Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
New Camper

Can anyone tell me who I call to take a tire off my cruiser by crossroads travel trailer (it's in my driveway)? Apparently, someone must have hit the air valve with a plow because the valve is partially torn off. I was able to duck tape it and it is holding air, but I do not want to tow it anywhere.

Please help with any ideas? I have AAA and the insurance I have provides for roadside assistance.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

why can't you take it off yourself ? I use a set of plastic ramps from Walmart that are weightrated and pull(or back) the set of wheels up on that don't need changed. The wheels will lift right up off the ground.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Any towing service will be happy to remove the tire for a fee. Don't know if AAA covers RVs with their roadside assistance, but I'm guessing not. You can call them to confirm

Senor Cook's recommendation is a good one. I'm not mechanically inclined but the tires are pretty easy to remove.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

It sounds like you have rubber valve stems. I would replace all with metal stems.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

AAA will not cover an RV unless the RV coverage has been added. We found that out when we had an issue with our truck when getting the trailer serviced and had a breakdown. Luckily we were able to get the truck fixed or we would have had to leave the trailer where it was at, which would have not been a good idea.

If you have someone change it for you, only allow them to put a jack (if they use a jack and not car/pickup truck ramps) under the spring perches. If you put a jack under a trailer axle you take the chance of ruining it. A very very good chance.

The ramps are only 20 some dollars at Walmart if I remember correctly. After changing a tire on our old Salem on the side of the rode, I never go anywhere without them when the trailer is behind the truck.Edited by: drcook

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We have joined the Sams Club, along with the discounts, they have a road side assistance program. I'm at work now and do not have the specific info at hand, but if you need I can get that for you.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote