Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
New Camper

i have a new 26bl zinger trailer what do i need to do to winterize it?
bdiachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Depends on what part of the country you live in. Down here I just open the low point drains open all of the facuets that drains the lines. This past year when it really got cold I put anti freeze in all of the drains and blew out the water lines. Mind you we go out every three weeks . Except for last January our winters are mild and if it hits 32 degrees we consider it cold. I guess where Lloyd lives he would consider that a heat wave

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Where and how do you blow when you blow out your lines?

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

there is an adapter that you screw into your city water outlet set your compressor at 20psi that will blow out the lines I open one faucet at a time this will blow out that line when done I leave all open just in case, including the out side shower. All most all RV dealers will have this adapter

Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but if you guys are asking questions as basic as this, you need to take the unit to a dealer for winterizing or get someone knowledgeable to walk you through it.

There are too many things you could miss that will cost you big money next spring to repair.

For instance, if you don't get the water out of the toilet it will freeze up and break. Same with an outside shower, water heater, pump, etc. All of the drains need to be treated for the same reason.

Not hard to do, but you must ensure EVERYTHING is done properly.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

The instructions for winterizing are right here on the Crossroads web site under the "Owners" section.

Down here I drain the lines then add RV antifreeze to the toilet bowls and all the P traps. I always drain the hot water heater after each trip so that is not an issue for me. This year I bought a blow out value from Wal-Mart for $1.49 on clearance and may use it is as well. Of course it does not usually get too cold down here in South Central Texas.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

The reason I asked such a "basic" question is because I've never winterized by blowing out the lines. I've had TT's for many years and always drain the water tank, drain the hot water heater, switch the bypass valves, put two or three gallons of antifreeze in the tank and pump it through until I see pink coming out of each faucet (both hot and cold), the showers and toilet. I let it run for a little to make sure each P-trap is full. Then I drain all the holding tanks and call it good. I've never had a problem with that process.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Kenny, I do the same as you and have never blown out the lines as well. No issues so far in any of my rigs. Personally, I am not convinced blowing out the lines alone would be good enough to get ALL the water out of say a water line that sags. Unless you live in extreme cold temperatures, AF seems to work the best for me.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Hi, these were the same questions I asked last year when I first bought my 5er. It is very simlpe if you take a few minutes to do it yourself as the dealer wants a $100. Purchase some RV antifreeze from Walmart, about 3-4 gallons. First check to be sure your low points are CLOSED. Open the panel by the hot water heater and bypass it. Drain the hot water heater from the outside, and flush if you want. Open the panel by the water pump and you should see a open hose with a 3 way valve. Turn the three way valve to the hose and put the hose in the antifreeze bottle. Turn on water pump, and open each cold faucet one at a time until pink comes out. Repeat with hot faucet and don't forget outside shower if you have one. Pour a little in each drain and toilet bowl. That's it. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Carolyn
Hi, these were the same questions I asked last year when I first bought my 5er. It is very simlpe if you take a few minutes to do it yourself as the dealer wants a $100. Purchase some RV antifreeze from Walmart, about 3-4 gallons. First check to be sure your low points are CLOSED. Open the panel by the hot water heater and bypass it. Drain the hot water heater from the outside, and flush if you want. Open the panel by the water pump and you should see a open hose with a 3 way valve. Turn the three way valve to the hose and put the hose in the antifreeze bottle. Turn on water pump, and open each cold faucet one at a time until pink comes out. Repeat with hot faucet and don't forget outside shower if you have one. Pour a little in each drain and toilet bowl. That's it. Good luck.

- x2...but thte only thing I'd add is to start at the fixture that is farthest away from the pump.

- That way, the lines are full of antifreeze, and it'll go faster.

- Good Luck!
MONTE1214 is offline   Reply With Quote