Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

New member, picking up a Reserve RTZ31SB next week

My wife and i decided the popup was too small for the 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 big dogs, so the old 12RT popup was sold last month and we found a Reserve RTZ31SB that I am driving to pick up next weekend. Hoping to get more weekends this summer with kids being a year older and less hassle to load up and go with a TT than we had with the popup.

We did get a new truck last fall with the expectation of towing bigger this year, so I am not worried about the hitch set up or the truck, 3500 Ram diesel has plenty of juice. It will be ou first big trailer, the camper was large for popups, but still small, relatively speaking.

Couple questions for people who know the Reserve models

1) Anything to look for specific to the model during the walk though? It is a new 2015 leftover.
2) Overall on the internet there are not a ton of reviews, so any warnings for this make model that I should run to something else? They do have other options that I could jump to since I haven't seen/touched this specific one yet. It meets or exceeds all the requirements we have.
3) Any should do purchases I should make while at the dealer? Hitch I am covered on, I am likely buying a small genie once we get home for remote camping. I already have a list of generic things I need to buy just in general for larger TT camping
4) Anything must do upgrades one I get home? I am already looking at solar options. And adding some functionality I have seen here for better use of storage spaces

Thanks ahead of time! Gonna be a long 6 days till I get to depart and fetch the RV.
AbbaZabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Team

The is a PDI list in our Documents section. Good info to help you with your PDI. One important thing that is often forgotten is a surge protector.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Abba
Congrats on the new Reserve, and welcome to the forum... In your post you mentioned lack of information about the Reserve on the internet and I see this is your first post...So I have to ask have your looked at the Reserve thread on this forum.??? All our members there should be able to help with any questions you may have...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Mark gave you the good PDI guidance. As for accessories, there are probably a few you might consider (and I'm looking at the CR website for the Rezerve series).

1. Upgrade to the 8 cu. ft fridge. You won't regret having a bit more room, even with the outdoor fridge.

2. 50 amp service and the second AC. You can always just run a single AC if you want but having the second AC is worth the extra money. Plus 50 amp just gives you more power for everything else you want.

3. Rear ladder. Sounds silly but this is an option. If you plan on doing the roof maintenance yourself, you'll want this. (Note: On a previous thread over the past couple of weeks, I believe we learned that this is a factory-installed option ONLY.)

4. Upgraded insulation. Again, this is a factory-only option. Hopefully, the dealer you are buying from ordered it with this option. You're in Colorado. 'Nuff said?

5. Four corner power leveling jacks and power tongue jack. Yes. Absolutely. Aww, heck yeah. Makes life much, much easier.

These options are all personal choice of course and will also depend on how and where you'll be camping. Wife and I tend to camp in established RV parks (so far) so we like the creature comforts. If you're doing more boondocking, you'll need to focus a lot more on water and power management options.

Enjoy your new camper and welcome to the Forum!

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! Lots of good info and helpful folks in here.
KirkedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Abba
In your post you mentioned lack of information about the Reserve on the internet and I see this is your first post...So I have to ask have your looked at the Reserve thread on this forum.???
Thanks, I did check the reserve sub-forum, but not a lot of information there. Reviewing the internet, model specific really only returned a page with 32 complaints and a ton of online sales. On rate my camper it gives CrossRoads a 56/75, but it doesn't give details on specific models.
So specific questions that have occurred since first post.
How are the thermostats? Generically speaking, popups are garbage and "should" be replaced. Same with these?
What is the difference between reserve, reZerve, and zinger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCowboy View Post
Mark gave you the good PDI guidance. As for accessories, there are probably a few you might consider (and I'm looking at the CR website for the Rezerve series).

These options are all personal choice of course and will also depend on how and where you'll be camping. Wife and I tend to camp in established RV parks (so far) so we like the creature comforts. If you're doing more boondocking, you'll need to focus a lot more on water and power management options.
Yes on PDI, def worth the review and guidance for Friday walkthrough.

I did ask on the fridge and insulation, since it is a 2015 leftover, not sure how many options can be added this late, but still waiting on dealer response.

Funny on the jack. as with everything = personal pref. My pops says "who needs em! I like mine by hand.", but I expect my wife would appreciate the power jack if she is in charge of that, I know my mom doesn't help in that area. Same with AC, even in summer, we have always needed heat. But that assumes we stay in the mtns

My goal is to do more boon docking, but it looks like this year will be more Fed and state forest campgrounds. Many do not have hooks ups, which was another appealing part of the larger water capacity. Already researching solar options, I foresee that and battery upgrades as being needed.
AbbaZabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Congrats on the new trailer. Your story sounds like us. We had a popup with 2 adults, 3 kids and a dog. Decided we needed something bigger and upgraded to a truck and picked up our Rezerve 5th wheel last fall, got 2 trips in before we winterized and looking forward to getting out a lot more this season with the easier packing and setup.

We are also in Colorado, specifically Colorado Springs. We try to do state/national parks as much as possible. It's our first large trailer, so we'll be learning about water management this season. We have smaller tanks, but plan to maximize our time between dumps/fill ups by utilizing park facilities as much as possible during the days.
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote