Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Never used a full hookup site. All of my RVng has been at parks where you only get electricity. And of course, I go through the normal procedure of dumping the Black and Grey water tanks after my trip.
So, the question is, what are the recommendations for being at a full hookup with a sewage drain pipe?
The reason why I ask, it would seem that if you just left the blackwater tank valve open, the solids would collect in the bottom, while the liquids would quickly run out - leaving the little (well maybe big in some cases) piles behind. It would seem to be better to put enough water and chemical ( or if doing GEO, put in 5-10 gallons of water, and only drain/flush the blackwater tank about every 2-3 days? Of course, I would think you could just leave the Grey water tank valve open all the time, since there wouldn't be any solids - or at least stinky solids right away.

Suggestions, experiences, comments?

2011 Sunset Trails 24RB

2012 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7Hemi
epjohnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Always leave the tanks closed until you are ready to dump. At least the black tank. I like to flush the hose with the gray water after I empty the black tank each time.

2003 Ford F250

2012 Sahara

From Pigeon Forge TN

https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...9/DSC_0093.jpg
jim carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Ed & Mary,

I'm on a season lease site with full hookups. Since I'm not moving the trailer I allow both black and gray tanks to fill then dump. As Jim said, use the gray water to flush the line after dumping the black tank. I also use a clear elbow so I can see if the tank is clean. I have a black tank flush and I always make sure the tank is running clear with no solids before rinsing the drain pipe with the gray tank. This is normally not every 2-3 days, but rather as needed.

When we pulled and traveled we dumped at the end of each stay ... unless we within 100 miles of our next destination AND we would be camping within a week. So sometimes we hauled with both tanks partially full.

I'm sure you know water is your best friend when it comes to dumping. Lots of water drives the stinky away

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Mine stays on a full hookup site all summer (unless we go on trips) I have to greys. The shower one stays open when i am there. The black and the back grey (sink) stay closed. I dump both when the black gets full. Usually every weekend before i leave i close them up. Don't want the traps to dry out and stink up the camper being open to the sewer system.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

What they said. If you are only staying a few days probably won't dump until you are ready to leave and you will be able to take your time and do a thorough job. Staying longer, then you will be able to take long hot showers and dump without using a tote or moving your RV.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I hook up to city water and hook up my sewer when we get there. We leave both grey and black tank valves closed until needing to dump. We keep an eye on them as we go and we don't worry about how much water we use (ie no need to speed shower or cut water off while soaping up). Usually grey needs to be dumped somewhat frequently when we do this because we aren't really conserving. We always keep the grey somewhat full to chase the black tank. We also do the usual procedures for the black tank dump.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

it has all been said.....you cannot just hook up and leave tanks open. especially the black water.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the comments. I definitely understood the Black water tank part, but didn't think about the gray water being held longer also to flush the line after the Black water tank. Of course, I see maybe having to dump the Gray once or even twice before doing both together, since we'd use the shower and sink more than the toilet.

Of course, my wife won't be able to take those 30 minute showers with a 6 gallon water heater - as she likes a hot shower!

Edited by: epjohnso

2011 Sunset Trails 24RB

2012 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7Hemi
epjohnso is offline   Reply With Quote