Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2007 CR29RE fifth wheel, it still has the original tires andrims on it, the rims are brushed aluminum, I plan on buying new tires for it when it comes out of storage this spring, the stocktires are Towmaster 225/75/R15 load range D, I would like to install Maxxis 225/75/R15 load range E, the current tires max. air pressure is 65lbs. Does anyone know if the current stock rims are rated for air pressure to handle the new Maxxis tires, max. air pressure for them is 80psi.
kylied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I did the same thing to mine a few years back and wondered about the rims as well. I called the manufacturer (A.R.E. ???) and they said the aluminum rims are good for 80 psi as long as you use steel stems. I went to the Maxxis and have been running them for 3 years and they are a much better tire. I also got a TPMS and now feel much better knowing I can monitor the tires from the cab of the truck while driving.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Don't they stamp most of the rims someplace on the inside, stating the rated tire pressure?

Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

As Lloyd said, it should be stamped somewhere on the inside/back of therim.
Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I thought so too, but darned if I could find it. I looked everywhere and then just called to manu.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Stan, can you tell me the name of the manu.? Also I am thinking of the getting a tmps when I buy the new tires, would you comment on what system you purchased and how it is working out for you, glad to hear the Maxxis are working out for you, hope it will work for me too.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I just checked, and they are HWT rims with the 10 holes around the inside. My TPMS is a Hawkshead and has worked great. There are other brands which people have commented work good for them as well. Do a search here as this has been discussed about a year or two ago. The only thing I would add is if I were to get a different TPMS, I would opt for the stems that allow you to top off the air with the TPMS still installed. As it is, I have to remove the sensor to add air.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylied
Stan, can you tell me the name of the manu.? Also I am thinking of the getting a tmps when I buy the new tires, would you comment on what system you purchased and how it is working out for you, glad to hear the Maxxis are working out for you, hope it will work for me too.

You should look at TST, they offer a 6 sensor kit for around $300. Ordered from the factory, it includes a 2 yr warranty. The 2 on my truck are external with replaceable batteries. I upgraded the 4 on the trailer to flow-thru in-wheel sensors that are supposed to have a 7 yr battery life. Total price was about $360. Discount Tire installed the sensors for free while installing new tires. The in-wheel sensors provide more accurate temperature readings than the external sensors, so it should be easier to detect a dragging brake shoe or hot wheel bearing along with actual tire issues.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Stan, thank you for checking out the rims, and also the advice on your tpms, I do think my rims are the same as yours, I'll be looking into my options for the tpms.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

On my 06 the 15 rims are stamped 60.

https://i43.tinypic.com/rlz8tk.jpg

Life is too short not to live it as a Texan.
Texas1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I too have the TST 507 system with flow through sensors. I had purchased this system just before the three blowouts on our former Cruiser. Yes, the sensors were in place but the monitor not on that day. I lost three of the four sensors when the tires blew. My insurance paid the cost of three new sensorsthat were purchased direct from TST. I now have them installed plus two more, for a total of six, on the motorhome. And yes, I intend to have the monitor ON when doing any traveling.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote