Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Site Team

Does anyone travel with a weather radio? I was wondering if there is one out on the market that will automatically find the different weather stations as you travel. Maybe they have integrated a gps into the works now???? It sure would be nice to have one that you don't have to keep searching for another station when you get into another area. Any info would be appreciated.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have oneI bought 5 or 6 years ago from Radio Shack. It does not automatically find the stations for the area but all I do is turn it on when we get setup and lock in on the strongest station then set it to the alert setting. It has gone off a couple of times in the past when bad weather was in the area and let me tell you when it does you will know it. The alarm is quite loud......
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

We have a Midland.WR100. I believe it too came from Radio Shack. I like it because you can progrm the zip codes into it and it finds the nearest stations. It also alerts youto any type of other hazards such as Amber Alerts, Civil Unrest, etc.

And the alarm will get your attention along with the optional flashing strobe.

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus...idProduct=3105

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Thanks for the info.
I would rather not get one that you have to know what the zip code is for the area you happen to be in. most of the time when we're traveling, I don't have any idea what the zip code might be.
Keith:
Does yours have a "dial" that you can tune it with?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Yes it does but it has clicks on it for the different weather alert stations in the area. It is low tech but has always worked really well.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
New Camper

If you have a VerizonWireless cell phone you can get all the information you need very easily. You open VZ Navigator, not only does it have up to date directions, detours, Weather, stores, restaurants, Movies, actually anything you want to find in your location or on the way to a different location. The Weather is update and will show you what it is according to your GPS or even a location you are going to. It costs $9.99 a month. It was very helpful to me last year during the gas wars, it showed gas prices of all the stations in my area and it updated daily with current prices. Good Value for the money. Better than a GPS unit because it updates automatically.

CampingLanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Thanks for the info.
I would rather not get one that you have to know what the zip code is for the area you happen to be in. most of the time when we're traveling, I don't have any idea what the zip code might be.

You can also manually seek the NOAA channels by pressing the button. You just won't get the other Civil Alerts like Amber.

I like the Verizon deal, but what about areas that don't have cell service?

'08 CF30QB

Old 03-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by salda01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Thanks for the info.

You can also manually seek the NOAA channels by pressing the button. You just won't get the other Civil Alerts like Amber. Also if an alert does go off, it will display the warning on the screen. Which is nice so you don't always have to listen, to the whole forcast before hearing about what it warning is.

I like the Verizon deal, but what about areas that don't have cell service?

'08 CF30QB

Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Site Team

You can also manually seek the NOAA channels by pressing the button. You just won't get the other Civil Alerts like Amber. Also if an alert does go off, it will display the warning on the screen. Which is nice so you don't always have to listen, to the whole forcast before hearing about what it warning is.

I like the Verizon deal, but what about areas that don't have cell service?[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Dave, thanks for re posting. I think that Midland you have will do just what we want it to.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Another option we use when I forget the Midland, is the weather radio on the Cobra 2 way radio we also carry. The 2 ways work great for when one of us is at the pool and something is forgotten. We also us the 2 ways when traveling with friends between the 2 vehicles.Edited by: salda01

'08 CF30QB