Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

As a newbie I have read many postings concerning the correct 5th wheel hitch but I'll ask again.

We have a CF31QB on order and an already purchased2009 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 8' bed Duramax for towing. A local dealer here in San Antonio has the best price using a Curt E5 16k installed hitch. What are your opinions concerning which hitch (brand, capacity, etc)? Should I invest in removable rails?

Thanks in advance.
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I don't know much about the Curt brand but it looks very much like the Husky brand. A16K hitch will be strong enough to pull your 5vr. I can't comment removeable railsother thanI don't think thatthey're necessary. My advice is to invest in a set of custom mounting brackets for the truck frameinstead of the universal mounting bracket kit. They are made to fit,are much stronger and do not move. I had a universal kit on our previous TV and they actually began to move as indicated by the wear marks on the truck frame. Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I happened into a great buy on a used Husky but were I to have bought a new hitch it would have been the Curt. For some reason you don't see the Curt brand get much attention on the forums but they look like a great value. I have spoke with their customer service dept and got better info than with other brands. They will give you very specific info on the hitch.

One thing you might consider is to go with the 20K hitch. You definitely don't need the capacity but on sites like etrailer.com it's very little more money. For some reason it just looks like a lot heftier hitch. guess it all depends on how much more the dealer wants to charge.

I went with bolt on clamp style brackets for my Dodge (can't drill the frame easily). In regards to the above post, I don't see how the Chev universal brackets could move since they are bolted directlyto the frame.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I've never heard of "curt" brand but if it's reasonably priced and easily removable then go with what fits your budget. I personally would recomend a "reese" or "towright" as the are locally everywhere should you need replacement parts. I've got a 15k quickslide and it's been very dependable.

Most units are always bolted to the frame regardless of manufacture. I believe that there are custom bracketkits for chev, dodge, and ford which allow easier installation with no modification to the brackets.

I have the CF31QB and have quite enjoyed it. It's been great to tow and plenty of room for the family. Hope you enjoy your RV!!

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
I went with bolt on clamp style brackets for my Dodge (can't drill the frame easily). In regards to the above post, I don't see how the Chev universal brackets could move since they are bolted directlyto the frame.

The universal mounting kit for the Reese that can be used on any tow vehicle, consists of four "L" brackets. Each individual bracket is bolted to the frame with two bolts. Shims may be required to ensure that the top holes on the brackets will line up with the hitch rail holes. You now have four individual brackets to connect to the hitch rails and there isn't any kind of triangulation structure between the brackets to prevent their front/back movement from normal everyday towing.

The custom brackets are a one pieceunit for each frame rail that has inherent triangulation by the nature of its design.Because they are made specifically for whatever tow vehicle you own, they have tighter tolerances. This ensures a more secure support for the hitch rails, which inturn eliminates front and back movement of the brackets. If movement occurs on a custom bracket, it will be bent. I, for one, would not want to be involved in an incident that would bend those brackets.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 07-31-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

The B&W turnover ball with compainion is a nice setup. Easy to remove andgives a nice clean bed. You get the option of pulling a gooseneck trailer if ever needed also.

2006 GMC 2500HD CC D/A LBZ

Sold 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 8.1 3.73

B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion
jgerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:50 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

As far as witch hitch you choose I don't think there is a bad one out there. But I have to agree with George (hamops) on the custom brackets. This being my first 5er I was nervous about the bolts coming loose. After rechecking the torque several times the first year I'm confident they are not coming loose and there is no movement at all. The custom brackets simply have less parts, 1 plate and 4 bolts per frame rail. And there is no drilling required to mount them.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I've sold and installed every brand of hitch you could imagine. We regularly stock the Curt E5 and Q5 models and are thoroughly pleased with the product. You will be satisfied.

I don't recommend removable rails as they tend to be noisier, rust more quickly, and be much more of a hassle than the standard rail designs.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I have ordered a Curt 20k hitch with custom brackets. The Curt has a 10 year warranty and looks very well made. It is to be installed on Wednesday. 20k is overkill for this coach but the construction is very sturdy and gives me extra peace of mind.
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
Quote:

The universal mounting kit for the Reese that can be used on any tow vehicle, consists of four "L" brackets. Each individual bracket is bolted to the frame with two bolts. Shims may be required to ensure that the top holes on the brackets will line up with the hitch rail holes. You now have four individual brackets to connect to the hitch rails and there isn't any kind of triangulation structure between the brackets to prevent their front/back movement from normal everyday towing.

The custom brackets are a one pieceunit for each frame rail that has inherent triangulation by the nature of its design.Because they are made specifically for whatever tow vehicle you own, they have tighter tolerances. This ensures a more secure support for the hitch rails, which inturn eliminates front and back movement of the brackets. If movement occurs on a custom bracket, it will be bent. I, for one, would not want to be involved in an incident that would bend those brackets.
Yes, all of your reasons for custom brackets is why I used them for my truck and have been pleased. Plus it was my first 5th wheel hitch installation and I wasn't crazy about doing all that drilling while lying under my truck. The extra cost was definitely worth it, but it still takes a bunch of time to make sure everything lines up correctly.

I got to say I'm still a little confused as as to how your universal brackets are moving. If you have 2 bolts in the vertical arm of the L brackets, top and bottom holes bolted to your frame, how do they shift forward/backward? Just interested.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo
I have ordered a Curt 20k hitch with custom brackets. The Curt has a 10 year warranty and looks very well made. It is to be installed on Wednesday. 20k is overkill for this coach but the construction is very sturdy and gives me extra peace of mind.
You made a grate choice! Let us know how it looks.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:

Yes, all of your reasons for custom brackets is why I used them for my truck and have been pleased. Plus it was my first 5th wheel hitch installation and I wasn't crazy about doing all that drilling while lying under my truck. The extra cost was definitely worth it, but it still takes a bunch of time to make sure everything lines up correctly.

I got to say I'm still a little confused as as to how your universal brackets are moving. If you have 2 bolts in the vertical arm of the L brackets, top and bottom holes bolted to your frame, how do they shift forward/backward? Just interested.

I discovered this when I had the hitch removed from our '03 Silverado. I don't actually know why or how the brackets moved but I suspect that because holes had to be drilled into the truck frame rails, they may have been a little big. Even though the bolts were torqued to the required torque setting, its possible with the truck frame flexing etc. things came loose. The movement wasn't much, but it was evident on the truck frame and the brackets as wear marks.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 08-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
Quote:

The custom brackets are a one pieceunit for each frame rail that has inherent triangulation by the nature of its design.Because they are made specifically for whatever tow vehicle you own, they have tighter tolerances. This ensures a more secure support for the hitch rails, which inturn eliminates front and back movement of the brackets. If movement occurs on a custom bracket, it will be bent. I, for one, would not want to be involved in an incident that would bend those brackets.

I understand and I'll bet the holes were drilled a little large. I really felt like an installation like you had, using the universal brackets, would be a little stronger.

My clamp on custom brackets should not go anywhere but it just seems it would be almost impossible for the universal brackets to move if installed correctly.

Since my Dodge tubular frame would have meant a lot of drilling and fishing bolts through the frame, I just couldn't get excited about that installation.