Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

The way you winterize or do not, depends on where you live. If I did not live in the south, and lived in the upper mid-west or the upper west or the north east where it gets below freezing, and stays there for days at a time I would winterize the heck out of every thing. But where we live if it get below freezing three nights in a row it is cold, How ever on those nights the day time temp will go in to the upper 30's. I guess what I am trying to say is no two area are the same, you have to do what is required in you area. It is just like the truck thread going on right now. There is no set answer

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #22
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer
Sorry!!!!! It apears I have hit a sore spot. Just want to warn new RV owners. From this post they may get the idea they do not need anti-freeze. Some do not use it and get buy. Others have tried it that way and ended up with expensive repairs. I have never had any problem with after taste from using anti-freeze.
No, I really do appreciate your input as well as the all others. I don't feel there is anything controversial about this because we all have different trailers and live in different areas of the country.

It's interesting to see how some folks winterize one way and others another way and both seem to have equal success.

Where I live probably 95% of RV owners don't even know what winterizing is. As I mentioned before it's just a pain to winterize when you are using your trailer every few weeks, so I'll probably try just draining for now. Time will tell!

Thanks again for all the replys.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #23
Family Vacation Member

I can't figure out why the "aftertaste" is an issue with the anit freeze. I sanitize my fresh water tank and lines regularly anyway. The anti freeze aftertaste is the least of my worries. I worry much more about what's "growing" in the water lines during storage.

For me the anit freeze is cheap & easy insurance against a bad suprise come spring. I used to just drain everything real well in my old trailer, worked great for a few years then one spring I had water lines broken in 3 different places Not fun. I've been using anti freeze ever since.

Last fall I was talking to a service tech at a local independent RV service shop about winterizing and asked him about blowing out the lines. He told me that they will not winterize a unit for a customer with out using anti freeze.

Anyway just my .20 (no that's not a typo, that was just too long winded for just .02)

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote