Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Westlake tires

We signed the papers to purchase our new Crossroads trailer today and it had Westlake tires from China on it. How good are these tires?? I has Goodyear tires on my old camper and had no problems.
Gary Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

alot of rv companies have china tires. Time will tell, china bombs?

Ram 3500
Rushmore Monticello
gone camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

We had china tires on our pontoon boat. They only lasted a little over a month. It's hard to get american made tires for rv's and boats. So far, we've had good luck with the new boat tires but they are china made too.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Gary, you will find a definite slant against Chinese made tires due to bad experiences with them. You will find many of us recommend tires such as Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Firestone, etc. Personnaly, we have BFG Commercial TA's on our Cruiser without any issues in almost four years.

Paul & Pam
'14 Bay Hill 340RK
'12 Ram 3500
Jazz & Allee
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I got rid of the made in china tires and went with Maxxis brand tires made in Taiwan. Very good reviews and hold up well. They've never left me on the side of the road. I ordered them from Discount Tires Online.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

If money is no problem, replace them now. Or you can run them until they bubble, blow, or crack. That could be from a month to 3 years or so.

A lot of China RV tires are a problem and a lot seem to last fairly well. As with most China products there seems to be little or no consistency.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I am assuming I have a warranty for a year on these tires, but what price do I put on our safety?? I also was not thrilled the camper did not come with a spare tire, TV, or TV wall bracket. Beware of RV camper show prices that seem too good to be true.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have purchased tires through tire rack, and they do not even carry Westlake.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohio View Post
I am assuming I have a warranty for a year on these tires, but what price do I put on our safety?? I also was not thrilled the camper did not come with a spare tire, TV, or TV wall bracket. Beware of RV camper show prices that seem too good to be true.
They may come with a warranty, but dealing with the dealer, RV manufacture and tire manufacture becomes very tiresome (no pun intended)... I had Duro's on a previous trailer and it was PITA... Finally, the RV manufacture settled with giving me $90 per tire to get something else. Duro basically said tough luck...

Can you take the tires off your old unit and swap them for these? The dealer should do it for free as it will add value to the trade for having "NEW Tires"... If of course they fit.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Great idea on the switch.....but the old camper was a light single axle Trailmanor with 225/75 R15 and the new Crossroads Rezerve has dual axles with 205/75 R15.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

It is getting really hard to find trailer tires that aren't made in China. Even the "name brands" are Chinese made now, so it is tough to escape them. That said, I have run Chinese made Good Year Marathons on a 40' Blue Ridge 5er and on this 32' Cruiser many miles without any problems. I think the key is to keep the tires inflated to the rated cold pressure (usually 65 psi on a load range D and 80 psi on a load range E) and hold the speed down. I typically run 65 mph on the interstate with brief downhill runs of 70 or 75. Proper inflation and reasonable speed are the life of your trailer tires, regardless of where they are made.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Just remember ALL ST tires are rated for max speed 65 mph. That's why when I replace ST tires I replace them with LT tires. Please do not start a ST vs LT tire war here.
Like stated above, watch your tire pressure and check for lumps and bumps.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Original China made tires on our Cruiser built August, 2009. Well inspected and maintained throughout our ownership of the Cruiser. Three years and about 10,000 miles later three of the four exploded in two separate incidents on a major interstate highway about 20 miles apart. $7,200 damage to the cruiser plus the cost of four new tires.
We would NEVER again own or ride in any vehicle with Chinese made tires. Currently own the rig below with 22.5" American made Michelin RV tires.
Cannot be smug as American RV tires are known to explode as well. Don't overload any RV. Don't travel at excessive speed. Maintain the RV manufacturer's recommended tire pressures. Even doing all of those things is still no guarantee when it comes to China bombs.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote