Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
New Camper

I have had it with trying to have the right tires on ---- 15" load range E that were 4 years old with less than 10,000 miles. Always kept inside when not using and setting on stall pads so they are not directly on the ground. Took a trip to NClast week and blew 2 out and had anotherwith tread coming loose. Also hadpressure monitor so none of them were low on air. Not overloaded on trailer. My question is that I have a 29RK and would like to go to 16". Have been told that I might be close to the slide bar that sits along axles. Has anybody went to16" on this particular trailer and if so what tire size are you running. I knew after following this forum for5 years that I might finally have a question. Thanks.

06 duramax

29RK
railroad michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You also need to see how much vertical clearance you have. Can't help on the 16" question.

Don't feel bad, my Maxxis E tires failed at three yrs and 2 months. After reading more, it seems that the ST tire manufacturers state tires should be replaced between 3 and 5 yrs, meaning you can be running on borrowed time after 3 yrs. My failure was in August in +100 F temps. and my monitor alarm went off at the first hint of air loss. All 4 tires were experiencing tread separation and one tire had 'grown' over two inches in diameter and was rubbing the fender skirt. All four were hitting the underside of the floor on hard bumps.

Manufacturers also state any time a tire fails, the other tire on that side should be replaced at the same time since it was probably overstressed. Since you shouldn't run unmatched tires on the same axle, that either means replace all 4 tires or 2 new tires on the axle with the blowout and move the other old tire from that axle to replace the overstressed tire on the other axle. Doing anything less probably just invites more problems real soon.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Went to 16x7 inch rims. Tires used are LT225x75x16 LRE BF Goodrich Commercial TA. No Problem with the slide rod. Plenty of clearance to bottom of trailer. Curb side fender is good. Road side fender was installed by the factory both a little lower and about an inch further to the rear of the trailer. Have about 1500 miles so far, no problems.

I just wish I had ordered 6 inch wide rims. I plan to reset the slide side fender next spring.

2008 Cruiser 29RK
2005 Silverado 2500HD Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax
rgbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Most tire stores have sizing charts that state " OD,Width,Curcumfrance,Revs/mile" so you should be able to find same OD from 15 to 16 inch rims. Did this with my car 16" winter wheels to 18" summers. And as for 3 years...my old trailer was 10 years old and was from Niagra Falls to Yellowstone to St.Louis,MO in those years plus LOTS of shorter trips.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote