Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi, We purchased a new 2011 315re this year, and have noticed when we use water stored in the tank, the pump will cycle off and on and not run steady unless two faucets are open. My wife took a shower inside, and the pump still cycles off and on. The water stream runs fast when the pump is on, then slows when it shuts off, and then comes fast when it starts again. The dealer says this is normal, and the only way to correct it is with an accumulator. This doesn't seem normal to me. It wasn't this way in my old class C motorhome. The pump seems to go off and on every 2 to 3 seconds. Is this normal?

Thanks.
dbkarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Ours doesn't pulsate. I would make the dealer evaluate/replace the pump.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Not normal---the pump should have about 10 seconds between cycle's. It should come on run smoothly and then go off, in 10 seconds or so if the water is still running cycle back on. If you can look at the center of the pump head there may be an adjustment screw there with some arrows or verbage to help with the adjustment. For most pumps anyway, but I would think there is some way to adjust any of them. You may need to get online and look at the Manuf's web site to find out how to adjust yours.

Flyone
Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Site Team

I think how much/often the pump will cycle is depended on how much water is being asked for. If there is high volume being taken, it will come on more often or it will run continuous.
I believe there is a way to adjust the pump, but it has been so long since I have done it I can't remember for sure. If I get a chance this afternoon I will check it out and get back to you, unless someone else has the answer first.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
Site Team

I dug out my spare pump. It was in the Lance truck camper we had. This pump quit on me and I bought a new one. Then I contacted Shurflo and got parts to fix this one. They sent me a new valve assembly kit.
On the end of this pump there is an adjustment (tech explained everything to me at the time) Looks like the part I replaced is held on with 4 screws. There is another screw right in the middle holding a round piece. This the adjuster part. Turning it to the right, increase---turning it to the left, decreases. It says it is an "adjusta shut off only". Does not change flow, or operating pressure. So I'm thinking that must be what sets the cycle time.
Shurflo has many different models of pumps so this might not pertain to all of them, or yours.
The kit I put in this old pump fits 2088/2090 pumps.
Hope this helps.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Surflow Manual:

http://www.shurflo.com/files/RV-Installation-Manuals/Classic-Series-Pumps/Standard%20Pump%20-%20911-352_L_2088-473-143%20_443_.pdf

Look at page 3.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I installed an expansion tank , that solved the short cycling. Also made pump much quieter.

Paul
Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
New Camper

Thanks for all the replies. I will speak to the dealer about it. When he says this is normal, I will now be able to say not according to other owners. He just does not seem to want to admit something could be wrong, or take the time to fix it.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I have had two TTs and 3 motor homes and, without an accumulator, all pumps cycled on and off.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I'm glad i'm not the only one. But our only pulsates when we are running the tap in the kitchen. Any other tap it doesn't do it.
2013 Dodge Ram Sport R/T 5.7 Hemi(Pics to follow)

https://i44.tinypic.com/mttqmh.jpg
thefabbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
New Camper

Dealer says that it is normal. If you run 2 faucets at the same time, it doesn't do it, and that is the way it is designed. It seems strange to me, BUT, he is the dealer, and I have to believe what he says.

Other posters have said there is a restrictor in the faucet heads that can be removed and it will pump at a faster rate, eliminating the pulses. I don't know if I will try that or not. It is getting cold here, and it is time to winterize. I guess I will look at it again in the spring.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Most pumps are rated at 1 gallon per minute without a restriction. Compare that to a house outdoor faucet with about 50 to 60 pounds pressure which delivers 5 to 6 gallons per minute. This is a good thing to remember when putting fresh water in your tank, 5 minutes = about 25 gallons. Anyway, I have gotten used to the surging of the pump, even while taking a shower. I often turn on the pump even when hooked up to water at the campground, for more pressure.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I got rid of the problem by getting rid of the water restrictors in the faucets. Rubber washers witha real small hole.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

I had this very same issue with the kitchen sink faucet and the bath sink faucet. No issue with the toilet or shower. I unscrewed the faucet tips and removed the little white disk with a hole in it on both the kitchen and bath sink. Problem solved !!! Thank you again CWIT

I also decided to put the screens in CLR to clean them... It was sure challenging getting them in the order they came apart in. I forgot how they went.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote