Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
New Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4
What size breaker is on your ac unit?

I bought a 2018 zinger 290kb off the lot, been having an issue with the air conditioner breaker tripping. It is on a 15 amp breaker, and the manual shows it can pull up to 16amps on start up. I had an electrician check it, and its pulling 13.3-13.5 while running. He told me that the wire was sized correctly for the load being 12awg wire it was rated for 20amps, bit the breaker was sized to low. He said that the NEC code was no more than 12.5 amps for a 15 amp breaker which is 80%.
So my question is what size is your breaker for your air conditioner? Did they screw up, or is the unit just pulling too much power due to a defect?
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
HC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 274
Sounds like the minimal axles and tires to save costs situation. 20 amp sounds more reasonable but I'm not an electrician. However I have run my ac and other small things plugged into a 20 amp circuit. Unfortunately I don't have access to my unit to look at the moment. Sorry.
__________________
2015 Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF27RL, 2018 F250 diesel crewcab SRW 4WD short bed, Trailer Saver hitch with Reese adapter on Ford OEM underbed 5th wheel connector.
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Mb
Posts: 139
What size breaker is on your ac unit?

My 2013 ZT260BH has a 20 amp
__________________
2013 Zinger ZT260BH towed by a 2013 Silverado Z71 1500 CC 5.3L
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 7,655
The breaker on ours is 20 amp. 13.5 AC
Is your breaker panel using double pull breakers, or are they all single?
__________________
2008 Cruiser CF26RK
2013 Ford Eco-Boost
Heavy duty payload - Max tow
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
New Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4
They are all singles
HC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 7,655
Seems peculiar that the electrician didn't change the breaker or suggest that you should do it.
I'm not telling you what to do, but, if it were mine, I would replace that 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp.
Have you talked with the dealership you purchased it from?
__________________
2008 Cruiser CF26RK
2013 Ford Eco-Boost
Heavy duty payload - Max tow
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
Site Team
 
mark5w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 4,754
Checked mine: 20 amp
__________________
Mark & Susan
Lehighton, Pennsylvania

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
New Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Seems peculiar that the electrician didn't change the breaker or suggest that you should do it.
I'm not telling you what to do, but, if it were mine, I would replace that 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp.
Have you talked with the dealership you purchased it from?
He said he'd have to pick one up before he could change it. The dealership toldme that it was supposed to have a 20 in it. Crossroads told me that they didn't have any documentation on what breaker it should have.
They also informed me that it would void the warranty if I had an electrician change it. They said i would have to get a mobile rv tech to do it, or bring it in.
HC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper
 
Aceallenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 291
I'd be throwing a 20A breaker in there no questions asked, beside how could they void the warranty, not like they have quality control to guarantee a 20 wasn't in there, hence the wrong amp breaker to begin with..
__________________
2012 ST25RB SunSet Trail - RESERVE
Silverado LT Z71
Aceallenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 7,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
how could they void the warranty, not like they have quality control to guarantee a 20 wasn't in there, hence the wrong amp breaker to begin with..



I like that.
__________________
2008 Cruiser CF26RK
2013 Ford Eco-Boost
Heavy duty payload - Max tow
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #11
Full Time Camper
 
coastn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Breckenridge,CO
Posts: 878
X 2!
__________________
CAMPGROUND "DRIVEWAY"

Breckenridge, CO
'08 ST30BH Traded
'15 Canyon Trail 31FBHS 5er
'16 Fox Mountain 235 RLS 5er
'14 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member
 
Biggles607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
I'd be throwing a 20A breaker in there no questions asked, beside how could they void the warranty, not like they have quality control to guarantee a 20 wasn't in there, hence the wrong amp breaker to begin with..



It never ceases to amaze me what has become acceptable.

Crossroads can't tell you what breaker should have been in there.

Surely the installation spec sheet that comes with the A/C had details of what it should be. I'll dig mine out.

Everybody so far is spot on, my 13,500 BTU unit is on a dedicated 20 amp breaker, as your should be.
__________________
Biggles
2015 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 5.7 V8
2017 Zinger Z-1 291RL "Harvey'
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper
 
2slick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rockport, TX
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me what has become acceptable.

Crossroads can't tell you what breaker should have been in there.

Surely the installation spec sheet that comes with the A/C had details of what it should be. I'll dig mine out.

Everybody so far is spot on, my 13,500 BTU unit is on a dedicated 20 amp breaker, as your should be.

Not surprised at all, as they couldn't even tell me what to torque our lug nuts to.
__________________
Will

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #14
New Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4
I had this woman in customer service tell me that it was perfectly fine for it to have a 15amp on it b/c ut is a slow blow breaker... I just threw in a 20 in its place, doubt I'll have any more issues.
HC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
New Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1
As an Electrical Engineer I can say the following:
12 - 13 amps sounds about right for the AC unit in your RV.
If your AC circuit is wired with 12 awg wire then it was intended to have a 20amp circuit breaker. Sounds like someone at the factory mistakenly popped in a 15 amp circuit breaker an easy mistake to make. My recommendation is to take it back to the dealer from whom you bought it and ask them to replace the breaker with the correct one.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #16
Full Time Camper
 
salda01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Wi.
Posts: 704
I my unit the water heater breaker was causing heat buildup and tripping the ac breaker. I moved the water heater down to an empty slot on the panel. Never a tripping issue again.
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #17
New Camper
 
Camprgram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 6
Breaker, breaker

Mine is a 20amp paired with a 15 amp single pole. the ac is 20 amp. Siemens type OT. I got mine from Amazon in 2 days. Hope this helps.
Camprgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #18
New Camper
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 6
AC breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC423 View Post
I bought a 2018 zinger 290kb off the lot, been having an issue with the air conditioner breaker tripping. It is on a 15 amp breaker, and the manual shows it can pull up to 16amps on start up. I had an electrician check it, and its pulling 13.3-13.5 while running. He told me that the wire was sized correctly for the load being 12awg wire it was rated for 20amps, bit the breaker was sized to low. He said that the NEC code was no more than 12.5 amps for a 15 amp breaker which is 80%.
So my question is what size is your breaker for your air conditioner? Did they screw up, or is the unit just pulling too much power due to a defect?
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
My 2006 Cruiser has 15 Amp breaker too. And, like you, mine keeps tripping the breaker too. I have talked with a lot of owners about this problem. Most of them have 20 Amp breakers. This that donít, have the same problem.
mikea1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×