Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
New Camper

Is it just me?

Hi ,I'm new to this forum and considering a Super lite Sunset trail, probably the 27 bh . All I see are negatives about these trailers, should I take them off my list ? I don't normally worry about warranty that much but the closest dealer to me is 200 miles in the Dallas / Ft Worth area . I wouldn't mind a few loose items ,seems like all trailer have them but all these slide problems make me nervous. Thanks for any input. Bob
Bobj616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Our daughter bought a new ST 270 BH last year and has had no problems with it. She is very happy with the quality of it.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Team

I think most of the slide problems you have been reading about is on trailers from a year or two back.
They were using the Schwintek, I believe the new ones have a different slide system now.

BUT, expect some problems no matter what you buy.
Good luck with your decision.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to Thieryy
Hello,

we have a 5W 270BH since august 2013 and everything is perfect since now.

So if I were you I would keep it in my list.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I've been very happy with mine, only small issues that are easily fixed. Last weekend I set up the outdoor tv, and ran the AC inside with outdoor temps in the 70's. A front went through the next day, temps dropped to the 20's. Heater worked fine, no leaks in the 40 mph winds. Tows great behind my Tundra with a Equalizer hitch
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I think most of the slide problems you have been reading about is on trailers from a year or two back.
They were using the Schwintek, I believe the new ones have a different slide system now.

BUT, expect some problems no matter what you buy.
Good luck with your decision.

Well said, and even the Schwintek issues are not on every model. We've never had a slide issue with our 2013 300BH.

You will have to set your mind that your going to have some issues. I'd recommend checking out other independent forums for ultralight travel trailers. Jayco, Forest Rivers 10 or so brands, Sprinter, etc. You notice how the floor plans are all similar? Most all make a 27BH layout.

At least in 2013, we found every brand has issues. It's how the manufacturer and dealer get you through them that makes a difference.

In the light TT market, they all get their frames, components, materials from the same couple of vendors.

If you're in the market for an ultralight travel trailer, Crossroads is the best we found for price, features and quality.

The difference for us vs our last two trailers is that Crossroads will deal with you directly when you have issues.

For instance, they have a direct 1-800 customer line you can get get broken parts and do-dads under warranty shipped straight to you without involving a trip to the dealer. That is huge for us since our dealer is 4 hours away.

Lastly, preventative maintenance is absolutely a must on these type of trailers. We had a seal that seperated and thankfully CR covered the damage and not only that, I dealt straight with CR. Dealers of course don't like that so you may run into disparaging remarks from former dealers since that cuts into their shop revenue. They gotta eat too, but who has a weekend to kill and gas $ taking in your trailer to have a towel rack replaced?

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2014 270BH and so far all is well. A few minor issues but nothing big.
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We have a 2014 and have had only minor issues... our biggest issue is the dealers service department and even that is improving! All RV's will have some issues; after all they are all driven/pulled down the road - things are going to shake loose. This is our 3rd rv and for sure the best layout and features we have had. We are looking forward to many years and memories!
2014 Cruiser Aire 30DB (Bunk house)
DavidandJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
New Camper

Thanks for the replies . Yes I have been looking at a lot of brands and they all will have some problems. My Rockwood Roo probably has had less than average but it is 10 yrs old and I am tired of the setup. Went to a show in Dallas this last weekend and it helped me eliminate a few brands that just seemed a little flimsy. When I walk into a trailer with the jacks down on concrete floors I really don't want to feel the earth move. Those are off my list. I am in no great hurry to buy ,something I can't make some sales people understand . So please keep the comments coming.Bob
Old 02-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

We purchased a 270BH TT in Oct 13 and used it in 2014. No major issues and we were discovering many standard features that were options on others. Have been very happy so far and would buy again. I was just at an RV show and I see more and more looking like ours.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I think Lloyd and Ohiomark nailed it. I have a different model and have the schwintech slide and have no issues with it thus far. Remember that people are more likely to post negative issues. There is plenty of positive here as well. Finding a good dealer is the key, with any model/manufacturer.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobj616 View Post
Hi ,I'm new to this forum and considering a Super lite Sunset trail, probably the 27 bh . All I see are negatives about these trailers, should I take them off my list ? I don't normally worry about warranty that much but the closest dealer to me is 200 miles in the Dallas / Ft Worth area . I wouldn't mind a few loose items ,seems like all trailer have them but all these slide problems make me nervous. Thanks for any input. Bob
Bob I would take it off your list. If your that concerned by what a tiny minority of owners have to say then defiantly look elseware.

If you listen to the internet your never going to buy an RV as every manufacture produces some lemons during production.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

is it just me

Bob, we have a 2014 superlite 250 rb that we ordered in late 2013. We have put approx 12-14000 mi on it since then so feel it is well broken in. We have had zero slide problems, knock on wood.
Our selling dealer is 125 miles from us & cr has been very flexible with us using local non cr dealers for the few small problems we have encountered.
Like many have said here owner attitude has a lot to do with cr's cooperation in & out of warranty.
We would not hesitate to recommend Cr Sl's. Very happy with product & factory cooperation.
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
Site Team

Look at it this way. If there are 6 negative reports on a certain camper posted here, and say they sell about 3000 a year, that's only 2% reporting bad issues with a camper. Even if you double it, it is still a small amount.
Warranty work can be provided other other rv service places other that the one from whom you purchased it. Contact Crossroads and they can give you a list of authorized service centers that may be closer to where you live. By the way, don't trust what your dealer says about only getting it serviced from where you bought it, check with Crossroads,

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

x2 Mark,

The same goes for extended warranties. Two dealerships close to my house said they would honor our Xtra Ride warranty.

I think the biggest problem people have is they correlate how often they use their trailer to how often to do the scheduled maintenance.. like a car. Trailers need TLC over the course of time, not use.

Case in point, our front cap seal basically separated in indoor storage from what I assume was the change in temps...and when we brought it home we had the gusher rainstorms and all of sudden we had a water leak issue.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
New Camper

I appreciate all the responses . The reason I asked about quality is that the first page of the light forums was almost all complaints. I have been on other forums (RVnet,Jayco,Keystone) and didn't see that many . Yes I know that the complainers are more vocal but I was curious as to why there were a larger proportion here than at other sites . I like the floorplan and the features of the Sunset Trail trailers . Please don't be offended when I ask questions.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #17
Site Team

Ask all the questions you want. No one should be offended by any question asked.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 02-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #18
Site Team

I agree with Mark, except that 6 out of 3,000 is only 0.2%.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

I have a 13 ST25RB. Front cap faded (common that year) noted under warranty, skylight leak from stress cracks with small amount bubbling on back wall out of warranty. Dealer and CR stepped up and took care of it. I don't have it back yet but will report when I do. Currently behind a big pile of snow at dealer. I couldn't get it in the driveway now if I wanted anyway due to piled snow. Find a reputable dealer you think you can trust and go for it. All manufacturers have issues.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
Site Team

And I used to teach math. How embarrassing.