Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
New Camper

Wind blowing water in windows.

Our first trip in our new to us 2013 Sunset Trail 30RE was a true test. Hitching up and heading across the province we knew the forecast was for rain and some wind but figured we just had to get level, plug in electric and water and we would be good until the weather cleared. We never anticipated what can only be described as a hurricane! We couldn't get the trailer level because it was rocking so bad in the wind the bubbles in the level wouldn't stay still. The wheel chocks that we pounded in with a rubber mallet where blown away by the wind and we sank two inches on one side throughout the night. But the worst part was the water that was literally pouring in through the bottoms of the windows. The wind was pushing water in through the drainage holes on the bottom of the windows. As the water accumulated it looked like it was boiling as the wind pushed more water and air through the holes and didn't allow any to drain out. Since we were not level it ran to the low side and poured over the lip. This was not what we had wanted our first night to be like...frustrated and full of regret. Thankfully we awoke to sun and birds chirping and we were able to properly level the trailer. We did get more rain a couple nights later but it came straight down with no wind and not a drop inside. We truly love the trailer and after a rough start it was a relaxing trip. I know the conditions were just about the worst you could ask for next to a tornado and had I known we would have cancelled that night. Has anyone ever had this happen? Are there plugs or some sort of way of keeping the water for coming in when the wind blows? Is the remedy to be perfectly level? I am worried about the times it is stored between camping trips and we can't be there to see any damage. Thanks for any suggestions.
Scott
Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Glad the trip turned better for you. Not sure if leveling would have helped in that storm. If it was strong enough to blow the chalkss away, that's some serious wind.
I'm a fair weather camper, not worth the hassle of a 3 day weekend trip. But eventually once we make some longer trips, I'm sure I'll gain experience.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

That will be great memories of camping. Went through the same type storm in Montana years ago. We were in a our camper. Rocking back and forth for three days. We decided to upgrade to a trailer after going thru that storm.
I bought some rubber door seal chalking with the sticky back, at the local Ace store. Cut small pieces the fit the weep holes.
Gary
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We purchased a used camper in 2012 and had the same experience. The PO had the camper sitting under a covered metal storage that was open on the sides. We found that mud daubers had stopped up the outside channels and instead of draining out it poured over the lip inside. We tried to run a stiff wire up into the channel but eventually ended up having to remove the rubber seals to clean everything. I also ordered new rubber seals to replace because once the old ones dry out it's difficult to replace once you take them out. When you store a camper outside especially if it's sitting under a covered area it's a perfect environment for mud daubers to nest and build there mud tunnels. After I removed the seals and cleaned out the channels it all worked as suppose to. Check it out and let us know.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

@Islandcamper: Look on the bright side. The trailer stayed upright. LOL
Yes, we've had situations like that. The only thing that saved us one time was we were parked between two huge diesel pushers. Otherwise we would have probably been flipped over.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for the tips, advice and encouragement. There is a learning curve to most things and moving up from a tent trailer, which we had down to a science, it feels like going back to the starting line. But it's all part of the adventure. Next trip is planned for July, so I'm looking forward to another life lesson in patience, relaxation and letting all the worries of everyday life fade away.