Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I have a curiosity question as to why people so frequently trade/upgrade their RVs. When we were in the market we decided on a unit based on something that would last a long time. This meant years as we have no intention of buying another RV. Our grandchildren were 4 and 1 when we bought the Cruiser and we bought what we thought will grow with the family. RVs are such a depreciating asset that you can never get ahead or your money's worth unless you keep it fora very long time. It is similar to a motor vehicle. If one trades every couple of years you will always be in the hole. My wife's 2005 SUV has been paid off for 3-1/2 years with no intention of replacing it any time soon. My truck is a 2009 with only 34,000 miles. I figure at that rate it will be good for at least ten years and 200,000 miles.

Once again, I am not looking to insult anyone. We are all permitted to indulge ourselves as we see fit, or not. Just curious.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you have the means why not.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Artgpo, have always wondered the same thing. Although our first two units were trial units, as were seeing if this was what we really wanted to do and therefore we purchased used, but still had each unit for 3 years. Our current unit, bought new, is now starting it's eigth year, and the plan is for it to be around awhile. The wife's SUV is a 2003 with 75,000 miles and paid off in 2008 with plans for it to stay around. The exception is my truck ( personal and work) that gets around 150K every 5 years and gets replaced.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Shane, I do agree that it is a personal decision. I was taught that money does not grow on trees but never lived life that way. I was always trading in for a new car every three years. It took me a long time to realize that driving the wheels off was the best way to go. I am not out to impress anyone. Being retired and living on pensions certainly has changedmy perspective. Our investments have to last a long time so buying new vehicles and RVs does not work for us. I would rather have an appreciating asset invested someplace than a shiny depreciating one in the driveway/campground.
Personal choice.

Art and Karen
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I think a lot of newbies buy with the thought of they will buy and see how they like it. I see a lot of advice given out there to buy used, learn the ropes and learn what you like and don't like, then trade it in. For some this may work. For us, we bought our Zinger w/ a 10 yr ownership plan. We thought about current and future needs. We were newbies that did our homework and got a good trailer with a floorplan that will work for a long time for us.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

My next TT will be a toy hauler that I can entertain in. Some of the models we have looked at have nice fold out decks that are screen inclosed..

Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

You only hear or read posts from those that have made recent RV purchases. It would take an owner's poll to find out the average length of RV ownership. You could also look at signatures to get a better idea, but again new owners (either newbies or upgrades) will be posting more often.

Of our 4 previous 5th wheels, two were owned for 7+ yrs and two for just a couple of yrs. Needs, wants, financial resources and new features don't always align with long term ownership.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

What Larry says is so true. It is the same for complaints. Sure, many of us participate on here to shout the praises of our CR products. Most of us have had complaints as well. The loudest voices sometimes seem to be those with issues with their coach.

Art and Karen
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 02-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

As you travel the highways you don't see many RV junkyards so someone must be keeping their units. I think some buy just to have the latest of everything but most keep their units longer than the advertised average three years.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

The main reason we traded our 07 for the 2010 was because of the significant changes Crossroads made in the 30sk floorplan. The larger cabinet/countertop area and the wardrobe area gave us more space and useability for our three month winter stay in the south. Can't imagine anything coming along that would cause us to trade this one.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Allow me to add my $.02? Had a used motorhome for a couple years and even though I had always planned on a 5er, just couldn't make it happen at that time. Things improved for me, and traded the motorhome for this, we love it and plan on keeping it til I cannot drive any longer,God willing!

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Oh boy don't get me started......LOL

Many years ago when we were just married, we bought a tent trailer that was a huge step up from a tent. After 2 years we sold it and bought a 20ft tandem TT which we kept for a year, we didn't have much money back then so it was what we could afford.

We had lots of troubles with that trailer andduring the time my wife got a better job, we upgraded it to a new 26ft TT, two years later the first child came along anda year after that we were travelling again but the TT was a pain on long trips with the child.

We bought a 26ft Class C motorhome used and for the next 12 years we couldn't afford anything else and it served the purpose well.

The kids werenow going into the teens and it was cramped so we upgraded to a 27ftBunkhouse 5wheeler. 3 yrs later they didn't want togo with us and the bunks took up valuable storage and living space so we went to a 29ft used 5wheeler withbig living area but my wife ended up not liking the sink in the bedroom instead of in the bathroom with the toilet.

Wecould afford to buy so we bought a brand new 34ft5wheeler with the layout we thought we really liked,turns out it wasn't just exactly what worked for us after a year of use. The dealer had just got a new 4 slide 37 ft 5 wheeler in and gave us a great deal so we bought it thinking okay this is the one.............. after 2 years itisn't quite working right as our daughter is now coming with us with her spouse and little kids now and then so we are now ready to sign for the CF345RF Cruiser loaded up which will have to be the right one as my wife is retiring and moving to fixed income.

We did this movement because we can........ did we need to change no but we can afford it so we are doing it. Likely a waste of money and it does cost lots of money to keep changing but in my view YOUR A LONG TIME DEAD so why not enjoy what you want while you have the health to enjoy it.

too many folks fromwork hang on until they are 65 years old to retire and say they are saving for retirement to buy an rv and start enjoying life only to end up passing away a year later.

I just thing those folks have it all wrong.........

That's just us though and I think also it's like boaters who get footitise.............LOL

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Site Team

speedster, you sound like my echo.
Been there--done that!
After 10 or 11 different camping apparatus's, we have probably kept this Cruiser longer then any previous unit.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Dad always said "RVs are like boats-2years then 2 feet bigger".

We have always kept our toys untill the trade was still worth something and the time was right to upgrade. Now the comuter car is 11yrs and 183000, loking at maybe retiring with it in 10-15 years .

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

We started with a popup and used it for 10 years. When we decided to do more camping in the Western states, we felt a TT would be safer. So that lasted for about 5 years until my DH thought I should drive when towing and I didn't feel safe. Got a used 5er Prowler that cured my driving worries. Thought we would move up to a bh 5er for the grandsons and hunting partners. Planned to keep it until retirement and then downsize to a smaller 5er. Had a frame failure with the bh and traded it on a new Cruiser 5er. Don't plan to trade again unless we start having problems. Will retire this summer and feel that the 28RL has all the room and accessories that we will need.
Will definitely buy a Crossroads product again if we ever get to that point.
C
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

When we bought our first travel trailer, We were real new in the market, other camping styles were tents and a home made trailer another story. We found a popular web site and followed a lot of their suggestions, It ended up costing me a lot of money.There was a thread going on at the time slaming slides. So our first unit had no slides This was the biggest mistake. We go out every three weeks all year round, rain or shine a non slide unit gets awful cramped with even two of you. It was really bad when we went to the first Texas rally and brought a guest with us and it rained big time (Keith still blames Hoover)
Thus we traded for our present unit. I would guess that most folks just have purchased the wrong unit for them, or their family size has changed

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

1973 13 ft serro scotty till 1983,then coachmen pu camper, then,we had a 84 bigfoot tt till 2002,longest we every had one,then we retired and bought a coleman pu ,didnt like so traded for a gulf stream ameri-lite 2002,took it west and the walls came loose the floor fell down and it just wore out,traded for a roadrunner(2007) before we got home didnot like ittraded for a laredo (2007)took it out west had 3 of 4 bct(china) tires blow,tore bottom out of camper(fixed by insurance co.) traded for 2011 crossroads. each time we went larger like previous mention, hope this will be like the bigfoot and last

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

oh for the record the CF345RF is actually almost 4 ft shorter than our current 5er.... the wifereally likes the Cruiser especially the way it is all painted up and has real nice interior finish's and hard surface counters, fireplace, leather etc etc....

I was sold when I seen it was almost 4 ft shorter !

Gas stations are going to be sooooo much easier ........................LMAO.....!

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

I know many of you have the 5th wheel and they have some features we like, but own a TT, as my wife cannot do steps. The steps getting into the TT is a problem but once in no more steps. We are in our early 70's and she is a bit over weight and has bad knee's one has been replaced and the other needs it done, but she is holding off as long as possible. Rehab is tough, and replacement does not always fix the problem. When we were younger we builded a house with garage and washer/drier in basement, and now that is a major problem for her. She must go out the front door, but there is 2 steps and walk around the house. My point is think about your older years and hope you do not end up like us as the steps in the 5th wheels can be a problem. On some models you cannot go to the bathroom without going up steps. Not trying to be a SA but we did not think ahead.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Hey Robbie the new Front Livingroom models have the bedroom and the bathroom on the same level with a couple steps up to get into the livingroom. You can see the TV and socialize from the kitchen area so that might be an option.

My parents got rid of their 5er last summer and opted for an older park model that is all on the same level. The stairs into the trailer are the only stairs, of course they now have to stay put in their campground and cannot leave for a weekendas they could with the 5er.

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel