Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New Member - looking for some information

Hello to the group. I recently signed up to this forum. My wife and I have been away from camping for a few years while getting the kids through college and now it is time to jump back into the camping scene.

Our plans for many years has been to purchase a nice used 5th wheel (we had travel trailers previously) for our next RV. We have found a 2012 Cruiser Patriot Provincial 335SS online and plan to go look at it this weekend. I've spoken with the owners and they inform me there are only a few cosmetic issues that need taken care of. They also state no mechanical problems with any of the systems. I plan to do a very full inspection of all systems.

I have researched this forum and also online and found there was an issue with the bedroom slides (roller placement), leaks, and how the bed attaches to the slide wall. I will investigate those issue when I see the RV.

This RV only has one AC unit. We live in the South East and I do have a concern if one AC will keep the RV cool in the summer months? This RV has the full body paint option (darker colors) so I'm assuming that will only help to increase the RV temperatures on sunny days.

What is an accurate hitch pin weight for this trailer? I've seen numbers ranging from 1940 lbs. up to 2200 lbs., I know this will depend on how much camping gear is loaded in the unit. I'm looking for the dry hitch pin weight. I can then figure in propane (60 lbs.) and estimate our gear. Does anyone have actual scaled weight?

My truck is a 96 F250 crew cab, 7.3L, manual 5 speed, 4:11 gears. Towing capacity of 12,500 lbs. I've scaled the truck with full tanks and have the axle weights, available hitch pin weight is approximately 2500 lbs. after doing the math.

Thanks in advance.
43tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's a link to the brochure for that year. http://www.uvsconsole.com/manager/ad...1999971996.pdf

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

This trailer is a bit like ours. We only have one a/c unit. We find it does a fine job on the living area but not the bedroom. Kind of like the furnace in reverse - great job in the bathroom and bedroom but not so much in the living area.

How we deal with that issue is we put a fan in the window of the bedroom (on top of the dresser). This blows the cool air in. We winter in Florida so we do this a lot of the nights. At home we do have some hot, humid days in the summer, but probably not like what you would get. Not sure how this would work for your summer weather.

One thing that bugs me about a lot of the newer trailers is that they no longer have the dresser in front of the window. Instead, the window is larger and has no place for a fan (or in our case, a cat).

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the information. The original brochure information is great and also the true picture about the HVAC functionality. I suspected that about the AC system.

Are these trailers wired for a second AC unit in the bedroom?

Mark5W - How does the F150 do pulling this trailer? I'm pretty stuck on my diesel and like the torque it has for towing in mountains we have around here.

Also, do you have auto-leveling on your unit? Looks like I see rear leveling jacks just behind the trailer tires in your photo. If so, I would be interested in learning more about what system you have on your trailer.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
Site Team

I've traveled all along the east coast down to SC. Plus, traveled over and thru some of the Blue Ridge Mountains. No problems whatsoever. I added the Roadmaster rear suspension and aftermarket slotted and drilled rotors and pads made for heavy towing. What you see in the picture is the pole of the basketball goal. I don't have a self leveling setup.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Welcome from NC. Let us know how it goes with the purchase.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We went and looked at the trailer Saturday and spent almost 2 1/2 hours checking it out. We came to the determination this was the unit for us. We plan to pick-it up next weekend. Elderly couple selling the trailer is dealing with some health issues wanted another week to get all there stuff out the trailer. I will post photos once I have sitting our driveway.

I have a Pull-rite superglide hitch in my truck. Trying to find out exactly what capture plate to purchase for the Cruiser hitch pin box? Anyone using the superglide? What capture plate do I need for the slider hitch?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I figured out the correct capture plate. If anyone is interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roto-Flex Capture plate ID.PDF (238.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Not specific to the model, but my folks do a lot of camping in their unit in the south. They only have 1 AC unit and it seems to be fine. They are on shore power everywhere, their camper is a lighter color, and they may less cubic feet than you, but only having 1 ac hasn't been a problem.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

tutor
We have friends we camp with that have the same model that you are getting ready to buy, and our camper is a 305SKP and is not much smaller than the 335SS...On some the the hottest days of the summer, even though we both have the 15,000 BTU Brisk Air AC units, they would not cool the campers down to the thermostat set temp., and would end up running all day long...As to your question of pre-wire second AC in bedroom, the answer is YES your camper should be pre-wired...In the bedroom you should see a temp sensor on one of the walls, and if you have the Dometic thermostat it should show zones on the display...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

We are official owners of 2012 Cruiser. Got it home last Saturday. This is our first 5th wheel. I was surprise how easy this pulled, easier then our 28' travel trailer. We are looking forward to many happy camping trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2819.JPG (69.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Very nice 5er, congratulations. Welcome to the forum.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #14
Site Team

Very nice. Enjoy you trips with it. We do.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Love the paint!!!!! Congratulations and enjoy the journeys ahead.

Steve
Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

tutor
Nice rig, best of luck with it...Also welcome to the forum...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote