without the accumulator of course. LOL. It's a very nice one designed for marine use. It's a one gallon, stainless steel model.</span>
</span>
See you out there,</span>
</span>
Robert</span>

Edited by: 100ton
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I am debating installing one on my unit. Do not use pump much, but when we do it really cycles alot unless I bypass the in line filter. If I can justify cost against usage, I will install.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The smart sensor works well but make sure you put a check valve in the line. It is really sensitive to city pressure. It has a check valve built in but it dosen't seem to be enough.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

If you go to the link below then click on Crossroads Cruiser then go to PP #037 you will see a easy fix for this. I know it worked on our Cruiser 29RK and I am going to do this to our PP.

http://www.gregpaine.com/
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Here's my homebrew accumulator solution that works well and was cheap.

2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Hamops:
What goes on the port on the other side of that water filter?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Hamops:
What goes on the port on the other side of that water filter?

Nothing! I plugged it. The water is forced into the inverted jar by the pump and compresses the trappedair in the jar. This builds up a back pressure on the system that is equal to the pump pressure. When the pump stops on the pressure switch, there is enough pressure and water in the jar to flush the toilet once or twice before the pump pressure switch restarts the pump. The kitchen sink tap is the only one that causes the pump to cycle somewhat because the demand pressure is right at the pressure switch setting. Other than that, the pump only runs when there is a high demand or intermittantly to replenish or charge up the system.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
Site Team

And I thought I was done with mods for this year!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:27 AM   #10
New Camper

Looks like a flex line kit and a accumulator will take care of it. I will order one today and give an update on install. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I wonder what would happen if you was to blow up a balloon about the same diameter as the what filter housing and stuff it up in the top of the housingbefore you screw it on? Would it act like a bladder in a pressure tank?
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott
I wonder what would happen if you was to blow up a balloon about the same diameter as the what filter housing and stuff it up in the top of the housingbefore you screw it on? Would it act like a bladder in a pressure tank?

What an ingenious thought. I never even considered some sort bladder for the jar. I just figured that it was always going to work using the compressed air space. That's something that I'll have to try or at least experiment with.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
Quote:

What an ingenious thought. I never even considered some sort bladder for the jar. I just figured that it was always going to work using the compressed air space. That's something that I'll have to try or at least experiment with.

To make this work you need to get the pressure just over the water pressure so that it will push as the water pressure drops.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnan23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
Quote:

To make this work you need to get the pressure just over the water pressure so that it will push as the water pressure drops.

Not really. If the balloon is inflated enough to fill the void of the jar, then it should work just as well as without. I agree that if the balloon is pressurized more, once the jar void is filled then it would work slightly better but not much. The intention in this scheme is to provide a compressible backpressure to the pump so that the pump won't cycle so much when there is a low demand. The jar needs to be full of water to compress the trapped air. Having an air bladder allows you to mount the accumulator in any position whereas mine has to be in the position that it's mounted.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
Site Team

Another option that might work just as well as a bladder, maybe even better, would be to drill and tap the body of your filter housing and screw in a air--valve stem.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Not sure how much the filter housing was, but you can buy an Expansion Tank at H.D. or Lowes for about $25.00. They are about 1.5 to 2 gals, have a rubber bladder inside and also an air valve at the top to pressurize it. They can be mounted at any angle to make it easier to drain when winterizing.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Another option that might work just as well as a bladder, maybe even better, would be to drill and tap the body of your filter housing and screw in a air--valve stem.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea, because the jar would have to be pressurized after water is forced into it. Keeping it simple is the idea here.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Not sure how much the filter housing was, but you can buy an Expansion Tank at H.D. or Lowes for about $25.00. They are about 1.5 to 2 gals, have a rubber bladder inside and also an air valve at the top to pressurize it. They can be mounted at any angle to make it easier to drain when winterizing.

That was my original idea but the smallest expansion tank that I could find was a3 gallon size costing $55 CAD. I would have put out the money for it, but I couldn't find any useless space in which it would fit so I opted for the next best thing. My homebrew accumulater cost me about $38 CAD. The filter unit costed $18 CAD and the brass fittings another $12 CAD with the remainder for miscellaneous material.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #19
New Camper

I installed pump silencing kit today and wow what a difference! They should have them on from the factory. Still waiting on the accumulator. Let you know when I get it on.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #20
Site Team

Hamops:
Your filter base looks like it has a nice flat base that sits on the floor real good. Am I seeing this right? If so what brand is it? All I have been able to locate have relief valve on top and you would have to build something for it to sit in. That would be a real pain.