Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

What order first to put slide out?

I have a question about putting slide out? I see the dealers put them out with no stabilizers down but I have also read that the stabilizers should always be down before slide goes out. Since mine has been a bit sticky going in I was wondering if there is a order or does it matter?

This is are first slide so we don't really know.....
Firestone Work-Rite
Kipor IG2000p
crowsnestflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

It is recommended to be somewhat level before putting slides out. I always put out my stabilizers before putting mine out.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

The RV dealers tend to do what is easiest for them - not what is best for the RV.

We level the fifth wheel, unhitch, and then put down the rear stabilizers. With 2 slides on one side (bed and kitchen) I have the unit slightly "high" on the dinette/sofa slide side (single slide side) when I level the fifth wheel. We extend the dinette/sofa slide then the kitchen and bed slide.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I normally set up the camper this way. I get it leveled, stabs down and then the slides can come out. Now I do slide one out when in a rest stop and eating or resting. I have seen RV dealers move the rigs around with the slides out I do not think I would do that.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnestflyfisher View Post
I have a question about putting slide out? I see the dealers put them out with no stabilizers down but I have also read that the stabilizers should always be down before slide goes out. Since mine has been a bit sticky going in I was wondering if there is a order or does it matter?

This is are first slide so we don't really know.....
If the unit is fairly level, then setup order should not matter. I generally run the slides out prior to lowering the rear stabilizers. In fact, there are a number of times we have stayed overnight and never used the rear stabilizers at all. Also, my unit is stored indoors without using the stabilizers but with all slides open. My biggest concern is opening the main slide at rest stops, many are not very level compared to the typical RV site or Walmart parking lot.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Seeing some of the tight sites at some parks, I think I'd check to make sure I could even get the slides out without hitting something.
That would be first on my list.
A broom handle marked appropriately is a good "measuring stick".

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
If the unit is fairly level, then setup order should not matter. I generally run the slides out prior to lowering the rear stabilizers. In fact, there are a number of times we have stayed overnight and never used the rear stabilizers at all. Also, my unit is stored indoors without using the stabilizers but with all slides open. My biggest concern is opening the main slide at rest stops, many are not very level compared to the typical RV site or Walmart parking lot.
Same here. The rear stabilizers are generally not all that sturdy, so I like to be level with all the slides out before I put them down. It isn't unusual for the unit to tilt a bit to one side with the slides out, and I'm afraid it might damage one of the rear stabilizers by putting it in a bind. They just aren't designed to handle a lot of weight.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the help. I will make sure TT is level first as I noticed last time once slide was out we were leaning again so it will take a bit to get it right.
Firestone Work-Rite
Kipor IG2000p
Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

The primary reason for leveling (other than not rolling out of the bed ) is for the rv type fridge...

anything within 3 or 4 degrees should be good for it - so it's doesn't need to be PERFECT.

If your fridge is level, everything else should be good... IMHO !

As far as slides - when I bring the rv home to load up or whatever, it is usually at a slant but I've never worried about it on any of my rv's over the years...
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Forgot to add another point. There is a reason the rear jacks are called 'stabilizers'. The rear electric stabilizers on my unit do not level the unit side-to-side, they will help with leveling front-to-back somewhat, but in reality they are just stabilizers. When being extended, one stabilizer contacts the ground first and stops moving until the second also makes contact, then they provide equal lift. Whether you extend them before opening the slides or after, they cannot compensate for a setup that is out of level side-to-side.

If a trailer is equipped with individual stabilizers, they can be set to compensate for some side-to-side tilt from the initial setup or after extending the slides. But there is a limit to how much lifting they can do.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Was out this weekend and levelled TT first, put down stabilizers till they contacted the ground and then put slide out. Reverse when packing up and this is the first time the slide did not need a little push to get it to go in so I think problem solved.

Thanks for the help
Firestone Work-Rite
Kipor IG2000p
Old 07-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Good deal !
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I would think a level stable trailer would have the least strain on the slide mechanism. I have several friends that have had a lot of slide mechanism problems as well as reading about them on these forums.

So any thing to reduce the stress has to be good.

My slide travel is almost 36 inches. I keep a yard stick in the basement of my 5th wheel. The DW holds the yard stick on any obstacle as I am backing the trailer. This makes sure there is room for the slide and gives me a good target when backing.

I level and set the stabilizers and connect to shore power before I extend the slides. If boon docking I connect my generator before operating the slides. This puts much less strain on the slide motors with full voltage and helps extend battery life.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote