Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Water/wood damage

Good Morning,

So, Hurricane Florence has left. Here in Central NC, we just got a lot of water.

Enough that the seam on one corner of my slideout couldn't keep it all out.

I found about a pint and a half of water pooling under the corner of the slideout and running across the floor to settle along the inside part of the outside wall of the master bedroom.

It was only there a few hours but it was enough to soak the rug and soften the bottom corner wood piece of the slideout (see photos).

1. It looks like I should be able to replace the rotten piece if I can find something similar. I can't find any screws or nails though. Any idea how that is fastened on?

2. The water that ran along the inside side of the outside wall in the master caused a little softness along the seam where the wall meets the floor (no photo). This worries me more as I can't replace that really. It's just a very small amount soft so I am hoping it won't deteriorate any further. Thoughts? Time to call insurance agent?

Since the storm I have been running a dehumidifier constantly in the RV to get out as much moisture as possible.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rv2.jpg (285.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg rv1.jpg (228.3 KB, 20 views)
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Site Team

On my Cruiser the piece you are referring to is attached with staples/nails. And yes if it were mine I would call the insurance company but with all the damage over there you would be on the bottom of there list. You may be able to get that piece from a dealer and do it your self.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Team

If the floor is only soft a little, you can dry it out and apply an epoxy wood preservative. My friend is Vice President of this company. I've used it on rotting window sills and on my previous 5th wheel to save the floor. Worth a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-T...SIN=B008DYN1B0

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Mike,

If that trim piece you've arrowed is anything like mine, it's the cheapest lightest MDF with a photo realistic image of wood grain pasted over the profile.

I'd be tempted to let it dry out over the next few days, it may well harden up again, after all the water has only started to dissolve the glue that holds the particles/fibers in place.

Good luck.

And I corroborate the previous post, those parts are stapled in place, the staple heads (sometimes) are covered with a brownish putty...

John
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Good idea Mark. I don't know if I need it for the problem in the RV yet but this product seems perfect for a problem I have with wood rot in an exterior area of my house.

Thanks
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have the same crap wood as you have and what I would do is. First look at the cupboards and identify the wood and stain color, then either make a whole new casing around your slide either by just visiting the local lumber yard or depending on your tools maybe just go visit a woodworking shop. Another thing you could do that would be cheaper is; your top corners are square blocks that your casings butt up too so no miter angles are necessary right, so you could go to the lumber yard and see if they have any fancy WOOD blocks 6x12 inch that could be used to to replace the bottom 12 inches of the caseing on each side of your slider and just have to remove your two vertical caseings and cut off a foot and replace the bottoms with real wood so if it ever gets wet it won't deform. I have a good assortment of wood working tools so even just replacing the bottom foot by making up something similar to the top block would be relatively easy and eliminate future issues if the carpet ever got wet again.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I can’t see if the front side is deformed from the water. However, if you remove that piece of molding, dry it out completely, you will see what you are working with. Once dry, scrape the crusty fiberboard off down to something that will be solid. We, as cabinet install/repair will use bondo to fill the gap and restore it to it’s original shape. Paint a colored base coat and faux finish to match the existing.

I would love to replace all the junk wood in my camper with real wood. That would be a fortune.
***Going for 1 million miles***
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have similar dange as you. After I ripped out the carpet I notice all the wood in my slide was rotted out along all three walls. I think it's a mix of water coming in through the schwintek rails and the fact that the skirt around the bottom has a million screws with no product to seal it. You may want to check it because it might not have been a one time thing. I have the damage to both slides. I'm also having to replace half the floor in my bunkhouse.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I have similar dange as you. After I ripped out the carpet I notice all the wood in my slide was rotted out along all three walls. I think it's a mix of water coming in through the schwintek rails and the fact that the skirt around the bottom has a million screws with no product to seal it. You may want to check it because it might not have been a one time thing. I have the damage to both slides. I'm also having to replace half the floor in my bunkhouse.
Bert, I have the same soft spot beside the slide, I think mines coming in thru the non sealed screws behind the rubber trim. Did you have to take the slide out out to fix the wood?
gsbuick65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I did not take the whole slide out. I was able to remove the exterior skirt and slide it in and out that way. The biggest problem was my living room slide is longer than the standard plywood. The bunkhouse was easy.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

I think one of the best ways to breathe new life to your RV interior is to give it a new coat of paint. If you do not have that much spare time for painting your RV cabinets and do not know a lot about how to paint camper cabinets, BEYOND PAINT is the best for you. You will only need one to two coats of this stuff to make your RV travel trailer cabinets look like new, it is only fair to say that one container of this paint can go a long way. I bought two quarts for my RV cabinets.
Wendyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #12
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyy View Post
I think one of the best ways to breathe new life to your RV interior is to give it a new coat of paint. If you do not have that much spare time for painting your RV cabinets and do not know a lot about how to paint camper cabinets, BEYOND PAINT is the best for you. You will only need one to two coats of this stuff to make your RV travel trailer cabinets look like new, it is only fair to say that one container of this paint can go a long way. I bought two quarts for my RV cabinets.
My SIL painted the interior of their entry level 5th wheel & if there was a way to make the cheap looking interior look even cheaper she found it. She did a good job painting with quality paint though, but definitely not something I'd do.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #13
Site Team

There are many types of cabinet finishes you can use to get a great looking result. Same with walls. Many available faux finishes and glazes that would look great. So it depends on your skills and budget to end up with a great looking interior.
I would recommend it to anyone who wants to spruce up an old and worn out interior.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote