Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Smile New sunset owners

Hello,

My wife and I are trading in our current Shadow Cruiser 280QBS for a new Sunset Super Lite 270BH. It appears to be a step up in quality (maybe 'refinement' is a better word) and amenities.

We put money down on the unit today and are very excited to complete the deal next week... today happens to be opening day of (gun) deer hunting, so all of the salesmen were gone! lol But that's how it is in Wisconsin.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on any potential Crossroads/Sunset specific things to pay attention to during the PDI it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike & Kristen
datasponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

-make sure you test shower pressure with pump on, all taps too
-have them water test santi flush...look inside bath cabinet for leaks
-put water in black and grey taps to make sure outside valves keep water in...some have leaked.
-make sure radio works on fm and am(my am didn't work)
=bring a dvd to test player and TV.
-check to make sure bed stays up by itself. (I now have 2 struts in mine)
-have them show you how to over ride the schwintec slide system...and undo screw if needed to get slide back in .there is a you tube video on that.salesman probably won't know.
visually try to see if tires are in line with each other

just some of the mistakes I found with mine

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Site Team

harley made some good points.
If you want to do a thorough PDI, print this out and go over/thru it and take it with you when you pick up your rig. It might make your dealer do a little better job of prepping it out if you send him a copy of the PDI and tell him this is what you expect on the walk thru.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

videotape your pdi. if it opens or closes, turns on or off you want I t demonstrated and you return the demo. Make them show you the water pump and water heater and the winterization/de winterization process. Check all the caulking carefully, look for any signs of leaks. Climb on roof to look for any possible issues also. Leave kids home with a sitter or have something to entertain them while you are doing your pdi so you are not distracted. Do NOT give them money until the pdi is complete and any repairs have been completed to your satisfaction. Even if that means leaving the trailer and coming back for it another day. Enjoy and may it bring you many happy camping trips.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Concurring with everything said here, you should do a search on this forum to see what others have found after the fact. We were blessed in having a good dealer and have not had too many issues.

Good luck and congrats on your new unit.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447
Welcome

Welcome to the forum and your new unit. I hope you have many years of enjoyment with it. Where are you from in WI? I am a full-timer but presently living in Beaver Dam temporarily.

Travel Well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone for the great input! I truly appreciate it.

@Tator447 - I'm near Lake Geneva
Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Well, it's official - we purchased a 2014 Sunset Trail Ultra Lite 270BH. During the PDI we discovered a couple of issues that they fixed right away..some trim coming off, a cabinet door that wouldn't quite close and the power jack that had 'dead spots' (they replaced it).

This unit is surely a step up for us from our Shadow Cruiser, which was decent, but the touches in the Sunset are all a bit nicer.

Now if it were only warmer so that we could actually use our new 'toy'.

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice.

-Mike
Old 11-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

ok , here we go again. Why didn't the dealer notice the trim coming off and the power jack not working properly?? Are they not PDI 'ing the unit and making sure there are no problems for the buyer?? Why are we supposed to find problems. Would not the person doing the clean up notice the trim falling off when they clean the unit and tell somebody in management??? Wonder what else was missed that is not seen??

Old 11-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

@Harley - I don't think anyone in their right mind would disagree that it sure would be nice if they went over each unit as if it was their own brand new trailer.

But I'd rather not set myself to worrying about what else could be wrong - that may have been it. Probably not, but If and when we come across something, we'll have them fix it.

For now we just want to enjoy our new trailer as much as we can in this frigid weather.

Happy holidays!
Mike
Old 11-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Site Team

Mike:
Congrats on the new trailer!!
From one Wisconsinite to another, Welcome aboard.
Would you like me to change the title on your thread,--to just--
New Sunset owners?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks, Lloyd! Sure, please change it.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Welcome hope you enjoy your new unit as much as i great bunch lots of help if needed congrats
PARTS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by datasponge View Post
Thanks, Lloyd! Sure, please change it.
Done!!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Hey Mike , don't want to scare you but from my experience with my unit and the crappy dealer I had, thee was alot of things that went wrong after the sale. New water pump after 3 weeks for one.(chinese junk replaced with sur flo. ) Kinked water hose at tank , kinked santi flush hose at black tank , and dealer just pumped grease into easy lube hub instead of taking off and inspecting ...blew rear seals. Seals replaced by a better local shop that does not even sell CR. products , but are good. I'll stop here . Enjoy your unit ...I have posts on 'mods' of things I did to mine to make life easier ...

Old 11-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Some dealers are too lazy and more concerned about their bottom line than to do their job. My dealer/owner told me that they perform a pressurized rain water leak test on all of the RVs they sale. He said it was so simple and worth the time and effort the first time out the door.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Site Team

I heard similar warnings about how bad an experience other forum members had with their dealer and problems with their RV. Didn't stop me from buying my Cruiser. If the trailers are that bad, this forum would be flooded with complaints. I've had nothing but a good experience with the dealer and with my 5th wheel. Minor problems that were fixed without a hassle.
Datasponge Best of luck with your new RV. Happy camping.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
ok , here we go again. Why didn't the dealer notice the trim coming off and the power jack not working properly?? Are they not PDI 'ing the unit and making sure there are no problems for the buyer?? Why are we supposed to find problems. Would not the person doing the clean up notice the trim falling off when they clean the unit and tell somebody in management??? Wonder what else was missed that is not seen??
When I first looked at mine I remember commenting about the sawdust and dirt on the floor. The salesman said they come that way all the time. I said it seems like they would clean it up first, he said we clean them up before their sold. I said that it seems to me they would be cleaned up before they were shown. I was just kinda blown away, and remember saying that a car dealer would never get away with that. They did do a good job of cleaning it up, but you would think that would be priority number one?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

All RV's have problems and some people complain and whine and some just know they just build crap, so fix and repair and move on. I tried both ways and I think fix and repair and move on was the best for me. The only way things are going to change is if someone builds a first class unit and stands behind it and they will come (us) even at a higher cost. As you can see the Rushmore cost more but the QC problems are there too.
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

You are very lucky Guy. It's hard to find a dealer who want to keep you as repeat buyer.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote