Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

When we sold the Cruiser last month the buyer's credit union did all the paperwork. I did get a bill of sale at the time they gave their deposit. His credit union took care of my payoff to my lender as the lender held the titleand all the title paperwork. It was very easy.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

What about silly things like the sales tax and the license plate? I sold a horse trailer for cash years ago on craigslist but it was less than$1000 and I owed nothing. Buyer was a cop and offfered to turn tags on for me. I reported vehicle as sold and gave her a hand typed bill of sale. Sorry for so many questions but we are looking at trading up to a 5 er and I know I could get a lot more for my tt on craigslist. I'm just afraid of all the bad possibilities like a bad cashiers check or using PayPal and then having them dispute the charge. My bank doesn't have a local branch so meeting there for cashier check verification or depositing that much cash can't happen. Maybe an electronic transfer would work.

Art- how did you set up the credit union? Was that a financier for the buyer?Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro
How do you sell a TT on Craigslist if the bank owns the title? I know I would be Leary of giving someone money and then waiting for a title to be mailed to me.

I have sold many things on craigslist that were not cleared. Including the camper we have on there now. In the past, I took a deposit from the people, gave them a receipt and had their bank deal directly with my bank. The buyer can pay the wire fee. Then just had my bank put proceeds in my account. People come to pick it up and all is good.
It was easier before because Wisconsin used to give you the actual title with the banks name on it. Now the bank keeps it like most states. WI just started this last year.

There of coarse has to be some mutual trust when doing this. One could have problems each way.
azandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro
What about silly things like the sales tax and the license plate? I sold a horse trailer for cash years ago on craigslist but it was less than$1000 and I owed nothing. Buyer was a cop and offfered to turn tags on for me. I reported vehicle as sold and gave her a hand typed bill of sale. Sorry for so many questions but we are looking at trading up to a 5 er and I know I could get a lot more for my tt on craigslist. I'm just afraid of all the bad possibilities like a bad cashiers check or using PayPal and then having them dispute the charge. My bank doesn't have a local branch so meeting there for cashier check verification or depositing that much cash can't happen. Maybe an electronic transfer would work.

Art- how did you set up the credit union? Was that a financier for the buyer?
anaro,
I purchased a used mobile home years ago that had a lien on the title. The buyer and I met at his bank. I paid the note off and him, the bank gave me a clean title.
In selling, I usually ask for -cash. I have taken a bank check, but even those aren't safe from the seller stopping payment. I just sold a chevy PU and didn't know the guy. I took his personal check. He has a summer home just down the road from me. I guess you have to use your own intuition on some things. Just be careful in doing so. There are a lot of "good" people out there, but there is a few shysters also.

Electronic transfers I personally wouldn't do unless it was the "bank only" that had my info.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

I went to the buyer's credit union and signed a power of attorney permitting them to transfer the title to the buyer once the payoff to my lender had been made.The entire processtook five minutes of my time. When the buyer came to pickup the Cruiser he had a check from the credit union to me for the proceeds of the sale after the payoff. After the buyer drove off with the coach I went onto the DMV's website and did the online notification that I longer owned it.
As I said, it was a breeze.

Art and Karen
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

One important thing: When you look at the NADA price guide the ONLY thing to reference is the price WITHOUT options. If you add the options your price will be way too high. Dealers use the NADA "low" price without options. Don't add those options!

Art and Karen
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 02-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Art makes a good point, but it is also important to undertand that some models are "hotter" then others in the market. When I priced my Forester, I checked RVTrader and craigslist for exact or similar models. What I found was very few local Class C motorhomes with bunk models locally that were 3< old. After posting my camper on craigslist and RVTrader I fielded about a dozen calls and a handful of actual walk-thru's. Some buyers were legit and from as far as Ohio.

Long story short, from deciding to place the ad to receving the payoff took three weeks. I had similar results on my Cruiser 4 years ago.

Be market savvy to what you can fetch for a price and what local units look like. In my case, there was no competition and the ones that were for sale were "rentals" or units that looked to be in, at best, fair condition.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #28
Seasonal Camper

My TT was bought new by me and I kept it 8 years. That probably helped it sell so fast. My main advice is except "Cash Only".
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote