Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
New Camper

Hello - New to Crossroads

Hi, I'm new to the Crossroads trailers. I traded in a 2014 Keystone Premier Bullet 19fb, that I absolutely loved, for a 2019 Sunset Trail 253rb that has had more issues than I care to think about. So, unfortunately, I'm not yet a Happy Camper this time around.
silleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum from NC. What issues do you have?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
New Camper

Unhappy Trailer Issues

Thank you for the welcome.
Here are the issues that I have had, so far...
1) Shower leak all around the base of the shower door (not sealed properly)
2) Gas line to outdoor cooktop too short and kinked - unusable as delivered
3) Hydraulic lift on underbed storage too weak - stopped working as soon as bed was made up
4) Outdoor kitchen door latches all broken - stopped working after 2 or 3 uses
5) Top of nightstand broken
6) Water leak under kitchen sink - bad fitting, had to be replaced - took 3 trips to the service dept. to get fixed
7) Awning arm catching and not allowing awning to open at one side without manual assistance

I "upgraded" to this larger trailer because I was going to be relocating for work for 2 years and wanted something that would be a little more comfortable semi-permanently. Since relocating on Jan 2nd, this unit has been in the service dept. 5 times in order to deal with these issues.

The latest issue is the furnace stopped working 2 1/2 weeks ago. It went into the shop and was thought to have been fixed, but it only worked once. This is still ongoing.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
New Camper

I have a 2018 253RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silleme View Post
3) Hydraulic lift on underbed storage too weak - stopped working as soon as bed was made up
6) Water leak under kitchen sink - bad fitting, had to be replaced - took 3 trips to the service dept. to get fixed
7) Awning arm catching and not allowing awning to open at one side without manual assistance
With our I saw one of the same issues, such as the leaking around the bottom of the shower which drove me crazy until I caulked it all, inside and out.

Otherwise everything else you mention we have not seen with ours. Sometimes I really think it is hit or miss. For example on our previous camper a 2016 Forest River RPod, we had a leak in the roof, a bathroom door that delaminated in the first 60 days. And an issue where they installed the bathroom cabinet pinching the water lines to the black tank flush closed between the cabinet and the wall, which required a full bathroom disassemble and re-install by the dealer.

I think it is hit or miss depending on the day of the week that your unit comes off the assembly line. You don’t want a unit that came off on a Friday afternoon!
jweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #6
New Camper

I’m picking up my trailer this weekend. What do you mean it leaked? If I turn the shower on and run it for a few minutes will it be noticeable
Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
New Camper

If they didn't seal around the bottom of the shower door, you will probably notice leaking onto the bathroom floor.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweiss View Post
With our I saw one of the same issues, such as the leaking around the bottom of the shower which drove me crazy until I caulked it all, inside and out.

Otherwise everything else you mention we have not seen with ours. Sometimes I really think it is hit or miss. For example on our previous camper a 2016 Forest River RPod, we had a leak in the roof, a bathroom door that delaminated in the first 60 days. And an issue where they installed the bathroom cabinet pinching the water lines to the black tank flush closed between the cabinet and the wall, which required a full bathroom disassemble and re-install by the dealer.

I think it is hit or miss depending on the day of the week that your unit comes off the assembly line. You don’t want a unit that came off on a Friday afternoon!
jweiss, thanks for the reply. That's exactly what the dealer did was caulk all the way around the shower, including the bottom of the door. And I have actually been saying that I think mine was built on a Monday after super bowl.
After I posted this, my furnace went out and it, apparently, was the main control board. It wouldn't ignite the burner. And as I write this I'm waiting on the cooling unit for my refrigerator, which went out on Wednesday.
I'm kind of beyond frustrated. But, I guess if I can hang in there I'll eventually have a truly brand new trailer ��.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
New Camper

Maybe you can help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweiss View Post

Does anyone know what this vent is for in the bathroom on 2019 Crossroads Sunset Trail 253rb?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190326_050257.jpg (136.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190326_050324.jpg (391.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190326_050244.jpg (134.4 KB, 8 views)
silleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
Site Team

Probably heat duct. If you turn on the furnace does any thing come out?
dagst1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

silleme
Welcome to the forum...Sorry to hear your not having good luck so far with the new camper...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I have one on mine, it goes directly into the outside kitchen right behind the refrigerator. I guess it allows air to circulate when the outside kitchen door is closed with the refrigerator running. Not exactly sure.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
Site Team

That makes sense the refrigerator would need air circulation to cool properly.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

It is a pass through vent to the outdoor kitchen refrigerator. That refrigerator is 110AC and generates heat when running. That vent keeps the compartment cooler. It also lets heat pass through to semi heat the compartment in the winter.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #15
New Camper

That's what I assumed when I was purchasing the trailer. But no, nothing comes out of it and there is another vent cover just like it on the other side of the wall, in the outdoor kitchen. Makes absolutely no sense to me, which is why I was asking.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:29 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

It is a vent to the outdoor kitchen. My suggestion is to pop it off and put a piece of screen in there then put it back together to keep bugs from entering your camper when the outdoor kitchen door is open.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
That's what I assumed when I was purchasing the trailer. But no, nothing comes out of it and there is another vent cover just like it on the other side of the wall, in the outdoor kitchen. Makes absolutely no sense to me, which is why I was asking.
You wont feel anything come out of it. It is simply a pass through vent. If you were to take it iff as well as the one in the outdoor kitchen, you woukd be sble to see right through. At least that's what mine is.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #18
New Camper

Thanks so much for all the great information. That all makes sense. Too bad they didn't put that vent on the side of the refrigerator into the belly of the trailer and install an actual heating/cooling vent into the bathroom. That would have made the bathroom much more comfortable.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:22 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome.

I "upgraded" to this larger trailer because I was going to be relocating for work for 2 years and wanted something that would be a little more comfortable semi-permanently. Since relocating on Jan 2nd, this unit has been in the service dept. 5 times in order to deal with these issues.

The latest issue is the furnace stopped working 2 1/2 weeks ago. It went into the shop and was thought to have been fixed, but it only worked once. This is still ongoing.

Hey, Old post, but, I was looking for a service manual for my 2108 253RB, found this post, & was reminded of all the problems I had with mine. (I bought it last Fall, already 3 years old, & still have a shocking number of issues.)

I also had your shower door leak, I pulled my doors out, cleaned everything up, & reinstalled all the rails & guides by "glueing" them in with translucent Alex2. No issues there now.

My outdoor kitchen latches were all loose, tightening the nuts that held them in place(after properly aligning the latches in their holes) fixed that issue.

My awning arm was also catching, can't remember what I did with that, but, it is working fine now.

I also had the electric element in my water heater was working intermitently, found a loose wire at the circuit breaker, good now.

Propane sensor was working intermitently, a wire was not properly inserted into the crimp connector. ( Seems to be a lot of shoddy wiring stuff with these units.)

Loose wiring to the Awning lights, the LEDs on the front(The strip at the top) are peeling off, (glued on, it appears) as well as a bunch of them are burned out, or whatever, haven't looked at that yet.

A cabinet door in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom had the hinge screws pulled out of the "wood" frame.

The worst thing I found, was that the "heating vent" in the bathroom was not hooked up to anything at all. It was just cut into the wall space between 2 studs, & had no heat source connected to it at all! I had quite a time drilling the required holes to route another duct from the furnace, through the kitchen/outsidekitchen wall, behind the slide out cooktop, & through the wall into the bathroom.

Sure there are other issues I have forgotten about, but the ones I remember were all discovered in less that a month of using this camper, pretty sure a few more will pop up. (You likely have had a few issues since this post as well, I would be willing to bet.)

All that being said, I am wanting to add a 120V electrical plug beside the table, right above the propane sensor, and am trying to find the best place to get power from. My options are to go from the kitchen plug, up the wall, across the chase that is buit into the top of that wall, abave the bathroom door, and back down the wall to the plug. (would require building a chase above the bathroom door as well.) Problem with this aproach, is getting the wire around the black tank vent pipe, which fills the entire wall space.

Also could take power from the plug beside the couch, down through the floor, across to the length of the slide, & back up through the floor, that way seems easier, but very roundabout.

Third way, & likely easiest, is down from the breaker panel, aross the coach, & back up through the floor(inside the wall, obviously).

Anyway, the long rambling story, is to help explain why I would like to locate a "Service" manual, or whatever it is called, that will show things like the "Chase" at the top of the kitchen wall, so a person can find the best way to run new wiring without tearing everthing apart to find where it should be run. Anyone have insight on where to locate a service manual?
DannyZeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:57 PM   #20
Site Team

Unfortunately when buying a used camper you do not know how the previous owner maintained it. That is why a GOOD PDI is so important. Unless Knowing the campers condition and accepting to buy it as is you are stuck with someone else's problems.