Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > General RV Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
New Camper

Your opinion on the sunset trail 270BH and first time purchase

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum. My wife and I are looking into purchasing our first travel trailer. We been going back and forth between jayco and crossroads. I think we both have decided to go with a 2017 sunset trail 270BH. What's your experience with this make and model? Pros and cons?.....i live in southern California and there's a huge ounce a year rv show coming up in about 4 months. Is there that great of deals at the shows? Is it worth waiting? Thank you in advance.

Info: myself and wife with 3 kids (14yrs, 6 yrs, 2 yrs). Pulling with 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 I can tow 9400lbs. Looking to do local trips nothing crazy. Start off small camping wise. Most likely camping with hook ups
Socalcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalcamper View Post
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum. My wife and I are looking into purchasing our first travel trailer. We been going back and forth between jayco and crossroads. I think we both have decided to go with a 2017 sunset trail 270BH. What's your experience with this make and model? Pros and cons?.....i live in southern California and there's a huge ounce a year rv show coming up in about 4 months. Is there that great of deals at the shows? Is it worth waiting? Thank you in advance.

Info: myself and wife with 3 kids (14yrs, 6 yrs, 2 yrs). Pulling with 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 I can tow 9400lbs. Looking to do local trips nothing crazy. Start off small camping wise. Most likely camping with hook ups
Welcome. We really like our crossroads 211rd. It wouldn't be big enough for your family, but the weight vs space is good and it's reasonably well made. They all need something sometimes. I know jayco owners equally pleased.
I tow with a 1500 chevy longbed and stay below 6000 lbs trailer and truck bed load. Less if going very far. 2/3 capacity seems easier on the truck and the driver.
I'd get going asap, don't wait 4 months. When we decided to get our first, the sales guy lead us to the gently used line. He said we would use the first one long enough to figure out what we really wanted, then come back and trade it in without losing too much. I considered it good advice for us. We found out we love trailer camping. I hope you all do too. Happy Trails

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T537A using Tapatalk
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

We have a 5th wheel, currently on the third one. Its true you need to make your best guess on whatever it is and use then it to figure out what you actually need.

Any of them can be wonderful or horrible. Your best defense is a VERY thorough walk through. If it doesn't take well over an hour you're not doing it right. Don't let them rush you and try everything a couple of times until you are sure it works and you understand it. Find a checklist online to follow and if there are too many problems move to another unit. Remember you are doing them a favor, not the other way around so whatever you say, goes.

As well as pre-educating yourself on systems and potential problems for the walk through, have a good idea of pricing before you start the haggle. This is really important at a show so you can recognize a good or bad deal. Don't get stampeded. In short, the more you study before hand, the better you will do on the test.

If you check it out well, most any unit will be fine but I think every last one has a problem or two that you have to catch before you hand them the money.

Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalcamper View Post

Welcome aboard! Well, I have a 2016 270BH (purchased it in 2015). We have camped 2 full years starting our 3rd! We have loved it so far! I drive a 2017 Ram 1500 and it is a perfect weight because although they can tow "10,000lbs" Check your Payload...

I digress. The camper has worked perfect for me my wife and my 9 yr old. I snore when I have a few beers, so I actually sleep on the lower bunk, but that front bedroom matress is very comfy! Bathroom was one of the larger in this size and it works pretty well. We initially had some issues with the rubber sliding shower curtain/door. But it has since been fixed. Wish that were just a glass door. Also had some issues with the ourdoor kitchen leaking into the storage area under the bunks. when you pull out the sink and push it back in, check your water connections. Ours leaked off and on the whole first season, nothing major and didn't do any damage but it was an annoyance. warranty covered it and it has been fixed, but I still check regularly just in case.

Good luck and happy camping!
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote