Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Back again to ask a question, 2 years ago we had a problem and paid 3000.00 to have it fixed, axles, shackles, springs or whatever it was, Tires have been good since until yesterday we see the back tire on the drivers side is all worn off,almost down to the threads, all other three are still in good shape. What shop should we be looking for Axle-spring or tire shop. I am afrtaid of making the same mistake as last time and going to the wrong shop to get it looked at. Is there anyone here that can tell me what you think the problem is, so that whenwe are at the shop we kind of know what he is talking about. We are in Acton California and heading into Palm Springs on Tues, is there any recommendations as to where to take the rig. Hoping it is not a bent axle. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I've bought all of my tires from Mike's Tire on Soledad Road in Canyon Country (across from Home Depot). Good prices, service, and their alignment dept is top notch.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Yes thank you, we are close to Soledad canyon and will go there today.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

It could be just that the tire was about ready to fail. I had a tire do exactly the same when replaced the rest of the trip was fine. However, before putting new tires on I did have the axles aligned .. good ever since.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

THanks. Went out today to Mikes and the company looks good the the guy was very accomodating. But I don't think I could ever get in there with my rig, there just did not seem to have the room to move. Now I have to ask to get the axles aligned to we need to go to a frame shop, we call them axles and frame shops or do we need an RV repair shop. Sorry to be so stupid but the last time I went to the Tire shop I must have had my problem and they did not notice it. I hate the idea of putting on a new tire just to have the same issue 2 months down the road and a 3000.00 bill. Thanks for the info. We will be going to Palm Springs on Tues any recomendation of a shop there.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

From your first post, if I understand it correctly, is the tire had the extreme tire wear was on one leg of a trip and the other tires are fine. I would guess the alignment would still be fine. You spent big bucks to have them fixed unless you have hit curbs and big pot holes (I know there is a lot of them here in CA) they do not move. If it were me I would get a replacement tire and head off to the big city. If you get into a bigger city look for truck alignment shop with an outdoor rack. With the recent trend of tire failures I would look there first,
Old 11-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I had a bad tire on my rig which wore much faster than the others. I initially thought it was an axle alignment issue but after replacing all the tires they are all wearing fine after 15K miles.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Yes I did the grease job before we left home,checked all the presure in thetires and did not see the wear on that tire, Came down I- 5 crossed over on I- 58 roads were good. So I will say it only happened on this one leg of the journey and the other three look fine. Thanks for the Truck shop info,will look for that for sure, and will be travelling down hwh 138 so will take it slow. Thanks all
Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Very similar problem with our 2011 CF-335, it's at the dealership now for repairs. While on a trip to NC this summer I noticed the outside edge of the rear tire on the passenger side worn down to the wear bar and a noticable pattern on the front tire. According to the dealer, the equalizer bracket is bent and quite possibly the axle. After two months of taking measurements,pictures andtalkingCrossroads has agreed to replace both axles, equalizer brackets and two tires. Now we just have to wait for shipment and installation, hope to get it back sometime in January.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Keep in mind these trailer tires are made very poorly, it could be just a bad tire. If the one on the other end of the axel is fine it kind of makes me wonder if it is just the tire. Like geondebi said I think I would jsut replace the one tire and see what happens. May (or may not) save you from spending big bucks again.

Flyone