Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Winterization in the deep south?

I've read all the winterization threads and am wondering what all the folks in the deep south do.

Were I live, we often count the number of freezes in a year on two hands. It may dip into the mid to low 20's once or twice a year. A couple of years ago, it only dipped below 32 five or fewer times. If it does freeze, the duration rarely exceeds 10 hours.

If I drain all low water points, empty water faucets, and the hot water tank, shouldn't my risk be minimal, even if temps dip into the 20's?

Winter down here also presents some great camping weather, and we have plenty of 45 low-65 degree high days, so I'd also like to consider a quick turnaround. Given this, I'd like to avoid anti-freeze if prudent. Adding this to drained lines seems like overkill given my climate.

What would you do?
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

my advice is to take the camper to your local dealer and have them show you how to winterize it, using air pressure to blow aout the lines and draining the hot water tank, or go online and google "winterizing".
If I try to tell you how, I am sure I will miss a step. you are on the right track...blowing out the lines with about 30-40 psi will help. don't forget to turn the hot water heater by pass valve to by pass position..if not, water will be trapped over it and it may break, as mine did.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

don't forget to add a bit of pink into all the traps and a bit into the toilet and keep a bit in the bowl to keep seal moist. while blowing with low pressure...take screen washer off city water intake and push in white check valve to get rid of water in there(stand back when doing this)...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Here in NC we get into the 20's and 30's. We winterize using the pink stuff. It is easy and cheap. It typically takes a little under 2 gallons of rv antifreeze and 30 min of time to get it done. If we want to camp in it, we bring two more jugs of it a d just redo it. Alternatively, save your jugs and catch it coming out to reuse after the trip. You have to be careful with this method as you can dilute it with water and risk a freeze but I know people who have done this.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:36 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

doesn't matter WHERE you are, it's what the temps will be, for how long, and what the exposure is for your rv...

I thought I was safe too, until the icemaker line and shower controls froze - while AT the dealer in Dallas who said he winterized - wish they had done what they said !

Walmart has the pink stuff for $3 or $4 a gallon...
it takes 15 minutes or so to winterize and you can still camp in it...
they say it's drinkable, but we just use bottled water...

your coach, your decision - good luck
Old 11-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We live in Mississippi, All I do is turnoff the AC, and drain the lines, Ifbelow freezing for more than 24 hours, I will blow out the lines start with the hot eater in the bath open the faucet and blow it out than the kitchen than the same with the cold water. Have the bride or some else hold down the valve on the toliet put pink stuff in the p traps. drain the hot water heater. Most of the time I just drain the lines and add the pink to the p traps. Some folks that keep theirs at home just put a electric heater in the unit and open the cabinet doors
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

In the real deep south, a bottle of Rum on the counter should do it

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Smile winterization in deep South

Having lived in north central & north Florida as well as working/living in Ga South of Macon for more than 15 years I never winterized my rv. Maybe just lucky but nothing ever froze except my water hose from the stand pipe to the trailer. Qualifying that that statement temps never got below 15-18 degs for a max of 10-12 hours.
I did take the following precautions: insulated my hose with styerfoam insulation from stand pipe to trailer, kept the water at a slow trickle & left my gray valve open so that it flowed & kept my furnace on w/heat running at night. Only time I drained lines was if rv was unoccupied for a day or two but kept my thermostat set at 55-60 deg.
Again we never incurred severe cold & if we were away for more than 24 hrs had a neighbor keep an eye on temps.
This is not to say we didn't take chances but only had the hose freeze once before we installed the styrefoam insulation.
Did notice that most replies were from NC & north which we would have taken more severe steps if we had been much further north.
Again we were lucky & are gamblers. Just my HO.

Good luck
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Winterizing in the south: Take out the Crocs, add boots. Remove 1/2 the shorts and short sleeve shirts, replace with jeans and long sleeve. Note only replace 1/2, there will still be hot days. Put in a light jacket. Done.

Seriously though: I open all faucets(including outside shower and washer hookups), then the low point drains, and pull the plug from the HW heater. I put an electric heater in the main part set to keep it above 40 deg and open all the cabinets under the sink and in the area of the HW heater and water pump including the bathroom. If going to be protracted cold I add a 60w bulb in the basement area.

Also put all slides in for less area to heat and less area to loose heat.

Maybe just lucky but have never had a problem.

For those up north I see all the instructions but never see mention of the battery. If in storage it needs to be removed and kept on a trickle charger at the house.

Takes about 10 min to do and the same to undo and go camping.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Well, if you are living in it or heating it, then you may not need to winterize because ASSume you may want some heat for your body

I suspect most of us that are talking about winterizing are those that have rv in storage... or at least not in use without heat...
Old 11-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

winterization in deep South

JB II you are correct but I failed to mention that I worked a 3 on 4 off schedule(when the co first proposed it my reply was "Do anything but don't throw me in the Briar Patch!") & if you know the quote you are telling your age! Any way it was left for almost a week at a time . We keep stored now during most of the winter but have power, water, etc so still follow same process. We are lucky to still live in deep South.

Thanks
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Many thanks for the replies. Funny about the jeans and long sleeves-that's my winter wardrobe.

So if I do use antifreeze, just drain it out, hook up the water, and run faucets until all clear? I may use it if we have a hard freeze-mid 20's for 5 to 10 hours.
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
Many thanks for the replies. Funny about the jeans and long sleeves-that's my winter wardrobe.

So if I do use antifreeze, just drain it out, hook up the water, and run faucets until all clear? I may use it if we have a hard freeze-mid 20's for 5 to 10 hours.
This is correct

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Well, if you are living in it or heating it, then you may not need to winterize because ASSume you may want some heat for your body

I suspect most of us that are talking about winterizing are those that have rv in storage... or at least not in use without heat...
Mine sits at my house when not camping. It has a carport cover and all utilities available and usually hooked up. It's a spare bedroom, if needed, and a man-cave when things get frosty in the house.

Your situation may be different.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Remember use the RV anti Freeze not the automotive stuff
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #16
Site Team

There has been mention of the battery/batteries needing to be removed for winter storage.
This isn't necessarily true.
My batteries stay in the trailer year around.
I use a battery minder on them. In the fall after winterizing, I back the rig into the RV garage, unhook the batteries from the coach, hook up the battery minder, and things are safe and sound for the winter.
Battery minder does two things for me.
1 - I don't have to remove the batteries.
2 - It desulfates the batteries while attached and keeps them warm.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
Site Team

Great info Lloyd. Sounds like a project left to do before winter.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

I do same as Lloyd and have no inside storage. No problems I live in RI and it can get pretty cold. I have Trogen 6 volts and they are heavy so happy to not remove them.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote