Old 10-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

winter living

I recently bought a 3 rl and it is the nicest fifth wheel ive ever owned. This winter me and my wife have decided to live in it in northern british columbia. It get as cold as 70 below cecius so here is what i have done to prevent freeze up. My rv is skirted and inside skirting ive put 2 inch styrofoam insulation. I have also purchased a tsomi deisel heater for underneath that puts out up to 23 thousand btu. I put heat pads on my propane tanks and put reflective insulation on outside of all windows. I have heat tapes on water supply and sewer line. If anybody has any other good ideas i would like to hear them . I also have 5500 watt generator as back up power. I know if i do this right it can be done.

Al and shannon
dozerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
Site Team

Cross Road's RVs are not designed or intended to be used for four season camping/use.
In my opinion, you are asking for a ton of trouble.

Hate to be a wet blanket on your plans, but that is the truth of the matter.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I have lived and worked in the north most of i life ive watched men live in there rvs in the coldest winters so i know it can be done and when im getting payed 150 a day tax free to do it i think cant be done isnt an option. It just takes planning and a little investment. If any guys in the oil patch in alberta or bc have any good suggestions please let me know . If it costs money not an issue just need good ideas.

Allen

2014 Dodge deisel dually
2014 Redwood 38rl
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

The redwood is a four season rv guaranteed by redwood itself. I have it insured for year round living.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
New Camper

I am an RV dealer in southern Ontario. We carry Rushmore. To the best of my knowledge, a "four season" RV is not designed for the temps you are going to encounter. Sounds like you have a lot in place to stop you from freezing up but the major issue that you will encounter is condensation. These units are not built with a high enough "R" value to keep the interior of the ceiling and walls warm. What happens then is "warm air meeting a cold surface". This is the recipe for condensation.
Because there is no vapour barrier in the walls, it can occur anywhere from the inner surface, through and including the insulation and outward to the outer wall. You may have everything from water droplets to icicles forming on interior surfaces to exterior surfaces.
I know that Redwood promotes a 4 season unit, supposedly good to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. At these temperatures or below, the previous writer was correct. You are asking for trouble. A good RV salesman should have had knowledge of this.
If and when the temperatures are not so severe, all should be fine. I wish you well.
porscheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
New Camper

Further to above then ... If you are doing this, you need to keep the air as dry as possible. I am not an expert. Just trying to think logically.
Perhaps you should purchase one or two dehumidifiers and a couple of fans to keep the air moving around the rooms and windows. This should minimize the condensation by moving the dry air generated by the forced air system around the room to evaporate or "soak up" the moisture that might cause the problems.
I am trying to think of other things to do but for now this could be a start.
It must be cold there already. How cold is it getting at night now?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
Site Team

Have you considered a mobile home instead? They aren't the greatest thing in the world either, but one of those would be "way" better then any RV that you could find.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Condesation shouldnt be a problem i have dehumidifiers in place and humidity readers in every room. where we live its very dry also not like ontario winters. My sales man did tell me pros and cons but watching and talking to the men who have been doing it for year with no problem im cofident it will be fine and if not nothing money cant fix lol
Old 10-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
New Camper

Actually, any mobile home would have the same issues unless designed and built for extreme temps.
Problems on those stem from not enough ventilation (air movement) in the "attic" space as well as not enough R value in the ceilings and walls.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
New Camper

Okay,
Last thing is my suggestion for a fan or two around the windows.
Wish you and you wife a very good and safe winter :-).