Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Would anyone like to weigh in on which GPS is best for RVing? I need one that's up to date on campgrounds, has routing for large rigs and height restictions. I'm thinking a motor carrier routing unit might be good. Do they have camping sites too?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have found that my smartphone (Motorola Droid) nav. system is has worked the best for me. It pulls info from the web and has built in GPS.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I bouught my unit from here. Their customer service is superb! The have a chart to help you compare the units. These are trucker units and will route you as if you were a truck but can route cars too. http://www.dieselboss.com/truck_gps_review_features.htm

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I find that DW is best she all ways knows. Has lots of disagreements with our GPS very vocal about it too, makes for good entertainment

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Boy Frank I don't know if I dare agree with you my wife is in the same room as me.lol.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

My Alpine in dash unit works well and the dvd player comes in handy. I replaced the factory voice and all guidance settings with the new WIFE VERSION 1.0 this software version is always correct (just ask her) also can't be beat to find a shopping mall.

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I think we do not need for our wives to meet

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I have an Omnitech got it from Staples a few years ago and I likeit alot.

I call her (the GPS)Wong Urn.

But mine doesnt give you campgrounds, I just type that in where Im going. Thelow bridges, I have a trucker atlas for that if I need it. (Used to be a truck driver)Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I have a Garmin Street Pilot C340 that I got as a gift four years ago. I have kept the map updated as well as the traffic receiver. The Points of Interest Factory on the Net has lots of RV related POIs you can d/l and install. The drawback to this GPS is readability in bright light and its small screen. I have a new Garmin 1490T on order from Best Buy. It has lots of bells and whistles as well as a bright 5" screen. It too will store POIs from the Net.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the advice. We have a Garmin 1490T but it has sent on some really bad routes for a fifth wheel and we are considering a trucker unit. The auto routing will try to shave even a few feet off a route and send us down residential streets which can be a disaster in New England. The Garmin (and most units) has trouble deciding which way we are headed when we power up and leave a gas station and often suggests a turn in the wrong dircetion. The DW always has a better idea for a route but can't "recalculate" as quickly when we miss a turn.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Do you set your Garmin for "Fastest Route"or "Shortest Route"? Sometimes "Shortest Route" will put you onto city streets. There is a third party app you can install that will keep you from going under low clearances.

BTW: My GPS' name is Lucy LostEdited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Janet has named our GPS Sally after one of her friends who never shuts up. Came into play the first time we used her, we we got off the interstate to get fuel. The infamous do a u trun when safe continueous

Edited by: fhenn
Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

I second the Garmin Street Pilot c340. This one speaks the street names. One model line down doesn't. These are earlier models which look more like a tube tv than a flat screen tv like the newer ones. I have not had any bad experiences to date.

On the plus side

It has a truck mode which most newer ones do not (unless you get a specific truck one which is usually a lot more $$)

I got a refurb for about $90 - the beanbag type mount almost cost as much as the GPS.

It says the street names.

You can get just about any POI's you want from the website mentioned above.Edited by: croberts

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #14
Site Team

I don't have a GPS. Always did it the old fashion way---read the map. Been thinking maybe I should relent/breakdown, and splurge on one of these newfangled contraptions.
So I will ask the same old questions, which one is the best and the easiest to operate? Has there been anything new come out since this thread first started?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I think GPS units are like computers and cell phones...as soon as you buy one they are outdated. I have a older Magellan and just bought a Tom Tom for a gift. Both are good units. We did not get one with Traffic updates as I have heard you also get pop-up advertisements which would be annoying. Shop for features and understand what the feature will do for you. I like spoken street names and lane advice. Free map update feature is also a bonus.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Lloyd I got the first one six years ago found it worked well for the time. Janet and the Unit futher known as Sally) have had great disagreements on which way to go at times. Does make life interesting. The battery on this unit has now gone out out can not find a replacement. I am looking at a seven inch Magellan on Amazon the older I get the bigger the picture I like

Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Garmin Nuvi is supposedly about to release a GPS with specialty features for RV owners, such as route selections based on bridge height and the length of trailer you can pull. I read this on the Montana owners' forum. Right now it offers a GPS for truck use with some of the same features, but it's an old design- the Garmin Nuvi 465T,
Tom Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:21 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Got the same info as Tom about a new Truck/RV GPS. Supposed to be out in March but now may be delayed a month or so.
The older ones worked better with settings for Bus and Trucks so I think this one will restore these features.

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ren
Got the same info as Tom about a new Truck/RV GPS. Supposed to be out in March but now may be delayed a month or so.
The older ones worked better with settings for Bus and Trucks so I think this one will restore these features.
[QUOTE=Tom Holsinger]Garmin Nuvi is supposedly about to release a GPS

with specialty features for RV owners, such as route selections based on

bridge height and the length of trailer you can pull. I read this on

the Montana owners' forum. Right now it offers a GPS for truck use with

some of the same features, but it's an old design- the Garmin Nuvi

465T,[/QUOTE

Is this the model you guys are talking about? According to Garmin this is their new model???
It's the most expensive one--of course.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=garmin+560dezl&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Aga rmin+560dezl&ajr=3

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #20
fjo
Weekend Camper

Garmin make one for truckers. I think it is the 465T. You program what the length and height of you unit is and it is suppose to route you accordingly.
fjo is offline   Reply With Quote