Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Would appreciate your toughts. I managed to catch one of the chair arms when I was extending the slide. Before I saw it, the chair pushed back against the stationary wall next to the slide and popped loose the solid window valance that extends down the side of the window. The two bracket screws in the bottom of the valance pulled out of the wall with wall boarding fragments in the threads, the two screws that secured the top of the side valance to the valance over the top of the window came out clean. I was thinking of just using velcro strips to replace the screws in case I do the same thing again in the future, but thought I'd take direction from the experts. Any thoughts?

Tim

2011 Zinger 2011 RL27

2004 F150
timnbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

While you've given a pretty good description of the damage, a few pictures of it would go a long way to answering your query. That said, I'm not so sure that velcro would be a good replacement for the screws that were pulled.
We've had a similar mishap with the chairs and the slide and left a big dimple in the aluminum skin of the slide and kind of bent the chair a bit.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I have never posted a pic but here goes, this is the wall where the base of valance was secured - you can see the two holes. The top was secured with screws inside the the valance over the window.

2011 Zinger 2011 RL27

2004 F150
Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

My first impression would be just go back with screws. If there is nothing behind the wall board then maybe one size larger screw would do it. Or, plastic inserts or mollybolts.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
New Camper

I have knocked the bottombracketsthat holds the curtain loose ona few of my curtains and what I did was buy an oak board 1/4" X 2" X 2 feet.Stain itso it matches woodwork.Cut pieces 3" long & glue them to the wall where the bracket goes. That way it gives yousomething solid to screw the bracket to and it is solid, plus it matches the rest of the wood in your camper.My husband is a woodworker so we had pieces around the house but you can buy this size atLowes I believe. It makes more sturdywith this setup.
tennlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have re-secured the valance and am back off to the races again, or at least the slow lane of the freeway. I used plastic inserts and larger screws in the wall brackets and just larger screws above where it tied into the overhead valance.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Tim

2011 Zinger 2011 RL27

2004 F150