Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
New Camper

Well, after tenting, then pop-up'ing, we finally made the move and just purchased a new to us travel trailer. You guessed it, 2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH. We pick her up tomorrow, AND we are going to camp in her tomorrow night! It is supposed to be cold, but we are only trying her out at a local campground (they have heated water lines so they are open all year!) It is only 20 minutes from our house, and as they always say, " best to try out your camper at/close to home before going on a trip".
The wife and I have been doing research and looking on and off for over a year. We took a tour of this one, videotaped it, watched it later, and decided on it. It is in great shape, owner ordered her with lots of extras (larger fridge, larger A/C, larger furnace, larger hot water tank, extra insulation package, atwood heavy duty tongue jack sealed underbelly which I think all these models have, and more!), plus, he is throwing in all his stuff, like hydraulic jack, lynx levelers, bal chock, tools, full 30# tanks, everything! He was selling it all. His kids have just outgrown it. I am sure there is something I am forgetting seeing as you can probably tell I am very excited. Oh, and the Husky WD hitch with friction sway control. Yeah, yeah, I know it isn't an equalizer, but it is coming with it, so I will try it out now.
She is already winterized, but the guy said he will walk me through the process and show me how it all works.
I have an 04 Dodge 1500 Ram 4x4 with 3.92 rear end and Hemi engine, with 17" tires (which I just changed out the plugs earlier this week and got new Dueler A/T's and a brake job in the last few months). From the numbers, it looks ok to me since we never take water with us.
Anyway, I have enjoyed reading these forums and decided to finally join. they have helped me make a pretty good decision I think. Just need to come up with a name for her, or him as my wife thinks
With that, I will quite rambling on. Thank you.

jzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Where do you live?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Congrats on the new ST. I am not familiar with the Husky hitch, but you may want to invest in an equalizing hitch. I towed a 30' TT for years with my 1500 Suburban and it definitely needed it. Only real issue I had was a new rearend at 75K miles. Look forward to hearing how your first trip goes. Welcome to the forum.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Welcome and good traveling!

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the CR family enjoy your new unit and if you have questions, please ask a way.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Welcome to the Crossroads family. There is also a rally from the factory hosted during the summer months in Indiana. Hope you can make itthere, a large group comes every year and we have become good friends. Lots of info questions & answers new models to see after the tour of the factory. Lots of Amish food too!!!

Welive in Il. and try to get together with a group from here and camp during the summer season!!!

Good luck with you new baby asit is so exciting to move up the ladder in options for camping!! Karen & Larry
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Congrats! Looks like you took the same route as we did to arrive at our ST30BH. Hope you like it as much as we do. After 3 seasons' camping we can't think of a reason to look at anything else. Enjoy!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum and the Crossroads family. Ask away when you have questions. Lots of good, knowledgable folks here.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
New Camper

Thank you for the warm replies. As I was reading them to my wife, she became very excited about going to rallies and meeting other enthusiasts, regardless of where they are in their 'camping life'. We took him (yes, it is a he and his name is Gus, short for Augustus) and it was bone cold, but she, sorry, he held up well for the first night camping in him. As I continue to read about various brands, and after our first experience, we feel we got very lucky and are blessed to have found 'Gus'.
So where can I find out more information regarding rallies and meet-ups?
Oh, and I live in Kansas

Old 02-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
New Camper

edit

Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

check the front page of the forum under 2011 Rally once opened follow the links listed below to check out the campground you may also be able to see what has been taken or not. register with Denny Lease, he lives in Ok. . good luck it is a fun Rally too!!! Karen & Larry
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Just pack up that new trailer and head on down to the Texas Rally, March 25, 26 & 27th. at Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville, Texas. There is one spot left and we would love to have you join us. You will find all of the information in the Texas Rally 2011 thread under the Rally with CrossRoads header.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Gus, be sure your water lines don't freez-up, its still cold out at night even in Kan. We don't want your new owner to get mad, with cracked or bursting lines.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Hi welcome to the forum. We also like cold weather camping. Keep us posted on your adventures.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
New Camper

Thanks! Well, I learned to de-winterize and re-winterize him as part of our little trip. Went pretty well (after getting the hot water bypass valves set right!). I went through 3 jugs of RV anti-freeze instead of just two. Good thing I had bought one extra. BTW, that reminds me, does anyone here fill their hot water heater with anti-freeze? Also, After draining it, I just left the little plug out, so IF thier was ANY water in there, it wouldn't crack anything when it expanded when it froze. Thoughts?

He is sitting in storage right now, but we visit him every month or so. Even though I have a battery disconnect, I went ahead and brought the battery home to keep an eye on it. Do you recommend sitting the battery on wood vs just the concrete floor in the basement? I thought I heard once that sitting a battery on concrete can prematurely drain it? I have read the 12 volt side of life and many other articles. I will be buying a battery tender plus, and a telescopic ladder, and a portable air compressor. We have most everything else we need from our pup. </span>

07 Sunset Trail ST30BH

10,000 Equal-i-zer, P3

https://i.imgur.com/oI43q.jpg%20height=640

Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Leaving the plug out is standard pratice. As far as the battery I'm still old school, I just can't leave my battery on concrete. I know it's not suspost to kill batterys. I would't put any anti-freeze in hot water tank. See you on the road.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

congrats on the new camper, glad your winter trip went well - happy trails

11 Ram 2500 - Green Machine - retired
16 Chevy 2500 - Bone Crusher - the dark side
08 CR Zinger 30BH - Zing 1
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #18
hhh
Seasonal Camper

I generally put the plug back in once it is fully winterized. Any small amount of liquid in the HW tank, if frozen, will not expand enough to damage anything. Putting the plug back in prevents any critters or insects from getting into the HW tank during storage.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Martin&Rog
Welcome!

We are also new to the Crossroads family. Our first fifth wheel (2011 CF27RLX) purchased in October 2010. You will find an invaluable source of information on this forum. Everyone friendly and eager to help out.

I see you're from Kansas City. We're located in Paola, KS. Near Hillsdale Lake. Our FW is sitting in our driveway now. Our maiden voyage will be this weekend at Melvern Lake Outlet Park. So excited!! Then our first BIG trip will be a couple weeks later to Las Cruces, NM.

We'll be attending the 2011 Factory Rally in August. Hope to see you there!