Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

What don't you like about your camper?

I really do like our BH, very happy with the purchase. But there are some things that bother me. Some are simply design issues, some are things I am working on fixing.

This also stems from seeing some of the other project threads, then I look at mine and realize "maybe the manufactures are listening, I see older camper owners complain about X and then look at mine, the issue was just another feature". Example, drainage spouts on the roof.

Some things that I don't like about my unit.
  • The rear window on the main slide. It opens up, and has two switches to be pushed, and lift the window. Its clunky, it sticks, its hard to get a good angle on it since you have to climb all the way back into the dinette to reach it. The other windows are much easier to operate EXCEPT
  • The windows in the bunkhouse. The beds are wide enough that even my long arms cannot reach the windows so I have to climb into the bunks to open them.
  • And the drivers side bunk didn't come with a ladder. From the manufacture, there is no simple way to get into the bunk bed
  • The door to access the shore power cord. Its a PITA to open and if it is left open, you can close the main slide and pin the shore power cord door open. I am getting better about remembering, but just seems like a very simple fix to space them differently or have the door hinges on the top.
  • Not a fan of how close the water and the electrical are. And the water should be lower than the electrical connection
  • the white front cap. Not only does it show all the dirt, and little dings from road debris being flicked up, at night, the white glows when I am trying to back up. Its almost blinding.
  • Pantry doors and medicine cabinet. Certainly on dirt roads, but even on pavement, I've had them pop open. Looking at child locks to add to fix this, and also had to add L brackets to fix the medicine cabinet door that split apart at the joints. At least the glass didn't break.

I am sure there are other things, but all of those popped up in the last weekend as a PITA. Also helps me build my list of projects. I also look at other people's campers and see if they have ideas on things I should do to ours.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yep, stuff that a walk thru would always go unnoticed. I know my wife uses hair bands to connect the cupboard doors together to help keep closed.
Pretty happy all along with ours, knowing there will always be a thing or two.
The rear side door design has a bad window design that when it opens, would hit the door it's open more then an inch or so.
Something they wouldn't have designed if noticed before.
Besides, can't complain too much.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Something they wouldn't have designed if noticed before.
Besides, can't complain too much.
Going to have to look at hair band options.

Def some of these things you just think, "man, no one noticed this? Didn't they use a prototype?" I have a couple things like this in my truck (dark hidden cup holders). But overall, so happy with the camper, absolutely love it.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Site Team

My biggest complaints are the recliners that have no lever on them, but a pull button. In order to close them you have to force your legs to close them. Neither my wife or daughter can do it.
Next is the pos sofa bed. It uses the back cushions to complete the bed. They stick up about 2 inches higher than rest of the bed. Poorest design I ever saw. I think it was designed by a 1st grader. On second thought, a 1st grader would have come up with a better design.

Ok, I'll add a third problem. Having all the hook ups, including water, inside the basement hatch area. They could have turned it and added a separate outside door.

I believe the people who design Rv's have never used one.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The windows on the passenger side slide, if opened are open to bugs coming in. The screen isn't even close to being sealed.

The water pump is hidden in the belly of the storage area, behind a wall that has to be removed to winterize it. Should have put in a door....
Old 08-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

We have trouble with those sliding windows too, but they cannot put the other kind on the ends of the slides. If you ever retracted the slide with those kinds of windows extended, it could do a lot of damage.

Other than the overall lack of quality of the unit, what I don't like is all the carpeting (I would prefer none), and the fact that we have to turn the recliners sideways before putting the slides in. I would prefer the couch across the rear, which is what the replacement model for our trailer has.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

We removed all our carpet and installed vinyl Wood flooring. We also thought we could move the couch which is across the rear to where the 2 recliners were in the slide but the recliners were to deep and would catch the slides if positioned across the back
Old 08-17-2016, 04:55 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Was the flooring mod difficult and expensive? Was there any impact on the operation of the slides?

When we go to Florida and remain in one place for three and a half months, we change out the recliners and couch so we are facing the TV with the recliners. The slides will not go in with the couch there because the couch is too deep.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:14 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

The one thing that comes to mind is the front door. It can be tricky to open from the inside and specifically from the outside. You need to grab the lever just right with your fingers and apply a fair amount of pressure with your Thumb to pivot the mechanism. My 8 year old daughter can't do it so we need to make sure the door is left open if the rest of us are wandering the campground, otherwise she can't get in (or out!) of the camper.
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:08 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I downsized drastically and am still coming to terms with less room but that's not a legitimate complaint especially since it is so much easier to haul (which is why I downsized). However it causes annoyances such as a built in box with the pump and outside water hookups at the back between the recliners which acts as a coffee table but won't let you put the couch there. Because the pump is inside, a few inches off the floor, you have to unscrew the front of the coffee table box (already modified that) and basically lie in your stomach to add pink stuff.

I realize that they have limited space so maybe the plumbing needed to be squeezed between the recliners but there should be a plastic lined compartment with exterior door so all liquids would drain outside in case of a leak or spill and you could work on it standing up. And don't even ask about the under the sink and to the right contortions involved in shutting valves on the water heater.

Other than cheap plastic tank fill and city water connections (already replaced with brass ones) I don't have any other major complaints. Of course better quality parts throughout wouldn't be amiss.

Over all, I am very pleased with the unit although I miss the room and luxury of a larger one. Nevertheless, it has amenities that you couldn't get for any price 10 years ago and the overall build quality is quite good.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

ST SL ST270bh

i really wish that all the utilities were at one location. water is at front, power and sewer at back, and cable is all the way in back, usually need a longer cable. but i guess my biggest complaint would be the grey tank. we have to dump daily,the price of keeping it lite i guess. but over all, we are very happy with our rig.
baddfeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtmsk View Post
The one thing that comes to mind is the front door. It can be tricky to open from the inside and specifically from the outside. You need to grab the lever just right with your fingers and apply a fair amount of pressure with your Thumb to pivot the mechanism. My 8 year old daughter can't do it so we need to make sure the door is left open if the rest of us are wandering the campground, otherwise she can't get in (or out!) of the camper.
Nachtmsk, I had a similar problem, sometimes the deadbolt didn't want to slide one way or the other. I had to trim the wood inside the latch catch on the frame and it solved the issue. Don't know if that wold work for your issue...
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Was the flooring mod difficult and expensive? Was there any impact on the operation of the slides?

When we go to Florida and remain in one place for three and a half months, we change out the recliners and couch so we are facing the TV with the recliners. The slides will not go in with the couch there because the couch is too deep.
We had a local flooring company do it for us. 1200.00. Rv remodeling places wanted as high as 5000.00. you need to be careful of the thickness of the vinyl as it will affect the slides if to thick. With 2 4 legged babies the place is much easier for Momma to clean
Old 08-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Angry faulty electrical

Just coming back from our biggest trip yet with the newer camper and electrically we still cannot use a hair dryer in the bathroom and we cannot use an electric griddle in any outside plug without tripping a breaker. I even unplugged the outside fridge and it stills trips the breaker.

we have had the hair drier issue looked at when under warranty and they were fixing many other faults but they could not find a problem.

Now my wife blow dries her hair in plugged into the cabinet plug by the door and I do the same with the griddle plugged in there as well. Its the only circuit that seems to hold any loads which verifies there is no problems with the hair drier and griddle which both work fine in the house.

some threads indicate Randy welcoming them back to the factory to fix overloaded (over 8 outlets per circuit) circuits but as I live in Alberta that option was not even offered. We are currently out of warranty by 3 months. I am starting to wonder if they used poor circuit breakers that wont hold up to 15 amps.
Smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

We have the same issue with our 2015 st29ss.
Any plugs that are useful to the kitchen area are on the same circuit and wont handle much. Haven't figured out an answer yet other than an extension cord to the campground power if it has a 110 outlet! We like to set up a table under the awning and put the coffee pot and the toaster there so everyone can help themselves. Works ok if only one appliance is in use but even a hair dryer in the bathroom trips the breaker if the toaster is in use. Have also had issues with trim falling off and had a water leak at the city water connector last trip that resulted in a flooded carpet and wet compartments under the converter and a bunk bed. Currently at my dealers to check the damage and replace the connector as well as repair windows that we can barely open or close.
On the plus side, the trailer tows well, the last two trips have been in high winds with no real swaying even when a transport ahead of us blew right across the road into the other lane
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinjoe View Post
Just coming back from our biggest trip yet with the newer camper and electrically we still cannot use a hair dryer in the bathroom and we cannot use an electric griddle in any outside plug without tripping a breaker. I even unplugged the outside fridge and it stills trips the breaker.

we have had the hair drier issue looked at when under warranty and they were fixing many other faults but they could not find a problem.

Now my wife blow dries her hair in plugged into the cabinet plug by the door and I do the same with the griddle plugged in there as well. Its the only circuit that seems to hold any loads which verifies there is no problems with the hair drier and griddle which both work fine in the house.

some threads indicate Randy welcoming them back to the factory to fix overloaded (over 8 outlets per circuit) circuits but as I live in Alberta that option was not even offered. We are currently out of warranty by 3 months. I am starting to wonder if they used poor circuit breakers that wont hold up to 15 amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
We have the same issue with our 2015 st29ss.
Any plugs that are useful to the kitchen area are on the same circuit and wont handle much. Haven't figured out an answer yet other than an extension cord to the campground power if it has a 110 outlet! We like to set up a table under the awning and put the coffee pot and the toaster there so everyone can help themselves. Works ok if only one appliance is in use but even a hair dryer in the bathroom trips the breaker if the toaster is in use. Have also had issues with trim falling off and had a water leak at the city water connector last trip that resulted in a flooded carpet and wet compartments under the converter and a bunk bed. Currently at my dealers to check the damage and replace the connector as well as repair windows that we can barely open or close.
On the plus side, the trailer tows well, the last two trips have been in high winds with no real swaying even when a transport ahead of us blew right across the road into the other lane

Have you guys checked in the breaker panel to see if it has the double pole breakers or not? CR use to be famous for installing them in the panel.
If you have them, and, have any empty slots for more breakers, you can do what I did and convert them over to the single pole breaker. Just make sure you figure out where the loads are an replace accordingly.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We have trouble with those sliding windows too, but they cannot put the other kind on the ends of the slides. If you ever retracted the slide with those kinds of windows extended, it could do a lot of damage.

Other than the overall lack of quality of the unit, what I don't like is all the carpeting (I would prefer none), and the fact that we have to turn the recliners sideways before putting the slides in. I would prefer the couch across the rear, which is what the replacement model for our trailer has.
The windows I'm talking about are the ones that face out. There's a handle that screws to open. I wish I could take a pic to show you, but it's in the shop getting repaired again. Third month of the camping seasons that we've owned it for 2 years!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
New Camper

I replaced the water pump on mine and left the wall out altogether. Moved pump and all wiring back and now have much more storage.
Billmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

About the white front cap...at least it will not fade like the darker ones...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

I use hairbands, those heavy thick blue rubber bands that broccoli comes with, and more to keep cabinet doors closed. Several doors have fallen off and we don't go on any rough roads.

For the price of my new '16, I thought they could have put a bed holder thingie that would hold the bed up for me. Right now its a two person job...

All but two of the windows slide easily. Grrr...

After a few months, I replaced the crappy spring-filled cushions in the dinette with some from The Foam Factory. Super comfortable now!

DH and I bonk our heads on the awning over the outdoor kitchen; thank goodness for the cut up foam noodles on the points that we hit our heads on. Coulda been designed a bit better.

We added spring loaded hinges to all the upward opening cabinets. What a difference!
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote