Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
New Camper

hoping to be a Z-1 218TD owner

Hi all! I am hoping to be a Z-1 218TD owner within the next week or two. Right now I have a 2015 Rage'n 19EX toy hauler and am having some quality issues with the interior after my third trip taking it out. I have a 2013 Ford Ecoboost with tranny cooler and Airlift 1000 setup on the rear, WD hitch, and usually run it with 85-90 lbs to keep the truck level. Have not had any issues. It tows my Rage'n just fine with 50 gallons of water and my 2011 Honda Foreman in the back. I am also concerned about tongue weight with the Z-1 218TD. Does anyone tow in the mountains rougher terrain? I live in Idaho so my camping is usually in high elevations. I guess I'm just looking for a confidence booster before my purchase...
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome Dave.
I believe there are a couple other members with that model. Hopefully they will chime in here with some info.
From what I remember, they were talking pretty heavy tongue weights.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks, Lloyd. I've also heard that tongue weight can be a bigger issue on this type of toy hauler design depending on the placement of the fresh water tank. From what I've heard, this one has the tank distributed over the axles of the trailer instead of in front of the axles like on some other manufacturers. Not sure if a half ton can do the job climbing steep and windy hills.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
Site Team

What's the ratings for your Ford, do you have the tow package, and the heavy duty payload package? Makes a difference on what you can tow.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
New Camper

I do have the tow package with the exception of the 4.10 or 3.73 gear ratios. My truck has 3.31 gear ratios and class 4 hitch. I had Ford install the auxiliary trans cooler which obviously makes a huge difference.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Thanks, Lloyd. I've also heard that tongue weight can be a bigger issue on this type of toy hauler design depending on the placement of the fresh water tank. From what I've heard, this one has the tank distributed over the axles of the trailer instead of in front of the axles like on some other manufacturers. Not sure if a half ton can do the job climbing steep and windy hills.
Not just the water tank but anything you place on the tongue is going to increase the tongue weight. Someone will chime in soon with that model but there is a thread out there already if you do a search.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Dave,
Here is what I have posted concerning weights. These are 1/2 ton towable, but....that is without really throwing too much weight on the deck. I throw 2 sport quads on it, 1 sport quad and a dirt bike in bed of truck along with a generator. I also pull with a 2500 HD w/6.0 and have checked all my weights knowing i am good. Those ECO boosts are good and are really surprising what they can tow. But keep in mind that now you are going to be dealing with tongue weight. What does your hitch state is allowable for TW with a WD hitch? Let me know how I can help on these rigs, I have been playing around at local scales so I feel like a good resource for you. What is your final drive gearing on your rig? A full tank of water does take like 80lbs off the tongue weight. Go with only 1 battery and 1 propane tank if you want to go even lighter. There is a lot to play with weight wise.

Welcome to the forum!

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...info-9447.html
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I just looked up the thread and seen your gearing ratio. I don't know if I would go that route....

What is your current tongue weights and the total amount towing?
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote