Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Wheels not balanced?

After picking up the first nail, I replaced all four tires this week. (overkill? ) My model takes a 205/75R14, and I replaced them with a set of Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST's. (Yes, I've read all the discussion on ST vs LT's)
I help out at a local auto shop, and that's where we swapped tires. I noticed there were no balance weights on the rims at all. After mounting the new tires, the balance machine demanded some serious (2.0) weights on each wheel.
With all the fears/scares/horror stories about wheels and tires, could it be that part of the problem might come from unbalanced wheels, shaking and vibrating? You can see the difference readily on the spin balancer.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Marty I think it was the right way to go, and the balancing of all the wheels and tires was another good move. This has been discussed here on the forum numerous times. It just stands to reason, if you balance the tires on your car, it only makes sense to realize the tires and wheels on the trailer need it also.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

The last time I had new tire placed on the Cruiser the tire shop guys just started to put them back on with out balancing them. I stopped them and said they need ed to be balanced. Their reply was we never balance trailer tires. I said I paid for them to balanced and they will be balanced. I watch as they were done lots of weights were needed, and on tire had to be broken down and moved. After they were done the tire installer said he was sorry aand that he learned a lesson today.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Is there a place on the rim where the weights can be fastened to? . Or must they be glued on?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Is there a place on the rim where the weights can be fastened to? . Or must they be glued on?
I did them myself. I used the old fashioned, hammer-on type where the spring clip grabs the rim, right at the tire edge. Just like a car. I have the regular, white, steel wheels, nothing high-tech or fancy.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have always balanced my trailer tires,and the back side of any tire takes the hammer on weights and on the alum you use the stick on weights . One of my current rims had to be replaced because of 10"of weight to balance...was not keeping that one.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Slightly off topic, but I'm sure we've all seen the videos of people using aerosol and a lighter to put a tire back on its bead. This morning I saw a video of a guy who must have used something wetter like WD-40. He sprayed it inside the tire and all over the bead. When he touched the lighter to it it caught the whole tire on fire. It looked like he had a mess on his hands, but he snuffed most of it out. When he was *almost* finished he blew on the last little bit that was still burning. This ignited the gasses inside the tire and blew the whole thing up (without seating it back on the bead).

Gotta love the internet and stupid people.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

At my local tire place they were constantly using either and lighting it to seat the bead on large tires. A few months ago it actually blew up and put the guy in the hospital.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I have my trailer tires balanced. Then I add a couple ounces of balance beads.

If you look you will find the trailer drums were not balanced. You will not find a weight welded on or a portion of the drum machined off like you found on cars that had drum brakes.

The balance beads take care of the drum balance.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote